Trail Cams

RCL

WKR
I have a couple of the g42ng that have been in the field six months and work well.
I have eight Brownings that have been in constant use for over two years without any problems. I prefer the Brownings as they are easy to set up and take nice pictures. Have never used video.
My Brownings include dark ops, strike force, and range ops.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought two stealth cams this last fall as they were cheap $100. so far so good only used the photo function to date

Sodbuster

WKR
Reconyx have been the gold standard for a long time but I only buy them when I find a deal.I have half a dozen Brownings and they have been good to me also.

Chris Roe

FNG
FWIW, I have both the G45NG and the Browning Dark Ops... Both are OK for the money, but IMO:

G45NG day pics can sometimes look like they are painted watercolor paintings, not necessarily "Pictures," and nighttime photos can be QUITE blurry (making it difficult to either make out facial recognition, or tine characteristics unless the target is close, and moving slowly. But it does have a "passcode" option.

The Brownings do not have a passcode option, and take AWESOME day pics, but again, night pics are lacking. Also, some cameras end up requiring you to pop the battery tray out in order to actually turn them off/get them to turn back on (a minor inconvenience). Also, if you are using in the cold, or you have thick fingers with no fingernails to speak of, the SD card can be a pain to remove given it has to be inserted "upside down" and very close to the housing. Again, minor inconvenience.

Between the two, I think the Browning edges out the Stealth Cam - UNLESS YOU NEED THE PASSCODE OPTON - IMO. And yes, with a more expensive camera, generally you get better performance. I absolutely LOVE my HCO Spartan NoGlow GoCams, but they run $400 and up.

Check out Game & Trail Camera Reviews - Trail Cam Buying Guides-Trailcampro.com for other ideas and ratings...

svivian

WKR

These were taken with the G42NG I leave my cameras up all year long and the battery lasts about 10 months with lithiums.

svivian

WKR
It is the 42 model because I got it before the 45 came out. I think the key to good photos is not the camera itself but how you place it. The sun plays a huge factor in day shots.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
Here is some pic and video samples. All the stealthcams are g42's. The Browning vids are BTC7's and the pics are BTC5's. There are a few Bushnell pics and 1 cell phone vid too. Also the elk I got this year was caught on the Browning and I had a Sony action cam strapped to my noggin.
2016 Elk Hunt - YouTube

I have had good luck with the browning strike force camera's as well.

I prefer the red IR camera's as i seem to get better night pictures then the "blackout" models.

I have the stealth cam g30s as well as a g42. I have been very happy with both. I had the 42 over a water hole for about 5 months this last summer/season. I got over 2000 pics of elk and a few deer and the batteries were still at ~50% when i went to pull it. I think the night time pics are just fine that it produces, and the day time pics were great (don't have access to my photos at the moment or I'd post some up). No complaints here at all with either model.

But I will second (or third) what has been said about placement. Even the 'best of the best' trail cameras will produce crappy photos if placed facing into the sun.

Edit: look at svivian's pics. he has the same camera I do that I referenced above.