onxmaps vs garmin huntview

bowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
I want to purchase micro sd chip for my garmin gps. Are the garmin maps as good as onx maps I see they are about 20$ cheaper

Shoreman

FNG
In . . . I just purchased a Garmin and am wondering the same thing. Being from the East Cost and most recently TX trying to prep for hunting the mountains has be a bit overwhelmed.

Hunthigh1

WKR
garmin sux? any more info out there regarding a comparison between these two options? I'm in the same situation as the OP. Thanks

Never used ONx or garmin maps but I am a fellow East Coast hunter and I run MTTRAX, has been a life saver so far. Here's a comparison off of the Kirsch Outdoor website between MTTRAX vs Garmin maps:

MTTRAX contains Block Management Area lands and Open Fields information; Hunt View does not.
MTTRAX can run on any Garmin which accepts a memory card such as Automotive Nuvis; Hunt View only works on handhelds.
MTTRAX has hunting units for Elk, Bear, Goat, Antelope, Sheep, and Moose; Hunt View does not.
MTTRAX contains contact telephone numbers on 50% of private land records; Hunt view does not.
MTTRAX is a layered map allowing features to be turned off and on; Hunt View is not
MTTRAX is updated twice per year; Hunt View will not provide updates. The product must be purchased again.
MTTRAX contains fishing, hiking, camping and other data such as Fishing Access Sites; Hunt View does not.
MTTRAX can be purchased individually or as part of the 8 state Western Bundle including Montana; Hunt View is a single state only.
Hunt View has satellite imagery: TRAX maps can work with satellite imagery if you download birds eye satellite imagery to your internal memory of your GPS. With layers, you then can have a more optimized combination map vs the Hunt View solution.

Nuke Man

WKR
I run Onx, my cousin had his garmin with the Garmin chip. Onx is definitely better. Mine showed more trails, land boundaries are much easier to identify and Onx will show land owner names. I can honestly say I prefer the Onx over hunt view.

Dameon

WKR
OnX all the way. The state specific chips are great, but the OnX Hunt app for your phone is even better if you download all the images for your unit first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pilger

FNG
Don't make the mistake I did. I bought the onxmap chip thinking it was basically the phone app loaded on to a state specific chip. They are very different.
Has anyone tried the chips made by diyhuntingmaps?
I have been thinking of trying one..

I have used the Garmin Huntview in AZ and CO and have no complaints. When hunting out of state I dont need to know who owns the land, I only need to know if it is public which the Garmin does. I also have no complaints on the trails and such. The Huntview showed me trails I could barely even find they were so old or unused. And the aeriel photos are great.

I have the huntview on my Montana and it works fine for me. The satellite images are good. I use onX on my phone and it defiantly has more features, but it’s the phone app not the gps chip so I can’t comment on that

Just thought I would bring this thread back to see if there are anymore reviews or thoughts...Looking at the alpha 200i and Montana 700i and noticed that neither support the OnX chips. I have been a hardcore OnX phone app user for the last several years.

What I really need them to make is a garmin rhino that takes the OnX cards and has inreach...that would really help me consolidate some crap :)

I have the garmin 200i and think the garmin map is fine for use in Wisconsin. Not sure how much detail anyone expects to see on a 3” screen topi seems good but haven’t used it out west yet