text via gps on cell phone

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
How is this tech not available yet? Any idea how long before we will be able to send out texts on cell phones via gps? Seems like if thats how spot devices do it there would be a way to do it from a phone

I would have to say it most likely wouldn't work in a lot of the areas. I'm betting they did their tests in flat land and got a 4 mile range from it, I've been in hell holes where my gps couldn't even connect.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
GPS is not a two-way communication network. Your GPS device is a receiver only, it does not transmit anything back to the GPS satellite network. For most US devices, that network is Navstar. Other countries have other networks, and some devices can receive signals from multiple networks.

Spot devices work on the Globalstar satellite communication network. InReach devices work on the Iridium satellite communication network.

The GoTenna that mtswampfox mentions is a device-to-device radio messenger, totally different animal. I'm not familiar with it, but it basically looks like a "walkie talkie" for text messages.

Fun educational GPS reading: How does the Global Positioning System (GPS) work ?

Last edited:

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
I can't wait until cell phones can communicate via satellites. It would be nice to have phone/text, gps, mapping, and rescue beacon all in one device!

dotman

WKR
I can't wait until cell phones can communicate via satellites. It would be nice to have phone/text, gps, mapping, and rescue beacon all in one device!

All eggs in one basket :). I doubt we ever see it as there is not a large enough market for cell phone carriers to provide this service. The technology is easily there but why would a carrier pay a very expensive fee to access either satellite network for a less then .0001% of its customer base.

Dish network bought up a ton, I mean a ton of spectrum that was meant for satellite communications, they had it converted for use for a cell network with the FCC so now there is even less spectrum available for satellite activity, the demand just isn't there.

Dish Network Wireless Plan Gets FCC Approval | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, satellite text messaging is exactly what the Inreach does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Odell

Odell

Lil-Rokslider

Right, but when will a cell phone be able to do it via an app? That's the tech I'm hoping for. I don't want to buy a inreach if I don't have to

Brendan

WKR

Right, but when will a cell phone be able to do it via an app? That's the tech I'm hoping for. I don't want to buy a inreach if I don't have to

It probably won't be able to because it would need an entirely different type of radio, chip, communication methodology. You'd basically need a cell phone designed to be a combination of a normal cell phone and gps, plus satellite phone. And if it was available - it'd probably cost you more than just buying an InReach

dotman

WKR

I think your confusing gps vs satellite communications, these are not the same thing.

OP
Odell

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure I'm definitely confused on the tech. All I know is my phone has a gps....

dotman

WKR
I'm sure I'm definitely confused on the tech. All I know is my phone has a gps....

Yup but gps is not what allows satellite communication, these are completely different then gps. An Inreach has both gps and the iridium satellite network a cell phone has gps and whatever network your carrier uses that is land based. The Avg price of a Satellite phone is around $1000 and does not work with the cell networks.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider

Your cell phone/GPS is a receiver only, it cannot transmit anything back to the GPS satellites. The satellites transmit their location in space, and the time they were at that location. Your phone receives those signals, and uses them to calculate your location. The only interaction your phone can have with satellites is to receive the GPS data that is being broadcasted. The satellites don't even know your phone is there. Satellite messengers (InReach, Spot) have a GPS receiver, and are capable of receiving and transmitting messages on a completely different set of satellites.

This is a hardware issue, and there is never going to be an app for that.

OP
Odell

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Your cell phone/GPS is a receiver only, it cannot transmit anything back to the GPS satellites. The satellites transmit their location in space, and the time they were at that location. Your phone receives those signals, and uses them to calculate your location. The only interaction your phone can have with satellites is to receive the GPS data that is being broadcasted. The satellites don't even know your phone is there. Satellite messengers (InReach, Spot) have a GPS receiver, and are capable of receiving and transmitting messages on a completely different set of satellites.

This is a hardware issue, and there is never going to be an app for that.

Good explanation. Thank you

Learned a lot with this post thanks all. Just wondering some point down the long road the techs decide a cell system is obsolite and go to satelite communications solely?