In Reach SE - SAR Insurance / Additional Coverage?

cnelk

WKR
Anyone purchase the SAR insurance or Emergency Evac thru Garmin/DeLorme?

Anyone ever use it?

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
No.

IMO it is geared towards those who are out of US or in very remote areas where a SAR effort is unusual. Typically in the US as long as you are not negligent or reckless you are not billed for a rescue/recovery. We already pay for the funding of teams through taxes, access fees, etc...

dotman

WKR
Yes - it's cheap and covers medivac expenses which are not free with SAR. I've seen two guys pulled out of my hunting area and both took the expensive helicopter ride. Truthfully unless it is minor I think most SAR's will send you in a bird and not take a chance.

I've never used it and hope to never use it.

SAR (in Colorado at least) does not, and hopefully never, will charge any rescue subject a dime. I've been on more than a few missions where the subject initially refused assistance in fear of being charged but immediately changed their minds when informed otherwise. This is a scenario we all want to avoid.

SAR organizations are all volunteer and are required in each county by the Sheriff's office.

But if you accept a heli evac from an air medic service, your health insurance almost certainly will be billed (a lot).

I'm not positive about billing for a HAATS evac but I believe you won't be charged for that.

pointer26

Lil-Rokslider
I just had a Helicopter ride with Sars and it did not cost me a dime. The Sheriff's department told me they would charge if you are being stupid and taking chances and get hurt. Please consider donating money or gear to your local SAR. SAR organizations are all volunteers.

Who was the air service you flew with and which county? I'm pretty sure there isn't a "was being stupid" check box on the evaluation form and my experience is they have to be a little more objective than that. If the SO charged every subject who I personally thought was being stupid, we'd have a lot more money down here. But every service has a different policy so you never know.