Sat phone advice/help

Did some searching and couldn't find a breakdown. Sorry if this has been asked before.

I have a need to rent a sat phone every year usually for a couple trips out of the country or long hunts in back country. I estimated that I have a need for a sat phone at least 2 times a year. We have been renting up to this point...but strongly considering a purchase.

Does it make sense for me to purchase a sat phone? How long does it take a sat phone to be outdated or unusable?
Does anyone have any information on a break even point?

Also what phones do you guys own/rent and which brand/company should I be concentrating on?

Daniel_M

WKR
Did some searching and couldn't find a breakdown. Sorry if this has been asked before.

I have a need to rent a sat phone every year usually for a couple trips out of the country or long hunts in back country. I estimated that I have a need for a sat phone at least 2 times a year. We have been renting up to this point...but strongly considering a purchase.

Does it make sense for me to purchase a sat phone? How long does it take a sat phone to be outdated or unusable?
Does anyone have any information on a break even point?

Also what phones do you guys own/rent and which brand/company should I be concentrating on?

I can't offer any regional help, but I've had one here in Alaska going on 5 years. It's a Iridium 9555, I don't consider it outdated...it works and it's still supported via the local calling plans. Our semi-annuals rates just went up, but I pay about $225 twice a year for 200 minutes which can stack up. I carry it everywhere I go and use it frequently from May to October/November. I'd say it's my most prized piece of outdoor gear because cell coverage doesn't exist in many places I go.

jfronk

FNG
First want to start out that I really know nothing about sat phones but I know the one Gritty Bowmen podcast went in to some detail on what Aron Snyder used. Might want to check that out. I think it was number 132. Hopefully it'll be of some help. He mentioned that he used explorer satellite out of Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel_M

WKR
I'd jump on this. If I were ready to upgrade I'd be all over it.

54b9b624869273c68fc1d1c85922cf95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am required to carry one per my Outfitter permits for emergencys. I purchased the globalstar plan it's 78 bucks a month for 12 months with like 90 minutes per month. If you don't use the minutes you lose them. But after 12 month subscription the phone is mine, and then I am only pay for months when i am required to have the phone may-December basically and then shut it off the rest of the year. But I carry mine everywhere. My town in Colorado has no cell service and that phone could save someone's life if there was an accident on the highway or something.

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
I owned and used the Iridium extreme 9575 for years that I bought from Explorer satellite.. Great phone and great service but the minutes plan had changed and instead of banking my minutes I would lose then all and need to pay for a new plan. It was costing about $700.00 per year for an emergency phone as I didn't use nearly all my plan minutes. I sold it and went with the Garmin inreach which should suit my purposes better.
The inreach also has a dedicated emergency number which the sat phone does not. Hope that info helps