Anybody use Moultrie Mobile to get trailcam pics?

redneck19

FNG
I know oftentimes cell service is lacking in the woods, but in researching wireless camera options, I ran across the "Moultrie Mobile modem", which attaches to the game camera, and sends the pictures via wireless to a phone. It apparently requires a seperate cell phone plan.
Just curious if anyone here had experience with it?
Was it worth the cost?

Thanks

mrgreen

WKR
Hey, and Welcome.

Didn't see this before, I've been using the Moultrie Mobile for nearly a year. Nothing but praise for the system and the Moultrie CS people.

If you have Cell Sig GET IT!

Just a couple ways it's helped me;

-Twice showed me that deer were in my spot as I hiked in. I hunted a different spot that morning, I would have blown them out and never known 'Where did all the deer go?'

-Had one of the cameras crap out on me. Night shots were total blackouts. Moultrie was able to see it also (images go to their servers). They sent me a new camera with return label. And since "it's out in the woods" they gave me about two weeks to get the busted one into the mail.

It couldn't be simpler, everything goes through Moultrie, not a separate Cell Plan Carrier. So, the Modem is about $199 and works with a bunch of their cameras. Monthly plan costs me about $15. You can adjust up or down based on how many pics you're getting. I save more then that in gas to check cameras in person.

I hope that helps, any other questions-fire away.

OP
R

redneck19

FNG
Thanks!

So, I noticed that they have several different price options for number of pictures sent through the modem. Which do you recommend?

Also, this may just be user error, but oftentimes I get LOADS of pics of just branches waving in the wind. I'd hate to have to pay for those pictures.

mrgreen

WKR
You're welcome.

I'd suggest start with the smallest monthly plan. You can easily change it if necessary, the website or phone app has a 'dashboard' for anything like that.

It's funny you mention branches triggering the camera, in the last 2 days I have about 100 pics like that. At least with this setup I know to get out there and trim branches before my sd card fills up.

OP
R

redneck19

FNG
Awesome. Thank you for the advice. Definitley will be giving that a shot come August.

Haha! Yeah...I used to need to check my cameras once a week just to make sure the cards wouldn't fill up from the 3-400 pictures of branches blowing around.

So, I'm also wondering if this would be a good option for a western scouting trip. I'm planning a elk hunt for next year and batting around the idea of picking two or three likely spots on google earth, flying out and putting several of these systems up to see if elk are around. If I don't get any pictures, at least I won't waste hunting time in those spots.