Stealth Cam Test Project, by Ryan & Robby, sponsored by Black Ovis

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, the problem of camera on/off times (called Activity setting in app and camera) is resolved.

Not sure why it took 24 hours for the camera to accept the changes in Activity time. I do know that my iPhone did an update that same night so it's possible it interrupted the midnight transmit which is when the GXW would have been synced with the app.

And Ryan's GXW accepted Activity changes first try, so it is very possible it was just me (as usual).

I was asked why I wouldn't want 24 hour activity on my cams? Super question.

In my nine years of running scouting cameras exclusively for big mule deer, I've found very very few big bucks water between sunrise and sunset in hunted units in the pre-season, so shutting off the camera saves tons of wasted photos of birds, does, fawns, cow elk, etc. This is on water sources. However, if running the camera on a game trail, I do expand the hours as those can be used by bucks during daylight hours, especially if the trail is in heavy cover.

Besides wasted photos, it also saves battery, card space, and now with the GXW, saves data, too.

Each person will have to decide on Activity times depending on situation. I just like that I have the option to choose exact times compared to night/day options only.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
the GXW is responding to any setting change made on the app. Think of the app as your "remote control". You can change activity times, upload frequency (which will have a lot to do with how long your battery lasts) and times that upload is done. I have mine now set to twice daily, midnight and noon.

One thing I've learned, and was confirmed by Stealth Cam, was not to trust the battery reading shown on the app too much. It jumps all over the place. The camera reading is accurate, but the whole point in going wireless will prevent you from physically checking the camera as often. This is why testing the camera at home is critical so you know what to expect on battery.

Next phase, test the optional solar panel rechargeable battery AND the G34PRO (non wireless scouting cam).

sneaky

"DADDY"
looks like an open and shut case of self defense. The bear was armed, you can see the pistol clearly in that one pic. I'd say it's justifiable homicide. Nice!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

7cfcdacd0d0f54fe2cf57800239b3e31.jpg

Started testing the G34PRO in preparation to get into the hills. Very compact camera.

This is Stealth's economy camera. Black Ovis has them less than $100 to $119 depending on number purchased in their volume discount program.

Breeze to set up.

No screen to review photos on, so a serious scouter would need either the memory card reader for either iPhone or Android or there is an 4.3" color LCD viewer available.

Stealth Cam Accessories

These options save you money in the long run if you're a multi-cam owner as you only have to own one LCD. plus the viewers allow a bigger screen than most cams have for easier viewing.

At this point, I'll just use the mini-USB to USB to view the photos on my laptop until I decide where this camera is headed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

I hit 1,000 photos on the GXW varying my settings all over the spectrum via the remote. All's well so I just switched it to video via the remote, 10 seconds, 60 minute delay (it's on a horse trough so no need for shorter duration) sound on, standard quality. I'll report back.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I moved my delay to ten minutes, I'm now getting about 15 to 20 pics a day.
da45edee2b000a694784a16c17bc95a9.jpg

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am going to have get a couple of those cameras. That's pretty slick and they've come down in price a lot. It would save a ton of time going back and forth to check cards.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
[video=youtube_share;L6AATasQG8w]https://youtu.be/L6AATasQG8w[/video]

I can hear a dove cooing in the background!

This is incredible to be able to switch from photo to video. WOW.

Even though video will burn through battery and data faster, with the remote, you could still use video sparingly.

Around here, on water, when a heat wave hits, it could be worth it to switch to video for a few days. These GXW cams give you so many choices.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If all goes well, this GXW will be on the mountain in the next 48 hours....

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, just made the 120 mile drive to where I'm setting the GXW up. Staying at the truck tonight, hike in at daylight so I can glass too.

Good news, I checked signal and as the map predicted, I should be fine to transmit as I have 69% signal strength. Check off that part of this test.

I set up the Cam on the hood of the pickup and set it to send photos instantly while I got camp ready.
a9b5b4749338ef8769cbe6a7c47c381b.jpg

You have to Update Location every time you move so it can connect to the new towers. Did that and about 5 minutes later, saw that I had a photo of my neck on my phone.
af17e72b4d3cceaffbd1ac1b7c481508.jpg

Upload Instantly is a battery burner so I switched it back to Twice Daily. Should be good to go.

Additional info, I'm running 12 AA lithiums Duracells now. For that first 10 days, I ran the alkaline Duracell and after 1100 photos and 6 videos, I had 40% battery left. That was mostly on Twice Daily uploads, but towards the end of the test had the time delay set at 10 minutes to an even an hour. Based on that, if I was expecting a lot of photos, those alkaline might make it two weeks max. I'm hoping the lithiums will run longer. I'd like to see a month?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
276a6ddd52aba7a55ab0c2e5b777f2d2.jpg

The GXW has been deployed. Left it shortly after 830 AM

I set Active Time 7:30 PM to 8:30 AM, to Transmit Twice Daily at Midnight and Noon

That means if I set it right, and I have any deer show up or other animals, I should have photos in the morning after the midnight transmit. NERVE RACKING as I can't just run up and fix it if something's wrong.

Also, glassed up two bucks at about 1.5 miles right at sunrise. One was past his ears and getting a basket. He was in same canyon I set camera in so we might all get a look at him.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
0c7f1dc108338d73987f7504ab9e6ff5.jpg

Success. I received my first photo from a scouting cam in the woods from over 120 miles from home.

I received three photos total. Not sure what set it off, but at least I'm sure it's working.

I set the camera from the remote to transmit 2x/day at noon and midnight for now. Weather is hot. If it cools off I might switch to 1x/day

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

On my noon Transmit, got my first mule deer for the 2017 season.

This is a three second burst. Gives you an idea of trigger speed
0e7623c393406a083be57abbac0df838.jpg

c4408f58083191df16523bcaf269294a.jpg

6eba530b9c74567048e243d47fababe5.jpg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Really enjoying this test Robby and Ryan. I have a spot I think these would work really well at and may have to buy a couple. That battery life is a little concerning but maybe you'll see better results with the lithium batteries.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Really enjoying this test Robby and Ryan. I have a spot I think these would work really well at and may have to buy a couple. That battery life is a little concerning but maybe you'll see better results with the lithium batteries.

Hi Justin, not that I trust the app battery meter, but it hasn't budged in 4 days. Also, there is a 12v system with a solar panel available. I'll be testing that too, shortly.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The GXW is transmitting a few photos.
d2bf1f343c100da101e2d70006e1a680.jpg

a4be4ae1739f956cc32403d9cd72e743.jpg

Top photo shows a bluebird lower right and is why I set the cam to shut down at 830 am as that's when the bird activity really starts up. Today, all photos were of birds after daylight.

Weather has cooled from 95 to 75 and some showers so consequently water hole activity dropped way off for deer. I'm setting it to Transmit 1x/day to save on battery until the weather heats back up.

Working to get the G34 on the mountain. Running a 12v battery test on that one.

Stay tuned...

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The 12v system w/ solar panel arrived. Reading up on it now

1d8b8c46d475589b625eff372b35a2e2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So far not impressed with the lack of clear instructions for the 12v system. Jumping on line now