Best GPS for a dummy

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking into the purchase of a GPS. I like using my iPhone and works great but planning on a 5-7 day hunt and the phone just dies too fast. Besides using my phone which is pretty simple, I'm old school when it comes to land nav. I'm a compass and protractor kinda guy.
I don't know a thing about gps's. What would be a good one to get that simple to use and has a nice image similar to the iPhone?
Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

Doesn't have the nice screen, but Garmin eTrex 20 or 30 is pretty simple. Tiny screen. could be a good backup for your map/compass setup. In my 30, I run it all day when I'm moving and 2 aa batteries last 2.5 days

I am a complete idiot when it comes to technical GPS's, so a couple years ago I set out to find one that was as user friendly as possible and one that I could have topo's loaded on it. I ended up with a Garmin Montana 600 and purchased an OnXmaps chip. It's touch screen, somewhat water proof, and super user friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reelnmn

FNG
I may be alone in my recommendation but my GPS Garmin eTrex 30 has become my last resort backup. I only use it to get back to camp or vehicle if everything else fails. I now use my Galaxy S7 with OnXMaps app as primary and Backcountry navigator app as backup. Both can utilize offline maps. With both apps running, one tracking, and airplane mode enabled, I burn about 30% battery per day of scouting. When I backpack in I will be bringing an external battery pack that provides 8 full charges to my phone. That gives me over 20 days of use...far more than I'll ever need.

Not to mention the OnXmaps is much more user friendly/cheaper on the phone that the Garmin...and offline Garmin Basecamp is just plain terrible IMO.

danarnold

WKR
Gaia GPS app on my iphone blows away my garmin crap, you can download base maps for the area with many choices of overlays, it'll run in airplane mode and save battery, has lots of info/instructions that are easy to follow .
I also bring an anker batt pack
download ahead of time to get familiar with it, you wont be disappointed or intimidated using it

Gaia. $20 one time. Then put in 'anker powercore' on Amazon and for under $50 get whichever power pack you're willing to carry. I went candy bar size. At least 2 full iPhone charges. I turn off my phone and only power up to get a gps read. Might not be necessary but I don't need it full time. Note - I had turned off location services because I didn't want apple tracking every store and restaurant I go to. Had issues with accuracy until I remembered to turn it back on. Strangely it wasn't like it didn't work at all. Just sometimes did and sometimes showed I was 10 miles away. Anyway just have it on and it's rock solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
It is a bit sad how we've all come to rely on computers, satellites, and digital equipment....even when we're outdoors. I always have an eTrex 30 as a backup but use a map (and sometimes a compass) to navigate in the backcountry.

Wilderness navigation skills are a lost art.

I hardly use a gps. But I will use them when I have a buddy who texts me coordinates of a kill and needs help packing out. Times
Like that a gps is nice. They are nice showing private/public parcels.

Beendare

WKR
Former Garmin junky

now all in on GAIA.

I keep my phone in airplane mode [iPhone 7 plus] and it lasts 4-5 days without any supplemental charge from a batt pack using GAIA maps as GPS and taking photos, alarm in the AM etc. My big screen makes it nice with the loaded topos.

I used it this yr in remote central Ca, Alaska and Montana.....works great. The maps on GAIA are as good if not better than the GPS units.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Gaia.

No need to carry a separate GPS. Down load the maps before heading out. Use Airplane mode, dim down the display and turn everything else off. Super easy to use. Learn to plot waypoints and your golden. See or shoot an animal, plot your spot, then plot the animals location on the map, and that will help you to recover or stalk.

frankrb3

WKR
Thanks guys, I will check them out. I like the touch screen idea though!

I use a garmin 64ST which has buttons. I like the buttons because I can still operate the unit with heavy gloves/mittens. I know you can get gloves that allow you to use touch screens devices but I'd rather wear whatever I want. Regardless of your preference I think Garmin is a great brand to go with and the bigger touch screen units are going to function more like your cell phone.