Rent my InReach

muddydogs

WKR
You have to add them so they can access the account, only other way to create an account is with the units IMIE # and access code which you have already used to create your account. I'm not sure what info is required to create an account, you might be able to just add there name and email then they can add the rest. The couple times I loaned my unit out the person was standing next to the computer so we filled in the user account page completely. There's no indication on the add user page what info is required.

muddydogs

WKR
This is kind of a bummer to hear, in terms of longevity. Are there warranties for our units? I was hoping it would last longer than 3-5 years.

Out of 80 units I have had 15 go down due to button issues and battery issues, I will point out that I have users that cover every spectrum of human behavior from the tech challenged to the tech nerd. I'm sure some of the battery issues are from people leaving there uncharged or low charged units set over the winter which is hard on a battery. Lets face it the users don't pay for the unit so sometimes the care factor is cruddy.
Some of the button issues I have corrected by taking the unit apart and cleaning the contact pads. I have also fixed a couple units that wouldn't start up or run correctly by removing the battery for a few minutes. Now Garmin is going to tell you that these units are not user serviceable but I never figure that applies to me and 8 flat head screws later the unit is open. Mess with your unit at your own risk. I have yet to source a replacement battery for the unit but I'm working on it when I have time to search the web.
My oldest unit is 3 years old so it will be interesting to see how the units and battery's hold up over the next few years, these are the old Delorme SE units. A couple months ago I acquired our first Garmin Explorer+ units.
My personal SE unit is also three years old with no signs of a weakening battery or any issues what so ever but then again I paid for the thing and tend to take care of my stuff.

xziang

WKR
..... I have yet to source a replacement battery for the unit but I'm working on it when I have time to search the web..

If you do find out please let us know. I've had mine for 2 years and haven't had any issues with it yet. I still need to work on using the 'link' to a smart phone which didn't work to well for me the first time I tried it. That would save the 'buttons' on the unit itself.

muddydogs

WKR
If you do find out please let us know. I've had mine for 2 years and haven't had any issues with it yet. I still need to work on using the 'link' to a smart phone which didn't work to well for me the first time I tried it. That would save the 'buttons' on the unit itself.

Blue toothed to your phone is the only way to roll, gives you access to your phones full address book as well as a somewhat normal key board. My old Android LG phone would have some problems connecting and reconnecting if I moved to far away from the unit but I have noticed with my new month old phone that I no longer have these problems. With the old phone I would have to tell the InReach to forget the phone then repair the phone and InReach Bluetooth connection, sometime I would have to go to the phones Bluetooth list and tell it to forget the InReach unit and do the whole set up again. I'm thinking that this was phone issues and not InReach issues.
I use my phone with the Earthmate hunt addition for my GPS unit, if I'm out hunting or moving slow I am bluetoothed to the InReach and let it do the tracking. If I'm moving fast like on the ATV or want a detailed track log then I don't Bluetooth the inreach and track my trail via the phones location setting as this gives me a much more detailed track. A guy can cover a lot of ground in 10 minutes on an ATV which is what the track interval is set for on the InReach.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
unchained, I would gladly pay a replacement amount if i broken, lost, or damaged the unit.

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds good. Planning on giving this a go this year and next. People that I have said can have it, we may need to sit on a phone call so I can set you up as a user. More to come after I putz with it this weekend.

muddydogs

WKR
I would make up a spreadsheet or word document with the required info so the renter can fill it out and you could cut and paste it into the forum. Less chance of data entry errors.

There is also a PDF version of the manual available on the Garmin site that you could forward to your renters.

muddydogs

WKR
So I added my wife to my account as a user. You do have to fill out the entire user sheet, if you don't and try and save it the page flags red "this field required" text all over. Once saved the sheet said that password reset instructions have been sent to email address. Wife did get the email.

I have all this stuff figured out as well as instructions and quick tips sheets typed up for my work units with pictures and everything. To bad there are some differences between the personal account and corporate enterprise accounts. If they worked the same I would share.

I'll throw this warning out there. Make sure the SOS slider lock button on the SE is slid all the way to the right, the slider should click. You can make sure it's all the way locked by pressing the SOS button, if the button is solid the lock is engaged, if the button pushes in your lock slider is not engaged. It takes a 5 second press on the SOS button to activate the SOS feature so don't be afraid to do a quick press. Why is this important you may ask, well even with the unit off a 5 second press on the SOS button turns the unit on and puts it in SOS mode. If the unit is in your pack or the volume is turned off you won't know the unit is sending an SOS until the search and rescue team finds you.

Rx2fish

FNG
Interested in Wisconsin

I picked up a Garmin InReach Explorer for this year to ease my wife's mind while I am solo. I am only going to be using it for two weeks out of the year. If anyone trust worthy would be interested in renting it from me it is possible we could work something out.

Any chance we can talk about this? [email protected]

muddydogs

WKR
Just an FYI, it appears that Garmin has made it harder to loan out units as they have done away with the add user feature. When I called them because I couldn't add a user I was told that they kept the number of users currently in the profile but dropped the add user function, unfortunately I only had 1 user added. The work around for me is I have to change all the info for the 1 user each time I give it to another person or just make a general account.

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
It got to be too much work shipping it out and whatnot for me not actually making anything on it. Everyone I did send it to was great, and I was happy to help them out, but getting to the post office just became a hassle.