Rent my InReach

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Garmin InReach Explorer for this year to ease my wife's mind while I am solo. I am only going to be using it for two weeks out of the year. If anyone trust worthy would be interested in renting it from me it is possible we could work something out.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I would be interested for a 2018 alaska hunt from Sept 14-22. I live in MN and I could provide some references. I am in the same boat, I would be willing to buy one, but I don't go on really remote hunts very often.

Ruskin

WKR
I'm interested. What 2 weeks are planning on using it and what time period are you willing to let others use it?

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
This year I will have it from Aug 22-Sept 7. Other then that I am willing to loan it out for my cost of shipping, payment of the plan for that month, and if you are feeling generous, a few extra bucks. Mikkel your Alaska days should work, let me just check on my Elk hunt next year.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
unchained, That sounds very fair and I just thought I would throw some dates out there. If you do draw a good tag for elk and need to use it, I will not be disappointed.

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the hunt I will be going on doesn't start until Oct 1 so it should be doable. I just hatched this idea recently and haven't dug too deep into it, but in looking at the cost to rent, I figured I would just buy one, and help others out by hopefully letting them borrow it for cheaper. Seems like a good idea.

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Panther City its yours for those dates. Send me a PM and we will talk details. I am thinking about running it at expedition level on the freedom plan which is $64.95 per month. This amounts to unlimited text messages and basic weather. If there is more interest for it year round I may contemplate doing an annual expedition level for 49.99 per month. I am still in the infant stages of the planning of getting this thing passed around so you will have to bear with me.

efnm

WKR
I'd be interested in renting it for a week in early August. Aug 2 - 10 would be the days I need it by and would be able to ship it off by.

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
EFNM August 2-10
Me August 22- Sept 5
Panther City Sept 15-24
Pods Oct 13-31

Mikkel next year late sept

muddydogs

WKR
As a guy that runs 80 InReaches for my work I would caution you to get a replacement fund started. The battery in the unit is only good for 5 years but I am seeing less life out of a hard used unit. Most of my units are 3 years old and I am starting to see button and battery issues, my personal unit is also 3 years old with no issues but it doesn't get used as hard as the work ones. You have to think that each new person that rents your unit is going to have to play around with it trying to figure things out plus the field use is going to wear the unit more then normal.

The unit is easy to loan as you can switch users and create a new profile for each renter so they only see there info and no one else's, it will require some data entry on your part setting up the unit for each user. Make sure you figure out what you need for contacts from each renter so you have all the info needed to enter.

Not to be a downer but you do realize that renting your unit will probably cost you more money in the end. Eventually your going to rent it to that one guy that loses it, doesn't pay or cracks the screen and leaves you holding the bag.

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your concern. I guess my thinking is lets try this out for the year, and see how it goes. I realize I probably will not make a dime, but I am helping a few people out. I believe the couple people I have spoken with are gentleman and would be willing to replace the unit if they caused its demise. Could you tell me a bit more about the setting up the unit for each individual user for the year?

muddydogs

WKR
In your online account select the Account tab then select the Users tab. Once you open the Users tab you will see a button to create a new user were you will be able to enter in a new user and there emergency contact info. Once the user is created you can assign your unit to that user by going back to the Users tab. After assigning the user you will need to sync the unit which will populate the unit with the new users info.

muddydogs

WKR
Once you have created a user as I remember Garmin will send the new user a email link to the web site were the user can create a password and access the account to set up there contacts and change there emergency info. Its been a while since I loaned my inreach out and the corporate account I deal with is a little different so verify the email link to the new user.

Its also good practice to go into the settings on the InReach itself, scroll to the bottom of the options and pick restore factory settings to clear the unit of old user info then sync the unit with a new user just to avoid any problems with removing and adding contacts. Once the unit has been restored to factory settings the new user can be synced with the unit.

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Now, if I am paying for the plan, can I just send the device to the renting user restored to factory settings and allow them to do all of this, or do I have to do this since I am the one paying on the account.

As a guy that runs 80 InReaches for my work I would caution you to get a replacement fund started. The battery in the unit is only good for 5 years but I am seeing less life out of a hard used unit. Most of my units are 3 years old and I am starting to see button and battery issues, my personal unit is also 3 years old with no issues but it doesn't get used as hard as the work ones. You have to think that each new person that rents your unit is going to have to play around with it trying to figure things out plus the field use is going to wear the unit more then normal.

The unit is easy to loan as you can switch users and create a new profile for each renter so they only see there info and no one else's, it will require some data entry on your part setting up the unit for each user. Make sure you figure out what you need for contacts from each renter so you have all the info needed to enter.

Not to be a downer but you do realize that renting your unit will probably cost you more money in the end. Eventually your going to rent it to that one guy that loses it, doesn't pay or cracks the screen and leaves you holding the bag.

This is kind of a bummer to hear, in terms of longevity. Are there warranties for our units? I was hoping it would last longer than 3-5 years.