Replace GPS with Inreach?

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought the new inreach explorer and I have a question for those of you that have been using the inreach.

Are any of you replacing your GPS units and using the inreach instead? I currently have a gpsmap 64st that is awesome, but with the inreach I have that as a backup and I have the earthmate map on my phone. Am I carrying extra weight bringing the gps along as well? I understand that preserving the battery life on the inreach should be top priority, but if I am using my cell phone as a gps unit is there a reason to bring the gpsmap along?

I plan on bringing my gps along as well until I gain some experience with the inreach but I would like to gain some insight from you guys.

I just have the SE model so can not help. How do the maps look on the new Explorer? Does it distinguish wilderness from say National Forest? I would think about upgrading but thought about waiting a year to see if Garmin adds more map options like using my onx SD card.

muddydogs

WKR
So just to be clear you are caring 3 GPS units, your phone, Inreach explorer and 64st? Your phone with the earthmate app will have the best maps available if you have them downloaded to the phone. The Explorer is just running Garmin base map and any other map you might import into the web based mapping program.
I use my phone as my GPS and let the InReach set idle until I need to send a message, if something should happen to my phone then I would have the InReach GPS function as backup and the preloaded maps on the Explorer are good enough to keep me found and not lost.
This past weekend I got to play around with the landownership maps in Earthmate and compare it to my buddy's ONX app. The Earthmate showed all the state BLM and FS lands as well as private just fine, only thing I could see lacking with the Earthmate app was private landowner names. Earthmate does have some names listed but not as many as the ONX app. The ONX app also showed a couple of Wyoming WMA's that the Earthmate didn't. All in all for the public land hunter I see no reason to have both the Earthmate paid hunting addition as well as the ONX app. Considering the Earthmate is $30 a year for all 50 states I kind of think that ONX is a ripoff at $100 a year unless one hunts way more private land then I.

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
I would be nervous about running my battery down on my InReach. I use Gaia on OnX previously downloaded maps on my iPhone in airplane mode. I have a new in box Garmin MT600 that is just collecting dust because this has worked so well for me.

muddydogs

WKR
How long do you guys need the InReach battery to last? Heck I'm getting 5 days out of a charge with the InReach bluetoothed to my phone the whole time, half the time the InReach is searching for the connection because I moved to far away from it in the evenings.
If your using your phone as a GPS you don't even need the InReach on until you want to send a message as the phone's GPS will do all the GPS stuff including tracking on its own.

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
I know...its just a phobia I have since I'm frequently alone in the backcountry and view it as my lifeline should something go terribly wrong.

This past weekend I got to play around with the landownership maps in Earthmate and compare it to my buddy's ONX app. The Earthmate showed all the state BLM and FS lands as well as private just fine, only thing I could see lacking with the Earthmate app was private landowner names. private land then I.

Did Earthmade distinguish between BLM and FS like different colors? I am curious if for wilderness land it is easy to verify it from say NF.

muddydogs

WKR
Did Earthmade distinguish between BLM and FS like different colors? I am curious if for wilderness land it is easy to verify it from say NF.
State is blue
BLM is Orange
FS is green
For wilderness boundary marking it looks like they use a dark green line.

Thanks perfect. Think I am going to pick up a new Explorer. I downloaded the app last night. I have last years SE. Only thing I didn't understand yet was if you get the $40 hunt maps can you just see them on your phone only or the Explorer too?

muddydogs

WKR
Thanks perfect. Think I am going to pick up a new Explorer. I downloaded the app last night. I have last years SE. Only thing I didn't understand yet was if you get the $40 hunt maps can you just see them on your phone only or the Explorer too?

Well I don't know, I run the SE so I only see the boundary's on my phone. Let me check one of my work explorers and see if I can figure it out.

If you currently have an SE I would wait until next year for the explorer, I don't have any inside info but I'm thinking that Garmin could do some upgrades before then?

muddydogs

WKR
Well it appears that one can download hunt boundarys and public lands to the explorer. Below is a cut paste from the Add More Maps tab on the web site under the Hunting Maps Tab.
inReach Map Selection
Travelling outside the range of your pre-installed inReach maps? Want to try some alternative maps? Use the Sync tab above to apply changes to your inReach.
= These maps are pre-installed and cannot be changed. = Sync is off. These maps will not be on your inReach. = Sync is on. These maps will be on your inReach.

TOPOGRAPHIC MAPSHUNTING MAPSAbout Map Types

EARTHMATE HUNTNO SUBSCRIPTION
All Earthmate Outdoor features plus hunting data. Starting at $39.95 USD/Year Details
Add Earthmate Hunt
Available for U.S. states only.

Utah

Game Management Units (44 MB)

Public Land Survey System (10 MB)

Public Lands (151 MB)

I went ahead an ordered an Explorer from S&S. I thought about waiting 1 year to see if they add anything to it. Seems like the used market is strong for these so probably won't lose much if I decide to upgrade in a year or so.

Thanks for all the info.

BigSky

WKR
All in all for the public land hunter I see no reason to have both the Earthmate paid hunting addition as well as the ONX app. Considering the Earthmate is $30 a year for all 50 states I kind of think that ONX is a ripoff at $100 a year unless one hunts way more private land then I.
That's kind of harsh don't you think? Everybody appreciates alternative options such as you have provided; but, accusing a legitimate, well thought-of company of ripping people off is kind of out of line. They don't hide anything. They tell you what they are selling, They sell exactly what they say they are selling. They tell us all the price right up front, no surprises. People/entities selling the same or similar products at different prices does not automatically equate to a "rip off". Be well.

Well I agree after downloading the Inreach app that the Onx maps are a little over priced. I do have their Wyoming chip and have purchased the app plan as well which I never really cared for. Anyway since the questions were on the Inreach I will stick to the topic. With the purchase of the Explorer you get the US topo maps on the Explorer and your phone for no added charge. So you can have working topo maps on your phone for no additional charge. I also was able to save google earth type imagery on my phone again for free. I verified this worked last night in airplane mode. If you want their hunt maps it will cost you $40 a year for all 50 states and this should work on your Explorer and phone you just need to sync the devices to your account using a PC. These hunt maps appear to be the same as their standard maps but also provide unit boundries, public land identification (although I could see NF marked on my original maps), and private land owner names.

OP
S

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
So I went out in the wilderness for the last 8 days and here's what I planned on doing and what actually happened.

Plan:
GPSMAP 64st for general navigation when in truck & on atv
iphone w/ earthmate app & hunt maps for while out in the field if needed
inreach as backup

What really happened is that I played around with the earthmate app and hunt maps and the detail and clarity blows away the 64st. I ended up using my phone the whole time it was that much better. Yes onx is a little better about showing private land than the garmin hunt maps but the only time I really need to worry about that is when I'm hunting predators and most private land owners are happy to let me trespass when doing that anyways. It is so much easier to use earthmate than the handheld gps that it sat in the truck off the whole time and is now up for sale. The only benefit I see to the GPSMAP unit is that it has replaceable batteries and push buttons. On the battery issue, my hunts are usually extended weekends and sometimes a week-long trip which in that case the iphone & inreach will last more than long enough. On the touchscreen issue, Nevada is so damn dry that I'm more likely to get eaten by a shark than a touchscreen that wont work due to being wet.

Anyone wanna buy a used Garmin GPS? :D

InPursuit

FNG
I'll be in the Jarbidge next week and I know there is no cell signal. Can I use my OnX Hunt App with the area Pre loaded on my phone as GPS. Pardon my ignorance but will iPhone track my location on the app without a cell signal?

Last edited:

PMcGee

WKR
Does anyone know if you can use the map chips in the Garmin inreach explorer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can not. But the Inreach maps look pretty good to me. You even get imagery along with topo on the phone app. Plus no extra charge. A guy that doesn't have a chip already its a good deal. You can also buy extra maps for the Inreach that Garmin call hunter maps. Its basically a few extra layers 1 of which is a hybrid (both top and imagery).

PMcGee

WKR
You can not. But the Inreach maps look pretty good to me. You even get imagery along with topo on the phone app. Plus no extra charge. A guy that doesn't have a chip already its a good deal. You can also buy extra maps for the Inreach that Garmin call hunter maps. Its basically a few extra layers 1 of which is a hybrid (both top and imagery).

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro