Which Garmin Unit most similar to Onx Hunt MAps

Roksliders,

I am in a real bind here. My Onx Hunt Maps App for the iPhone has started crashing and I leave for a once in a lifetime Bull Elk Archery hunt this Saturday. I was growing really accustom to that app and felt that after using it a few months, felt confident it would work. Well, its does not whenever I am out of cell phone range after that "upgraded" the app just a few days ago. Now I am left high and dry.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the other navigation products out there? I have looked at the Garmin but the one I used back in my Search and Rescue days is pretty old. I only use it as a backup to find my way back in case the other devices failed.

My biggest problem with older units is while it is great to have Topographic maps, I still need to be able to find dirt roads and trails to get to the hunting area. Some of my drives off road are 2-3 hours long and I need to be able to keep track of where I am and where I am going.

Any help would be appreciated. I need to get everything tomorrow prior to leaving and any direction from anyone having used both systems would be GREATLY appreciated.

wapitibob

WKR
Just about any Garmin and an sd card will work, and it's in your hands so nobody else will screw it up. You might look at Gia gps, it's a phone app.

Brendan

WKR
Gaia GPS for your phone. Just make sure to download all Topo and Satellite maps you need for your area before you leave cell service, and bring a battery pack like a Dark Energy if you're using it a lot. I like the topo and satellite views much better than what I get on my Garmin Montana. Garmin does win in terms of durability, waterproof-ness, and If I'm just staring at a screen following a bearing through timber in the dark, again I like the Garmin.

If I had to pick one though, Gaia.

AdamW

WKR
You might give OnX a call and let them know what is going on too. Mine updated from one day of hiking to the next and I just happened to check it early in the morning before we headed out. I don't like pushed updates.

OP
NevadaZielmeister
You might give OnX a call and let them know what is going on too. Mine updated from one day of hiking to the next and I just happened to check it early in the morning before we headed out. I don't like pushed updates.

I did and they advised it is a known issue they are working on. But they took good care of me and sent me a chip to the nearest Post Office to my hunt area for free, which is pretty cool. Meanwhile, I ended getting the Garmin Rina 755t. I would have purchased the Montana 680t but man, is that Montana ugly. The good news is that it was on sale at Cabelas and I was able to use it with my outdoor charging system, so hopefully things are normal.

Thank you for the help guys.