Trail Cameras Getting Munched

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
So... Two of my trail cameras got munched by bears and elk this Summer pretty soon after I put them out. I put one out on June 8th and it was destroyed by the 24th. Anyone have experience with this?

They didn't last long and it was a pretty huge let down to hike back in 6 miles and find destroyed cameras.

Is there a way to keep the critters from messing with them?

Are some cameras louder than others?

I have mine in metal cases and in some spots the Elk LOVE to lick, rub, scrape, and otherwise mess with them. If they weren't in the cases I am sure I would have lost 2-3 by now.

I am not sure why the mess with them but I can tell you that they only do it within the first day of me setting them or swapping out cards. So I am thinking it has something to do with my scent, maybe some residual salt from handling things.

If you aren't all ready make sure to only handle it wearing nitrile gloves, this includes the card, batteries, cables, and straps. Once put up I give it all a good spray down with some no sent spray.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep I Had a bear try to take mine from a tree. Got a good picture of his snout. He lost interest though. I could tell he was tugging on it as the strap was all bunched up

jlviT5q.jpg

Ya I've lost a few cameras to bears. Now all of mine are in a metal bear box with a padlock and a Python cable lock going through the box and around the tree. In 1 area the bears were still biting from the corners and still getting their teeth into it, wound up adding 1 1/2 screws all over the face from the inside. For safety of transport I cover all the screws with rubber vacuum line so if I fell on it I would't look like i wrestled a porcupine. I have found a few screws covered in blood but never lost another camera to that area

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep does happen unfortunately lost one more to a bear last year. Rumor is use gloves on camera to keep your scent to help prevent curiosity

svivian

WKR
I always have elk and bears messing with my cameras. I have thousands of pictures of my camera being bounced around if I don't check them regularly. Which is also why I buy the cheaper cameras even if they aren't infared because I know they will see it either way and they are curious and like to check them out.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
camlockbox trail cam security boxes are the best that I have found; not thin cheap sheet metal but heavy thick stuff.

snakelk

WKR
Ya I've lost a few cameras to bears. Now all of mine are in a metal bear box with a padlock and a Python cable lock going through the box and around the tree. In 1 area the bears were still biting from the corners and still getting their teeth into it, wound up adding 1 1/2 screws all over the face from the inside. For safety of transport I cover all the screws with rubber vacuum line so if I fell on it I would't look like i wrestled a porcupine. I have found a few screws covered in blood but never lost another camera to that area

Thanks for the tip! I've been having all kinds of trouble with bears screwing with my cams (no security boxes), and I've finally decided to cave and make the investment. I might have to try the screw idea if the plain boxes don't do the trick.

I have mine in metal cases and in some spots the Elk LOVE to lick, rub, scrape, and otherwise mess with them. If they weren't in the cases I am sure I would have lost 2-3 by now.

I am not sure why the mess with them but I can tell you that they only do it within the first day of me setting them or swapping out cards. So I am thinking it has something to do with my scent, maybe some residual salt from handling things.

If you aren't all ready make sure to only handle it wearing nitrile gloves, this includes the card, batteries, cables, and straps. Once put up I give it all a good spray down with some no sent spray.

I have the same issue. I do the gloves with everything, keep it all stored separately and wipe it all down with no spray. Yet there is always some knot head who wants to rub and lick on it. It is always a young male elk on mine which is kind of funny except that they can really turn em all around. I recommend the metal cases, always!

lang

Lil-Rokslider
A difference maker for us was putting them higher in the tree and angle them down as high as you can reach (7-8 feet). We have had a couple swatted a little, but nothing like when you put them at nose level for a bear. Even though they can stand on their hind legs I think they are pretty lazy. We bait a lot and haven't had one damaged since moving them up. I found one this week on a salt lick that was flipped facing the tree and covered with slobber and mud. I moved it up and flipped it back over for him. Sure he'll be a little confused at first when he sees it.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
got a cam turned sideways by a bear, she brought her cubs in and could hear the camera, she didnt like it.

Attachments

• bear.jpg
    bear.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 28