Inreach/Earthmate

Received an Inreach Explorer for a birthday gift. I had a few questions I was hoping to get some help with mostly pertaining to pairing the device with Earthmate. From what I have seen so far the Earthmate app is free to download, and if I choose to buy the hunt maps I can do so for an annual fee. I assume by just downloading the app I can access my contact list to make sending text messages easier. I like the idea of having the hunt maps and for those of you that have used these how do they compare to the On X maps? I have read that they are pretty good but not quite as detailed as the On X. I will only be hunting public land so, I am not really concerned with listing name ownership on private. Looking forward to using this, any thoughts or tips on using both would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Zach

muddydogs

WKR
The InReach unit needs plugged into your computer to sync some things like your contact list or firmware updates every once in a while.
The Earthmate app on your phone has a sync button in the menu tab to sync the phone app with the computer web site.
To pair the phone with the InReach app you will need to access your phones Bluetooth menu and have it search for the InReach then access the InReach units Bluetooth menu and tell it to pair with the phone. Once paired the first time the phone and InReach will find each other when both have Bluetooth turned on.
Yes the basic Earthmate app is free to download, if you want the hunt maps the initial year costs something like $40 then $30 a year thereafter.
Once you have installed the app on the phone and have Bluetooth paired the InReach and phone you can use your phones contact list to send text's and emails.
From what I can see the Earthmate private land maps are just as detailed as the ONX maps as far as boundry lines go. The Earthmate just dosn't have the amount of actual landowner info that the ONX does. I also noticed that Earthmate doesn't have all the state walk in access units that show up on ONX.

Yes you can access your contacts with the free download.

I think the maps are fine plus you have imagery so for me that is all I need. Haven't used it enough to verify certain trails aren't visible compared to onX.

I just opened my account for my Inreach SE and sync'd to my phone. I was wondering if I need cell service to utilize it for contacts as well as texting? I have no service where I hunt so I would de-sync her if this is the case.

muddydogs

WKR
You do not need cell service as long as your address book is on your phone and your not using something that requires cell service. The whole point of the InReach is being able to text others when you don't have cell service.

Bluetooth connection is between your phone and InReach and has nothing to do with cell service as well.

In case you don't know your phones location or GPS works like any other GPS and doesn't need cell service to communicate your location hence using the Earthmate maps on your phone.

TJ

WKR
Can you choose which contacts you import? I don't hundreds of #'s on my inreach.

Yes, you can enter your contacts on your in-reach page, quick messages and other messages you think you may use frequently.

Or, if your blue toothed to your phone you can use the contacts in your phone. Really simple to use.

Just don't forget to sinc your phone to your in--reach.

How about charging it in the field? Will a solar charger work?
I have a garmin alpha and my solar charger want charge it. I see that a full charge will last 30 days on safe mode i think, but was just curious if i had to charge in the field if a solar charger could be used. Thanks

muddydogs

WKR
How about charging it in the field? Will a solar charger work?
I have a garmin alpha and my solar charger want charge it. I see that a full charge will last 30 days on safe mode i think, but was just curious if i had to charge in the field if a solar charger could be used. Thanks

Well I would think you would want to try your solar charger at home before you go. I would say your solar charger will charge the InReach as mine does but you never know until you try. Your charger might be putting out to much or to little and the InReach might not like it.
I get 3 to 5 days out of my InReach with light texting, some tracking and most of the time its setting idle on my pack hooked up to my phone via Bluetooth. I'm finding more and more that I like to track using my phones GPS as it give me a more detailed track then the InReach with its 10 minute interval.

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Clarification needed here. I am trying to find a way to get Private Property boundaries to show on my InReach Explorer+ and can not find that way. If I get the Earthmate app on my phone and then pair it with my InReach then I will be able to access a private property boundary layer???? on both phone and InReach???