InReach/text questions

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I drew a 16B Gila NM archery tag. I know there is no service down there. I need to be able to get a little information here and there. That left me with either a sat phone or an InReach as options. I decided to go with the InReach.

I haven't set it up yet, I will tonight. I know I'll be able to send and receive texts. Does anyone know if I would be able to set something up so those texts can go to Tapatalk, or Facebook, IG, etc? I'd like to be able to update everyone here on the forums of how the hunt is going.

I know I could find someone to post the daily updates if I can't route the texts through somehow, but it would be nice to have that option. I plan to get the unlimited option so I could do semi-live updates multiple times a day if I can figure it out.

I won't use it for the GPS function so I'll have it on only when I want to send/receive.

Any other tips you current users recommend?

Thanks,

Les

Is it the explorer+?

I have been looking at getting one for this year and I believe you can sync it with your cell phone via blue tooth for easier typing. I was under the impression you can only have a certain length message. I might be wrong about that.

Is the GPS function really that bad or is it just not very user friendly? I'll probably end up using my Iphone and GAIA maps.

KHNC

WKR
Since im jealous of your draw, i wont be able to help you. :)

Trial153

WKR
yes to can link the inreach to your Facebook account without any issues. you will be able to post update however any communications to you will be via text

Trial153

WKR
speaking to the GPS functionality. on the unit itself it isn't the best no. however when it's paired with your smart phone the earth mate app is very usable . my inreach stays in a small side pouch of my pack with the antenna out and otherwise I don't look at it. I do everything right from my phone

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it the explorer+?

I have been looking at getting one for this year and I believe you can sync it with your cell phone via blue tooth for easier typing. I was under the impression you can only have a certain length message. I might be wrong about that.

Is the GPS function really that bad or is it just not very user friendly? I'll probably end up using my Iphone and GAIA maps.

Yes. Explorer +. It will sync to phone via BT. 160 character max texts.

efnm

WKR
I didn't use the android app because it has a LOT of bad reviews about battery drain. It made texting a pain because it is hard to enter so many characters with the unit itself. Hopefully the app is better now or you use an iphone.

And yes you can connect with facebook.

Brendan

WKR
Have used the Inreach SE for 3 years in a row - need to re-activate mine this week for my upcoming trip. I've never explored posting to FB or a forum.

Going by memory - there's an option to include or exclude your exact GPS location with every message you send. I include it as I'm only sending messages to my family and close friends, but you want to make sure you test it out if you're thinking of posting to a public forum / page.

You can also share a password protected link to a map that shows your location. One of the other helpful items was the weather updates....

Trial153

WKR
I am running the Android app on a S8 active...battery is fine. I have it set to only run when the app is open. works excellent

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at the Explorer as well. My next hunt is way outside of cell service, and my family doesn't do well when comms are down. It looks like with a few rentals of a Sat phone, the same money would buy the Inreach.

muddydogs

WKR
Boy a lot of mis information above about GPS and battery drain. As a guy that uses an InReach in the back country and also runs 80 InReach units at work that bluetooth to both Android and IPhones I can tell you that the GPS functionality of the InReach works great and there is no big mysterious battery drain. 90% of the people that complain about battery drain just don't know how to shut the stuff down on there phone that eats battery life especially when there is no cell service so the phone is in constant search mode. I can get 3 to 4 days out of my Android phone bluetoothed to my InReach and the InReach will last 5 days.
One thing to be aware of with the inreach is the only way for someone to send you a message is through your main web account, the Map Share page or reply to a text. When you send someone a text the message gets assigned a phone number which can be used to reply back to the InReach but be aware that this isn't a permanent number and may only be good for a few days. When I talked with the Garmin guys they couldn't give me a definite time frame for the number but said its usually good for 2 to 3 days. So its best to set up your Map Share page and send the link to the important people so they have a way to message you, I also send out a group InReach message when I get to camp to my important people so they have a current text from me to reply to and every 3 or so days send an updated group message just to refresh the reply text number.

If you feel the need to share with the world what you are doing while hunting well once you get into the online account you will notice a Social tab where you can set up the Map Share, Facebook and Twitter accounts. I use the map share so my wife can log into the site and see where I'm at when I'm tracking and send me a text message if I haven't sent her one yet but I have no idea how the Facebook or Twitter works as I'm not interested in sharing my hunt with the world and I'm sure the world doesn't care.

muddydogs

WKR
Response to an Inreach email works too.

Yes it does, guess I don't even think about the email as I never send anything to anyone's email.

Also something that isn't talked about much is the InReach to InReach communication. When you sign up and activate your InReach you are given an email address that's usually the email you used to sign up with @inreach.garmin.com attached. This is only used for InReach to InReach texting and works well. My field crews use it and my hunting buddies and I use it while in the woods.

I've personally sent probably over 500 texts without an issue and used both the InReach tracking in the Earthmate app as well as the phone GPS to track and have always had a good track line.

aklogan

FNG
When you send someone a text the message gets assigned a phone number which can be used to reply back to the InReach but be aware that this isn't a permanent number and may only be good for a few days. When I talked with the Garmin guys they couldn't give me a definite time frame for the number but said its usually good for 2 to 3 days. So its best to set up your Map Share page and send the link to the important people so they have a way to message you, I also send out a group InReach message when I get to camp to my important people so they have a current text from me to reply to and every 3 or so days send an updated group message just to refresh the reply text number.

I agree with everything you wrote except for this part. Unless something changed with the new garmin inreach. I have had the same exact number for going on two years. I really only use it to message in august and September but my wife can send a text to me even after months of no messages.

muddydogs

WKR
I agree with everything you wrote except for this part. Unless something changed with the new garmin inreach. I have had the same exact number for going on two years. I really only use it to message in august and September but my wife can send a text to me even after months of no messages.

That may be, maybe they changed something since I called them. Come to think about it they were probably still Delorme when I called. I noticed the numbers changing for the work units as I was saving them under my contact list to be able to get a hold of the crew and after a while the numbers didn't work. Tested out my unit and found the same thing so I called the company and was told what I wrote above. Tell ya what, I'll email my Garmin contact this morning and see if the number assign deal has changed.

aklogan

FNG
That may be, maybe they changed something since I called them. Come to think about it they were probably still Delorme when I called. I noticed the numbers changing for the work units as I was saving them under my contact list to be able to get a hold of the crew and after a while the numbers didn't work. Tested out my unit and found the same thing so I called the company and was told what I wrote above. Tell ya what, I'll email my Garmin contact this morning and see if the number assign deal has changed.

Gotcha. I've had mine for 3 years in march and the wife has used the same number the whole time. Maybe it has to do with being on a recreation/freedom plan compared to the enterprise/data plans. Would be curious to see what is the cause of the changing numbers.

FlyGuy

WKR
Yeah, curious to see how this comes out. I have a buddy with two phones (work and personal) that I recently sent inreach texts to (I have a pre-garmin unit btw) so that he could save them in his phone for an upcoming hunt. He messaged back to me that each phone had received the message from two completely different numbers? Messages were sent a few days apart, btw. Thought it was strange but your explanation above might explain it.

muddydogs

WKR
I found the problem on both plans as I have a recreation plan and the work ones are under the enterprise but this was a couple years ago now that I think about it.

Anyway I heard back from the big dog at Garmin and he said that we should be able to reply to a message for up to 6 months but its best to clear out old text messages and resend a new inreach message about every month just to maintain the best connection. From his message it sounds like the 6 month number is on the safe side and its most likely longer but then again Garmin isn't giving a hard fast number of days so I'm not sure they really know.
Now this seems like it just applies to sending a cell phone text reply to an inreach message and nothing was said about saving the inreach number in a cell phone contact list and using the number to start a text message to an inreach, I'm not sure if it matter if the cell phone is sending a reply message or starting the message.
I guess its best to keep an up to date message sent to the important people either way to be on the safe side. When you get right down to it the people that matter have my wife's number and I'm texting her at least once a day so if I'm really needed there is a way to get a hold of me.

muddydogs

WKR
Yeah, curious to see how this comes out. I have a buddy with two phones (work and personal) that I recently sent inreach texts to (I have a pre-garmin unit btw) so that he could save them in his phone for an upcoming hunt. He messaged back to me that each phone had received the message from two completely different numbers? Messages were sent a few days apart, btw. Thought it was strange but your explanation above might explain it.

I have noticed the different numbers to each recipient of a group text, I think that each message to each person gets assigned a number.

Set up your map share page and send your buddy the access link then he will always be able to access the page and send you a message plus if you allow him to on your page he can follow your track when you are tracking.