Gaia Trouble??

FlyGuy

WKR
Why do my maps look like this in Gaia??

I Started using Gaia last season and was very impressed with it. My iPhone died in the off-season and company forced a change to Samsung. I started having trouble right away on training runs but Thought the problem at 1st was due to company security settings. I bought a personal phone (also a samsung) but the problem is almost as bad.

Appears to really have trouble when cell signal is poor to none - which encompasses 99% of my hunting and fishing areas! It seems to Track normally while the screen is active, but seems to have fits when asleep. When I wake up the screen to check my location it ping-prongs a track back and forth. So frustrating!!!

I have it set to "keep screen on".

I also have had lots of trouble loading saved maps while offline. This just makes the app hang up and crash.
10292ac5b9504712371db4dc763588f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
I've noticed mine will do this if GPS doesn't have a lock on the signal yet. This happens when I turn my phone on in the morning at the trailhead and just hit track and start walking. Once it finds my location when I'm down trail it just sends a straight line. So now I do it at camp or if I forget when I get to the trail l, ill move the map a bit and hit the location button. Once that blue arrow shows up in the correct location, I hit track and its all good. It can take 30mins to find location sometimes if your deep in there. My guess yours has to deal with a GPS signal interruption problem. Make sure GPS is turned on in the phone setting and try moving the map around a few times and hit the location button to make sure it moves the map back to your actual location before hitting record.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
That may be part of it, but you can kind of see that in the picture that it started out working fine. Probably b/c ideas close the the road and had a little bit of a cell signal. But as I went further in it started acting up. Signal was low/gone, and I had just "woken up" my phone...

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
Cell signal shouldn't have anything to do with GPS signal. The GPS will use Wi-Fi to help detect location but I don't think the regular cell signal works the same way. Do u happen to have a thick phone cover like an outterbox? Maybe that's messing up signal. There might be a GPS fix for your phone. Google Samsung and model phone you have with GPS fix and see what comes up. My old Samsung note 3 I had to download a GPS fix to solve my GPS problem which is similar to your problem. Which Samsung phone are you using? Go to setting and about phone and hit update to see if there is any updates for your phone that come through.

Last edited: