Garmin Fenix - Post your tips and tricks

colonel00

WKR
I just recently got a Fenix 5x and love it so far. I know there are tons of sites and videos out there about the Fenix watches. I was just curious to hear how folks are using them with more of a hunting and/or backpacking focus.

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
Bump. I'm trying to decide on a new watch from either Garmin or Suunto. Wonder how battery life is for the backcountry for the Garmin?

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
I love it so far. Haven't used it a ton for backcountry though. The battery will drain while you have the GPS running for an activity. Obviously, battery life will then depend on how long you have the GPS running. There is also UltraTrac which is a mode that reduces battery usage by only pinging the GPS at longer intervals. I haven't messed with that yet.

Overall, I'm super happy with the watch so far even with limited usage.

I am looking at the Fenix 3
These displays seem to be better than the Suunto

I was going to get the Fenix 5, just cant see what the 3 doesn't have that I have to have

aron

WKR
I am looking at the Fenix 3
These displays seem to be better than the Suunto

I was going to get the Fenix 5, just cant see what the 3 doesn't have that I have to have
Been looking at these watches as well. Biggest thing I've seen is the 5 has much better battery life.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
If you are going to use it in the outdoors, I'd suggest saving/waiting until you could pony up for the 5x. Yeah, it's pricey but it's awesome and comes with maps. The 5x also has the sapphire crystal standard which means it pretty much won't scratch. I think the regular 5 with sapphire crystal is pretty much the same price as the 5x.

I have the 3 but sell numerous 5’s at my store. I use the GPS on hike for day hunts as it’s creates a route and will put it in ultra trac mode for over nighters as it extendeds the battery life to 50’ish hours.

I ended up getting the 5x used on here and the 3hr new from somewhere..
The wife now gets one too so we will be tracking our walks, calories, hr and such together.
I really like the maps on the 5, and got a great deal on here and couldn't pass it up.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Nice. Hopefully you and others find some cool ways to use them in the outdoors and can share how you use them. There's tons of info out there on using them for fitness type activities but not so much for actual hunting situations.

Also, if you want some extra bands, I've been using a few different colors of these without issue.

Amazon.com : Coohole New Replacement Silicagel Quick Install Band Strap For Garmin Fenix 5X GPS Watch (Dark Blue) : Sports & Outdoors
Cool thx....
I was looking for a band for her 3hr that had the same design set up. Stock one is black like mine but I want her to have a teal one.
Problem is the 3hr is under the tree wrapped up, and she thinks it is mine
:)

I am pretty sure the 3hr and the 5x are the same dia and use the same bands?
Id like to get her a fresh color.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
That sounds right but I can't say for sure. Just do some quick searching or check the Garmin forums and I'm sure you'll find the correct size. Oh, I do think that you might have to get pins for the 3HR as I don't think they had the quick disconnect bands for that watch. Could very well be wrong. I'll see what I can find if I have a chance.

looking on Amazon you are correct on the pins. They say the 3hr bands work on the 5x but I cant find the 5x working on the 3hr.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
If they are the same size (width) then the 5x bands will work as long as you get the pins for the quick connect bands to snap to.

Brendan

WKR
I have the 5X. Use it extensively for training, logging workouts. And it's my watch / daily alarm for all my hunts. I don't use the GPS extensively in the field though, even though I have used it to track a path out to the truck when I'm not thinking about conserving battery. I still personally rely on my phone (Gaia) as my primary and the Fenix as my backup. Once you've gotten used to the bigger screen of the phone - just no comparison.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
It would be really nice if Onyx or Gaia or whatever wrote an app for the watch.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Yea how cool would it be to have the watch, gps, phone all synced
Well - I do all my scouting and waypoint prep in Google Earth and then load the same waypoints out to both Gaia and my Fenix. Anything created in the field needs to be created in both places though...

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I've enjoyed me 3 for training. Nice to have map data with elevation and what not. Just be careful on if you sync to map my run or strava or you may be inadvertently posting hunting spots.