Inreach Explorer+

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a gpsmap 64st and thinking of replacing it with the explorer+ model. Can anyone tell me how they compare? Specifically the explorer+ model.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really wanting to know about the maps. I can't find much on the DeLorme topo maps. Do they look like the standard forestry service maps & Garmin maps? Show trail heads and pack trails?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Cory Will take some photos for you and post them up so you can see. I can't compare to 64st The Delorne Maps are 100k Topo.

colonel00

WKR
I haven't looked at them since the first Explorers came out but if it is still the same, the maps are very basic. You are better off using the inReach with your phone and the app but even then, it's still not what I would consider a replacement for a standalone GPS. However, using the inReach with your phone and another GPS app on your phone, I think you'd be fine. Really depends on what you want/need out of the GPS though in the long run.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
5hua40z.jpg

kSdyFLp.jpg

YFxhtqN.jpg

Wk4nqUw.jpg

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
id use these all day for a stand alone GPS. Im no GPS Expert but I am very happy with the map quality this displays. Once you sync your phone and Garmin together you can load additional maps and sync them with the device. Which is very nice. I have no knowledge of what the maps on the regular in reach had but Id say this is very usable and easy to see.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I put it over some mountains and and took a better photo so you can get an idea.

ZqKjYoA.jpg

muddydogs

WKR
The explorer has ok maps but were the InReach platform really shines is the Earthmate phone app with aerial photo's, ownership, hunting units, topo's and the hybrid map which overlays topo and roads on the photo's. It will take a few years for people to figure it out but I think that the stand alone GPS unit will soon fall to the way side like 8 tracks and cassette tapes once people figure out that there phone can do anything a GPS can do.

I currently just have the InReach SE for personal use but after playing with the Explore at work when its time for a new unit I will be getting the Explorer. The phone app will be my main GPS but the explorer will be a great backup in case the phone takes a dump or I end up in an area where I didn't download the right maps to my phone.

Its funny that I looked at the Explorer map pic above and thought well that sucks then I remembered that I'm used to looking at the aerial photo with hybrid map overlay on my phone. Guess regular topo maps just don't do it for me anymore and I want to see pics of the area.

• Banned
OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks SHTF. That helps me out a lot.

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
@shtf I'm going at ask a very generic question. Without the active subscription for sos/texting, can this GPS still do everything else a 'standard' gps can do? Or are there 'basics' that cant be done without the subscription?

Sorry for not knowing what i don't know

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
@shtf I'm going at ask a very generic question. Without the active subscription for sos/texting, can this GPS still do everything else a 'standard' gps can do? Or are there 'basics' that cant be done without the subscription?

Sorry for not knowing what i don't know

No reason to be sorry. Yes that was important for me also you don't need subscription and gps still works fine.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No reason to be sorry. Yes that was important for me also you don't need subscription and gps still works fine.

Really? I thought I read it didn't work w/o an active subscription? Reason I ask is I am borrowing one and when it first booted up it had to activate itself. I think the device looks nice but I wondered about that question and folks on other forums (year old info) were saying it didn't work w/o an active subscription, I presumed you were stuck at that same boot up screen that I saw when I got this. My old unit hasn't died yet but this looks nice but I was concerned about not being able to use it standalone.

OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone is confusing the explorer and explorer +. It’s hard to get accurate information. Thanks again SHTF

OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks pods8.

I’ve been having a hard time telling which one guys are talking about. My understanding is that you only need a subscription for the texting/SOS and to download or add more maps.

muddydogs

WKR
Everyone is confusing the explorer and explorer +. It’s hard to get accurate information. Thanks again SHTF

So whats the difference between the explorer and explorer+? Not much besides the look of the unit. Are you sure you are not confusing the SE and explorer models?

The Delorme models are called the SE and Explorer, once Garmin purchased the deal they named the units the SE+ and Explorer+. The SE+ model does have a track line on the screen but it does the basically the same functions as the SE. The two explorers do basically the same functions as well.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
So the new Garmin version is the Inreach SE+ and Garmin Inreach Explorer + There is no Garmin Explorer.

The difference is the SE doesnt come with Maps or a built in electronic compass. Where the Explorer + gets everything including the maps and compass.

Access Denied

Hope that straightens things out for you guys. Easy to get confused because Garmin just built off what the names where when they where owned by the other company. =-)

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Really? I thought I read it didn't work w/o an active subscription? Reason I ask is I am borrowing one and when it first booted up it had to activate itself. I think the device looks nice but I wondered about that question and folks on other forums (year old info) were saying it didn't work w/o an active subscription, I presumed you were stuck at that same boot up screen that I saw when I got this. My old unit hasn't died yet but this looks nice but I was concerned about not being able to use it standalone.

maybe so on the old model. But I tested it on mine after I got. Didnt activate yet and was able to get to maps and compass worked great. No need to activate to get the maps to work.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same experience SHTF, didn't need to activate my subscription to get maps and such.