Gaia GPS for Hunters

Thanks for mentioning Gaia, I need to check it out. I prefer using my iPhone over a regular GPS on day hunts, but I don’t download the maps and the battery doesn’t hold up.

If you download the maps and leave it on airplane mode, do you find the battery will last at least a few days if you are checking the GPS once or twice an hour?

I’m not big on electronics so I don’t want to carry a solar panel or huge power pack, I don’t mind carrying one of those little ones the size of a marker to get 1-2 recharges though.

dotman

WKR
Thanks for mentioning Gaia, I need to check it out. I prefer using my iPhone over a regular GPS on day hunts, but I don’t download the maps and the battery doesn’t hold up.

If you download the maps and leave it on airplane mode, do you find the battery will last at least a few days if you are checking the GPS once or twice an hour?

I’m not big on electronics so I don’t want to carry a solar panel or huge power pack, I don’t mind carrying one of those little ones the size of a marker to get 1-2 recharges though.

On airplane my IPhone will go three days easy and I check my maps all the time and it is also connected to my inreach. I usually will charge both my iPhone and inreach every other day.

I have an Anker 20,000mah battery pack that I can recharge my phone, inreach, cameras and watch but I rarely take it while hunting, but it isn’t bulky or heavy, not much larger then my phone.

Newer version of the battery pack I have Anker | PowerCore II 20000

Something else to consider Anker | Battery Case 2850mAh

Last edited:

Hall256

WKR

I carry along the Dark Energy Poseidon...it is not that much bigger than my phone, I can get multiple charges out of it, its well worth bringing along.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I used to have the Trimble premium ( before they folded) and really liked it. It was simple in the fact you could just purchase your hunt zone, download it once, and you had the off line map with all the different views. You could also switch back and forth from Topo to Sat etc while off line from just the one map download. Does the new Gaia have this feature, or do you have to download multiple map tiles like OnX ? I’m not being lazy, I’m deployed right now so I don’t want to download it until I’m back in time for archery season. Thanks.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I used to have the Trimble premium ( before they folded) and really liked it. It was simple in the fact you could just purchase your hunt zone, download it once, and you had the off line map with all the different views. You could also switch back and forth from Topo to Sat etc while off line from just the one map download. Does the new Gaia have this feature, or do you have to download multiple map tiles like OnX ? I’m not being lazy, I’m deployed right now so I don’t want to download it until I’m back in time for archery season. Thanks.

Being able to save by Hunt Zone is something that we are working on as we speak so be on the lookout for that in the near future. With onX, you can switch between topo, satellite, and hybrid while offline and you do not need to save multiple maps of an area to do this. If you want to cover a larger area, that is where needing to save multiple tiles comes in at this time but again, saving by hunt zone is coming!