Gaia GPS for Hunters

Brendan

WKR
Gaia has been making a concerted effort to target the hunting community this year with some of their Premium features. Just got an email from them - "Gaia GPS For Hunters". They're even giving away 3 month trials of Premium by the look of it.

From the email I received: Gaia GPS for Hunters- New Maps, Expert Tips

They have a public / private overlay, a private parcel overlay, wildfire overlay, along with a bunch of the standard Satellite, Aerial, Topo, shading & transparency.

I actually corresponded with someone at Gaia this summer / fall - and they were actively seeking feedback to help develop and improve the product for the hunting community. I was a premium member already, so wasn't getting anything out of it, except that I've loved seeing the platform get better.

Felix40

WKR
They need to put some effort into getting the word out. Its a much better app than onx in my opinion but less well known

DWinVA

WKR
I’ve used it a couple years on my IPhone and really like it.

God Bless.

Last edited:
They need to put some effort into getting the word out. Its a much better app than onx in my opinion but less well known

I'm gonna give it a shot, but from what I've seen their imagery overlays leave something to be desired.

Edit: Looks like premium has some far better image layers. The public land boundaries layer however is suspect. It appears to be slightly off of the private land boundaries overlay which appears to be slightly better aligned.

Last edited:
Here is an example of the public land boundaries being off, but the private land boundaries appear to be consistent with OnX.

tUY1eDgcIzFgpHp6bhR9YfN_gL-2259Ad_-HNACnJBiPueeHejDEz51FqL0T2DbAS-5s0oMKq8rpozBJxROgByNA0WmxsuPEWoZE8K3oGMlJYcOF5MTmA9nWd4a6IQzf7YCnQ0ZojGU=w838-h530-no

This same issue exists on both OnX and Gaia where the lines don't exactly line up with a fence that I'm fairly certain was verified by being surveyed, but error appears to be less than 10-15 feet.

UpRS-Zl4vfKcRpxmyCXkprTM7oAM0GaMTPt9PXUxtHg4BhN1cr9uS_gmbEV-aF2oVcQdqPcffzBMAyt3lfcZ9ATmVR48blO8SBvSd-FVeGnUHORWyMN6tFgH4hxxrT_Hizp190IMZc0=w771-h683-no

amp713

WKR
Used Gaia for a bit but never tried the premium, might be time to give it a shot

wapitibob

WKR
I've been using it for a cpl weeks now. It's got a cpl quirks but overall not bad. They're working on direct import of some data I find crucial for Internet scouting and when done it will be awesome.

The public/private does need upgrade compared to onx, but using it in the back country were boundaries aren’t an issue Gaia was far more reliable than onx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

frosty_1

FNG
I just downloaded it the other night and paid for the premium membership. I had a few questions so I emailed Gaia...heard back in just a couple hours. Pretty good customer service!

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
So - every boundary that I compared, was the same between OnX and Gaia. Obviously not extensive, but it checked out for me. I did report a "bug" for Gaia to look into where certain BLM land came up as BLM on the parcel map, but wasn't coming up as BLM/Public on the public/private map.

My experience was they were very receptive to feedback. Especially if you're a reasonably heavy user - get a 3 Month premium subscription, use it, document your feedback and send it in.

WapitiBob - what kind of Import doesn't it do? Only thing I do is manage all my waypoints, tracks, areas, etc. in Google Earth and then import everything into Gaia for whatever trip I'm going on.

wapitibob

WKR
I hunt oregon and Wyoming every year and they have travel management areas, downloadable in geopdf. Gaia does have a way to get them in the web map but it's not as clean and simple as I'd like. They're working on it, I'm just impatient.

dotman

WKR
Here is an example of the public land boundaries being off, but the private land boundaries appear to be consistent with OnX.

tUY1eDgcIzFgpHp6bhR9YfN_gL-2259Ad_-HNACnJBiPueeHejDEz51FqL0T2DbAS-5s0oMKq8rpozBJxROgByNA0WmxsuPEWoZE8K3oGMlJYcOF5MTmA9nWd4a6IQzf7YCnQ0ZojGU=w838-h530-no

This same issue exists on both OnX and Gaia where the lines don't exactly line up with a fence that I'm fairly certain was verified by being surveyed, but error appears to be less than 10-15 feet.

UpRS-Zl4vfKcRpxmyCXkprTM7oAM0GaMTPt9PXUxtHg4BhN1cr9uS_gmbEV-aF2oVcQdqPcffzBMAyt3lfcZ9ATmVR48blO8SBvSd-FVeGnUHORWyMN6tFgH4hxxrT_Hizp190IMZc0=w771-h683-no

Thing is fences are not always in the correct place, when public land is fenced they usually take the easiest route.

Thing is fences are not always in the correct place, when public land is fenced they usually take the easiest route.

I agree normally, but this is private land on all 3 sides and I hunt on the bottom right corner. I'm pretty sure it was surveyed when the landowner bought it about 15 years ago. The BLM about 200 yards to the south the fence hasn't been corrected and is about 10 feet further to the east and the ranch manager on the west side acknowledged it verbally, but AFAIK if a fence stays for a certain amount of time the land becomes theirs.

dotman

WKR
I agree normally, but this is private land on all 3 sides and I hunt on the bottom right corner. I'm pretty sure it was surveyed when the landowner bought it about 15 years ago. The BLM about 200 yards to the south the fence hasn't been corrected and is about 10 feet further to the east and the ranch manager on the west side acknowledged it verbally, but AFAIK if a fence stays for a certain amount of time the land becomes theirs.

First I've ever heard that about the land ownership changing just because of fence placement but that could vary by state.

First I've ever heard that about the land ownership changing just because of fence placement but that could vary by state.

I guess it's a legal mess, but you can both claim you own it or claim you have the right to use it through historical use.

Fence and Boundary Line Disputes – The Legal Sausage - Law Offices of Peter N. Brewer

In our case it's actually nice because the elk are always hesitant to jump the fence and even though we've never done it we could legally shoot them right on the other side of the fence. I once had a bull (when I had a cow tag) stand there with his chest to the fence bugling for 20 minutes but never jumped over.

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Yep, the converted map won't show. I use G-raster and Mapc2mapc for conversions. Neither onx nor gaia support import of a converted raster image to a KML file. I use GE Pro for almost all of my internet scouting.

I do the same with GE Pro. Can you import into GE as a KML - then export from there for upload into Gaia? Never tried it myself, just wondering.

Titan

WKR
I use Gaia while hunting. I use the topo map with shows private land on there. What is the difference between these two?

TheCougar

WKR
Sweet. I just wish their satellite imagery was as good as OnX. I only have two aerial imagery sources on my app and neither are all that great. What satellite imagery are you using?