Trail cam reccomendations?

Nalgene

Lil-Rokslider
I am wanting to stock up this holiday/off season on new trail cams. I want basic cameras that have little to no flash at night with long battery life. I do not need studio quality pics or great video or cell service, I just want to be able see what is passing by, long battery life and durable. What would you recommend?

Tod osier

WKR
I have a bunch of bushnell trophy cams that fit your description. Excellent battery life, good pics. Reviews on them are mixed, but if you can get them on sale... the price is right. I had one problem with mine and was fixed under warranty. Mine are 5 MP so not latest models by a long shot, but are still performing after several years.

Titan

WKR
Picked up a Cuddeback that was on sale at Cabelas - man that thing is a piece of junk. Had tons of SD card errors to start, and it only took a few pics the whole week even though deer walked 3-4 feet in front of it. Maybe I got a bad one, but for the same price ($100) I think you can get a more user friendly unit.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Played with most of them.....Browning Strike Force without question. Stop looking. Scheels had for $69 on Friday. I bought another yesterday at store and they honored price so call them. Takes 6 batteries vs 8. Long battery life, fantastic trigger time, great night shots. No flaws. I sold 4) $500 Reconyx and standardized on the Strike Force.

Pro953

WKR
Trail cams are tough. In my opinion the brand is important but the model is important to. Right now I run the Bushnell trophy’s and Stealth cam PX line. When they work well the Bushnells take amazing photos but they can be finicky with placements angle, sun direction etc. I also tend to pickup more false positive, photos of leaf movement and what not. The Stealth cams are cheaper and tend to be more forgiving though at the cost of some photo quality at night. Just use Lythium batteries and they will run forever. I only change battery’s once a season with my cams.

One comment on cameras is a lot of the complaints seem to be based around bad setup and location choice. Play with the different settings sensitivity etc for a few days before you put it out. Also understand sun angle and how it will hit the cam. Nothing more frustrating that running the cam for a month only to find your card filled in the first two or three days from false positives from the sun.

I also really like running brackets vs strapping to a tree. You can bring a climbing stick and hang them high with more angle options. Less theft risk and generally better photos.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
Dick's sporting goods has Primo's trail cameras for $30 after mail in rebate. Cheap, simple and easy to use cameras, I have been running them for a few years now and they get the job done at a great price point.

Access Denied

Titan

WKR
I was about to snag that primos from Dicks since it's so cheap but saw a review that said the rebate is only good for the 63054 model (10mp). This is the 12mp model (64054).

Did you get the rebat to work?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can get good cams for under $100 these days. Spypoint has some good options along with stealth cams...I run them all year round it is like Xmas when you go check 👍

Attachments

• 9FC96128-789E-451D-9884-0331531444B6.jpg
    9FC96128-789E-451D-9884-0331531444B6.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 8BC2B77B-C027-496A-9DE3-E922C4571A93.jpg
    8BC2B77B-C027-496A-9DE3-E922C4571A93.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 105

svivian

WKR
That's a heck of a deal on the primos. And they take decent pics. When I first started buying cams I only bought the expensive ones but now I wouldn't spend over $100. Cheap cameras now are 5 times as good as expensive cameras 5 years ago. Just pay attention the battery life.

4x9B6Dt.jpg

svivian

WKR
$25 bushnell cam

zxoMEnf.jpg

EjoNdQG.jpg

$175 stealth cam
0L4s5OE.jpg

8AXxUwK.jpg

I don't know if there is a huge difference in pic quality but I can have the stealth cam up for 9-11 months without changing batteries and the bushnell will go about 3 months.

muddydogs

WKR
I was about to snag that primos from Dicks since it's so cheap but saw a review that said the rebate is only good for the 63054 model (10mp). This is the 12mp model (64054).

Did you get the rebat to work?

I did last year when I purchased 2 of them. Still pondering purchasing a couple more this year.

diyguy

FNG
I picked up 3 Moultrie cameras, unsure of the exact model, on clearance for 33$ a piece at Cabelas when the new year models came out. They are easy to use and take decent pictures. I HAD a Primos that I shot a deer in front of at 2PM and it never took a picture but got me getting into the stand and getting the arrow after the shot. I won't use the Primos again but that's just my two cents.

muddydogs

WKR
So I chatted with Dick's and called Primo's, Dick's was no help but the lady at Primo's told me the rebate forum is for the cam that Dick's has listed on sale, Primo's doesn't care what the forum says as long as the model number on the bar code that is sent in is 64054 which is the 12 MP camera. So purchase and rebate at your own risk, I picked up one.

Titan

WKR
"Receive $30 cash back when you purchase a qualifying Primos Proof Cam from
Dick’s Sporting Goods. Offer good on model 63054 ONLY."

That is at the top of the rebate form. But the Primos lady said it would work for the 64054? I always feel like rebates are tricky and they look for any reason to deny it. Ha!

Let us know if you get it approved. If it does, that is a great deal.

muddydogs

WKR
"Receive $30 cash back when you purchase a qualifying Primos Proof Cam from
Dick’s Sporting Goods. Offer good on model 63054 ONLY."

That is at the top of the rebate form. But the Primos lady said it would work for the 64054? I always feel like rebates are tricky and they look for any reason to deny it. Ha!

Let us know if you get it approved. If it does, that is a great deal.

Yep the lady at Primo's promotions supposedly looked up the Dick's promotion and said it was for model 64054 not the one listed on the rebate forum. She made it sound like the forum was something from Dick's so maybe it's last years forum and they didn't bother to change the model number? Thing is the sale will be over before I see the rebate I'm sure so it's a risk it deal but at $60 the price is still ok.

stonewall

WKR
I’ve gotten to the point I almost view trail cams as single year use. Have had problems with moultrie. Mostly success with stealth cams (bought a bunch of refurbished off camofire). Brownings are okay but go out just like all the others. I’ve been looking at the exodus cameras. They are pricey but have an amazing warranty and may be worth your consideration. Idk about battery life

JohnnyB

WKR
I have a bushnell that I bought two years ago for $89. One set of lithium batteries works for about 9 months or about 5000 10 second video clips. I leave it out all year. Lots of teeth marks but still running.

Clarktar

WKR
I am wanting to stock up this holiday/off season on new trail cams. I want basic cameras that have little to no flash at night with long battery life. I do not need studio quality pics or great video or cell service, I just want to be able see what is passing by, long battery life and durable. What would you recommend?
I recommend Moultrie but I have only used moultire and Bushnell so my comparison small. It doesn't get much below freezing in my area, which could be why I get such great battery life on my cameras. Lots of flash and IR options.

I happen to be selling one, if your interested let me know.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Netherman

WKR
I don't know if there is a huge difference in pic quality but I can have the stealth cam up for 9-11 months without changing batteries and the bushnell will go about 3 months.

I have a few stealth cam P12s and they seem to last forever but I think the motion sensors seem to become worse later in the season. either due to lowered batteries, the cold, or both.

swampokie

WKR
bushnell are good but browning strike force are the best. Primos is the only camera that I was thankful to have stolen.