OnX App

gabenzeke

WKR
Wondering what everyone's experiences have been with the app when you are without cell service. I saved maps with the layers I needed ahead of time. But when I get to my destination and open up my app, the saved maps won't load. This happens if I have the phone in airplane mode or of I switch to offline within the app and any combination of the two. Does anyone else have the same problem? Luckily I was in Colorado and could get service at the top of some mountains, but this year I'll be in Idaho so I'd like to get this sorted out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
I use it on two phones, the droid can't use a cell connection and still works great. Try putting the phone in airplane mode before you open the app.

I just tried to open my map with airplane mode activated and it wouldn't load my location. It would move the curser when I requested it to go to my location, but no map appeared.

I then turned off airplane mode, and the map instantly appeared.
So once it was fully loaded, I again hit the airplane mode icon and the map instantly disappeared.
I have not "loaded" any maps yet though on my new phone. I just have the 5 states marked with layers I want with my way points etc.

Have you actually selected to Save the maps in either of the 5, 10 or 100 mile choices?

I just loaded my Idaho map and saved a 100 mile area, and once it was loaded I hit the "off- grid" link and then the airplane mode icon and my map was there.
You will have to manually load the map by scrolling to it. Go to where you will be hunting, and chose the smallest selection possible to save space on your phones memory and the map will begin to load. Once loaded you should be able to offline and it still be there.
Hope this helps.

I just loaded my Idaho map and saved a 100 mile area, and once it was loaded I hit the "off- grid" link and then the airplane mode icon and my map was there.
You will have to manually load the map by scrolling to it. Go to where you will be hunting, and chose the smallest selection possible to save space on your phones memory and the map will begin to load. Once loaded you should be able to offline and it still be there.
Hope this helps.
Don't forget to download national forest, private land boundaries when you do, otherwise they won't be available off grid

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Ive used it extensively offline with no issues. Put phone in airplane mode, open app, choose off-grid and the pre downloaded map pops up with no problems. I have had some problems downloading the maps, if my phone goes to "sleep" or the screen turns off before the map downloads it wont finish. So I have to keep the app open and my phone awake while downloading maps. Google Pixel Phone.

here is a screen shot of the download
When you zoom in it gets more detail sane as normal
cfbf01d1bd66256b32ade356d6960368.jpg

wapitibob

WKR
I think I'm going to a dedicated unit for OnX and Gaia this year. A 7" tablet with wifi only, 8gb, add a 128gb sd and be good to go. I got OnX to write to the sd card so this setup should be good for my old guy eyes. Those old tablets are like $99.

bertsch

FNG
I don't have any problems running it offline. But, I have a BIG problem with it taking HOURS to download the maps. I wish they would add a feature that allowed us to download an entire hunting unit (at the highest resolution) with one click. This is such a major drawback for me that I will no longer use OnX Maps.

I don't have any problems running it offline. But, I have a BIG problem with it taking HOURS to download the maps. I wish they would add a feature that allowed us to download an entire hunting unit (at the highest resolution) with one click. This is such a major drawback for me that I will no longer use OnX Maps.

Yea it takes a bit for sure.

The area I am hunting in Idaho next year is like huge and it includes another unit as well so I couldn't get by with the smaller 10 mile set up- I needed the 100 mile- took a while to originally download, but when I pull it up no, it is pretty quick.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
It should not take more than 10 minutes or so to download an offline map. I will follow up with our team to look into this for you!
You can save multiple maps if you want that detail level of a larger area, thanks for the feedback. We are looking into more options to improve the offline maps process and make it as easy as possible so I will definitely take all this information to our team so we can get on that.
Thanks again for the support. Here is a refresher link on how to save those offline maps. Off-Grid maps - Save maps when you are out of cell coverage – onX Please let us know if you have any other questions

Wondering what everyone's experiences have been with the app when you are without cell service. I saved maps with the layers I needed ahead of time. But when I get to my destination and open up my app, the saved maps won't load. This happens if I have the phone in airplane mode or of I switch to offline within the app and any combination of the two. Does anyone else have the same problem? Luckily I was in Colorado and could get service at the top of some mountains, but this year I'll be in Idaho so I'd like to get this sorted out.

My experience is that it can be a little glitchy.
Give it ample time to load the first time. Just when you think it is loaded, more layers are working to load.
It can take a while, particularly if you loaded a large area

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
It should not take more than 10 minutes or so to download an offline map. I will follow up with our team to look into this for you!
You can save multiple maps if you want that detail level of a larger area, thanks for the feedback. We are looking into more options to improve the offline maps process and make it as easy as possible so I will definitely take all this information to our team so we can get on that.
Thanks again for the support. Here is a refresher link on how to save those offline maps. Off-Grid maps - Save maps when you are out of cell coverage – onX Please let us know if you have any other questions

Biggest thing I’d like to see you guys do is bring back Google Earth integration. Your viewer sucks in comparison. Additionally, why can a user not select a hunt unit or outline an area and just download the whole thing and all layers with one click?

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is that it can be a little glitchy.
Give it ample time to load the first time. Just when you think it is loaded, more layers are working to load.
It can take a while, particularly if you loaded a large area

As with any program, the more information that is downloaded, the more that the device has to process and load. The app is designed for the latest smartphones and unfortunately some older ones have experienced performance issues as the device software gets updated. We are constantly looking at ways to improve performance and speed of the app across devices so I'll have our team look into this

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Biggest thing I’d like to see you guys do is bring back Google Earth integration. Your viewer sucks in comparison. Additionally, why can a user not select a hunt unit or outline an area and just download the whole thing and all layers with one click?

Appreciate the feedback. We are continually adding features and improving our web viewer and it's something we are working on to make more intuitive. I know that many people, including myself, utilize Google Earth to be able to get that ground level view to find a glassing knob so it is definitely helpful and would make our system that much better with that feature so again, I'm reiterating this to our team!

As with any program, the more information that is downloaded, the more that the device has to process and load. The app is designed for the latest smartphones and unfortunately some older ones have experienced performance issues as the device software gets updated. We are constantly looking at ways to improve performance and speed of the app across devices so I'll have our team look into this
Thanks for the response!
In case it didn't pop up. Mine is a Samsung s8+.

I find myself using your app a lot!
I have a phone issue that I am hoping to resolve with this phone in that during tracking it will drop the GPS at times leaving my tracking looking like straight lines.

I know it's a phone issue and not the app, any suggestions?

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the feedback. We are continually adding features and improving our web viewer and it's something we are working on to make more intuitive. I know that many people, including myself, utilize Google Earth to be able to get that ground level view to find a glassing knob so it is definitely helpful and would make our system that much better with that feature so again, I'm reiterating this to our team!

Thanks TH.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the response!
In case it didn't pop up. Mine is a Samsung s8+.

I find myself using your app a lot!
I have a phone issue that I am hoping to resolve with this phone in that during tracking it will drop the GPS at times leaving my tracking looking like straight lines.

I know it's a phone issue and not the app, any suggestions?

We have heard of this issue before and it does come down to the device pinpointing your location. As the smartphones, continue to improve, the GPS accuracy will also improve. One suggestion, do you have a shoulder strap that you can put the phone in rather than in a pocket? This could help the app stay in clear view of that GPS signal