Map Companion Software for Garmin GPS

Etexag

FNG
Map Companion Software for Garmin GPS (Onxmaps or other?)

Looking for map companion software and maps for my Garmin Montana. I am aware of Onxmaps. Is this the best option for mapping public land hunting. I mostly hunt Texas, Colorado and Idaho.

I want to plan my hunt in Colorado and have the same maps on my handheld garmin.

What are yalls recommendations?

Last edited:

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for map companion software and maps for my Garmin Montana. I am aware of Onxmaps. Is this the best option for mapping public land hunting. I mostly hunt Texas, Colorado and Idaho.

I want to plan my hunt in Colorado and have the same maps on my handheld garmin.

What are yalls recommendations?

I'll chime in. One of the great things about the onX Hunt Chip is that it comes with a year of our membership as well (access on the phone, tablet, and computer). Many people utilize the Web map for e-scouting where you'll get the topo maps but also the satellite imagery and exclusive layers such as the historic wildfires, roadless areas, timber cuts, and many more. You can also view the chip directly on your computer through Garmin Basecamp. With that, if you are e-scouting the information, marking waypoints, areas, etc to check out on the Web Map, you can export those markups then import them into your GPS unit. After that first year, you can update your Hunt Chip for the price of a membership (Premium or Elite) whereas other chips you have to buy a whole new chip to get updated information. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have

Brendan

WKR
Heres how I do it.

Google Earth for scouting. Create and manage your waypoints there, load into your Garmin or Gaia.

Caltopo for integrating topo overlays as a layer into Google Earth (many other layers too)

Gaia GPS as an app on your phone. Premium version supports layers, public private, land ownership, etc.

I have used OnX, only thing I haven't replicated elsewhere yet is the heatmap for distance from roads.

OP
E

Etexag

FNG
Is there a nationwide chip? I am hunting 3 states this year: Texas, Idaho and Colorado. Might add a few other states next year. Do I need to buy a separate chip for each state?

I'll chime in. One of the great things about the onX Hunt Chip is that it comes with a year of our membership as well (access on the phone, tablet, and computer). Many people utilize the Web map for e-scouting where you'll get the topo maps but also the satellite imagery and exclusive layers such as the historic wildfires, roadless areas, timber cuts, and many more. You can also view the chip directly on your computer through Garmin Basecamp. With that, if you are e-scouting the information, marking waypoints, areas, etc to check out on the Web Map, you can export those markups then import them into your GPS unit. After that first year, you can update your Hunt Chip for the price of a membership (Premium or Elite) whereas other chips you have to buy a whole new chip to get updated information. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a nationwide chip? I am hunting 3 states this year: Texas, Idaho and Colorado. Might add a few other states next year. Do I need to buy a separate chip for each state?

At this time, they do only come as the single state Chips so you would need an individual one for each state. We're looking into options for this