Best Samsung phone to run GPS app on

sneaky

"DADDY"
There are portable sources that are lightweight and support Samsungs fast charge feature. I have been using them without issue while hunting. I keep both in a jacket pocket and a full charge happens in around 35 minutes.
Which ones support the fast charge feature?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last year I used an S4 and US TOPO MAPS app. I actually preferred it to the Garmin 62 my brother carried. I didn't have land owner information, but the TOPO lines were invaluable. The maps download to the SD card for use in airplane mode.

I've got OnX now for my home state. I also bought an S8. It has a lot of internal storage, so OnX works fine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Which ones support the fast charge feature?

The new USB-PD protocol is the fastest form of charging, but requires both the charger and phone to support it. Anker only has one charger that supports it.

The next fastest solution, which is a lot more prevalent is Qualcomm Quick Charge, which is on most new phones with Qualcomm Snapdragon processors. You will also need a battery pack that supports the same version as your phone.

Quick Charge Device List | Qualcomm

Lastly, Anker chargers have something called PowerIQ which adjusts output voltage based on the device it identifies. Unlike the two options above which require the device and supply to communicate and adjust voltage and current based on what the device's charging circuit requests, this solution just outputs a constant amount of power based on what the battery pack thinks is best for your device.

As far as I can tell the Dark Energy Poseiden doesn't support any of these and just outputs 5v at 2.4A, but I'd confirm that with them directly and see if they have something coming out to keep up with modern devices.

nrh6.7

WKR
It looks like you are right on the S8 Active for the US version. This has not been true of the series in the past and is why I've never considered them, so I assumed it still was. In comparing the specs it appears that the battery, GPS and bluetooth chip are the only differences as well as some software differences (one uses s-voice and the other Bixby). I almost went with Sammy this go around, but my experiences with them in the past and their very poor software practices in abandoning phones after about a year was the deterrent for me.

Compare Samsung Galaxy S8 Active vs. Samsung Galaxy S8 - GSMArena.com

Just looked up my S7 Active and it appears it and the regular S7 both come with the Snapdragon 820 processor. I picked the active intentionally for hunting to get the larger battery and durability.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
The new USB-PD protocol is the fastest form of charging, but requires both the charger and phone to support it. Anker only has one charger that supports it.

The next fastest solution, which is a lot more prevalent is Qualcomm Quick Charge, which is on most new phones with Qualcomm Snapdragon processors. You will also need a battery pack that supports the same version as your phone.

Quick Charge Device List | Qualcomm

Lastly, Anker chargers have something called PowerIQ which adjusts output voltage based on the device it identifies. Unlike the two options above which require the device and supply to communicate and adjust voltage and current based on what the device's charging circuit requests, this solution just outputs a constant amount of power based on what the battery pack thinks is best for your device.

As far as I can tell the Dark Energy Poseiden doesn't support any of these and just outputs 5v at 2.4A, but I'd confirm that with them directly and see if they have something coming out to keep up with modern devices.

I have been running a couple of these without issue. Cheap and work great.

Amazon.com: ZMI 2-Way Fast Charging Portable Charger Ultra-Compact Power Bank 10000mAh External Backup Battery Pack for iPhone iPad Samsung Galaxy Low-Power Charging for Fitbit Bluetooth Headphones (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Looks like that one probably supports Qualcomm Quickcharge 3.0 ONLY based on the device list and the fact that it says "USB PD not supported. Does not fast charge Pixel phones".