in reach/gps advice

diving into solo backpack hunting this year and trying to get all my gear together this spring and summer to play with it b4 seasons start. my gps setup is currently a 4 year old etrex20 from garmin with an old onxhunt chip. my wife wants me to get a sat phone so i dont get in real trouble and she can sleep, and honestly i think its a good idea and would be the smart thing to do but i dont even know where to begin.
is there a good option for a gps with some updated tech ei birdseye that also has the satelight texting ability? or for cost am i better off sticking with the extrex and just getting something else for communication? what are some good options to look into for quality and price that will get me a good idea of what im getting into?

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to hijack the thread, but you may be wanting to hear the answer too....does anyone know if Garmin is planning on releasing an in Reach this year that is compatible with the onX chips? I know the current models won't take the chips, hopefully they release a model this year that will accept them.

Titan

WKR
If you already have a setup for using GPS, then just pick up the cheaper Garmin InReach. I have the nicer one with the maps and only used that function once. GAIA on my phone is much easier to use.

OP
G
If you already have a setup for using GPS, then just pick up the cheaper Garmin InReach. I have the nicer one with the maps and only used that function once. GAIA on my phone is much easier to use.
i have a dumb phone that is 6 years old. my garmin does good but is only partial color so i cant do satellite imagery but like i said it works. ill definitely look into the cheaper inreach then maiby when i finaly upgrade my phone ill just get a good gps ap for the phone.

welch01

FNG
Another idea might be to rent a Sattelite Phone. I use Gem State Communications in Boise. I think it is about a $75 rental fee for an entire week. I started renting one a couple years ago because my wife was pregnant during my elk hunting trip and we just wanted the extra security. You can't text from it but if you keep your calls quick then it is great.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Not trying to hijack the thread, but you may be wanting to hear the answer too....does anyone know if Garmin is planning on releasing an in Reach this year that is compatible with the onX chips? I know the current models won't take the chips, hopefully they release a model this year that will accept them.

No way would garmin allow that to happen. They have their own Hunt premium land owner maps now that compete with Onxmaps.

xziang

WKR
I run a garmin 60csx an old non colored one. I like this one for the battery life is pretty long on it and when I'm hiking I keep it on 24/7 just because I like to see my distance etc. I have also started to use the inReach device and have paired it to my smartphone. This is nice for I am able to have satellite imagery of the area using it that way. ((YES I know I am carrying extra stuff with me but for me it is peace of mind really)) I only turn on the phone in airplane mode when needed if at all.

I know or thought there were some new devices that garmin has that include the inReach capability too. Some smart phones can be picked up pretty cheap on CL or Ebay and could be used in conjunction with the inReach device too. Therotically you could probably get away with JUST the inreach device as your GPS.

I will admit I haven't tried or used my smartphone exclusively and still like to have my safety blanket of the garmin 60csx in my pocket.

Netherman

WKR
I'm holding out as long as possible hoping that they add SD capability. If Garmin waits longer than I can, I'll be looking for an old Delorme unit to wait them out.

No way would garmin allow that to happen. They have their own Hunt premium land owner maps now that compete with Onxmaps.

Their HuntView Maps still require a SD slot. Not that they couldn't prevent third party add-ons but I'm not sure the cost vs. benefit is there to do so.

Nick

FlyGuy

WKR
The inreach is the way to go. I bought one used off of EBay a couple years ago (the old pre-Garmin yellow model). It still works great. I do carry a separate GPS though. Planning to keep it that way too. My 62 Burns through about a pair of double A per day and a half, but the inReach lasts for about 5-7 days.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Runar

FNG
I upgraded from a Spot to the nicer inReach last year. Totally happy with it. Where I hunt I don't end up needing to use the Gps all that much and, for example, haven't had the need for OnX, but I can see where that'd be useful. Can you download OnX info to your cellphone? I've also made good use of the Avenza app on my cell phone.

With only powering on the inReach a couple times a day I had no problem with batteries lasting the 10 nights I was out last year.