Garmin Rink 650 vs Rino 530HCX

Pm1176

Lil-Rokslider
Pros and cons to each, please! Who has had both and regrets or likes their decisions to keep old or update...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I've had both, only the 530 hcx is still around. The 530 has only had one real hiccup and it was resolved by plugging it into my computer and reinstalling the mapping software. I bought the 650 to try out and because I got a smokin deal on it through Garmin Canada's guide program. The touch screen was nice although it didn't work as well as I was told it would with gloves. About 2/3's of the way through my guide season the 650 died. I sent the Garmin rep an email when I had a chance and I was sent a new battery. New battery didn't do it, unit still wouldn't turn on. I had to wait until I was out of the Yukon to get ahold of Garmin to see about warranty. In short, Garmin wouldn't warranty the unit and it now bounces around my house as an expensive paper weight. I realize that every company turns out the occasional lemon and I would certainly try another rino, but I'm not giving up my 530 anytime soon.

OP
P

Pm1176

Lil-Rokslider
I've had both, only the 530 hcx is still around. The 530 has only had one real hiccup and it was resolved by plugging it into my computer and reinstalling the mapping software. I bought the 650 to try out and because I got a smokin deal on it through Garmin Canada's guide program. The touch screen was nice although it didn't work as well as I was told it would with gloves. About 2/3's of the way through my guide season the 650 died. I sent the Garmin rep an email when I had a chance and I was sent a new battery. New battery didn't do it, unit still wouldn't turn on. I had to wait until I was out of the Yukon to get ahold of Garmin to see about warranty. In short, Garmin wouldn't warranty the unit and it now bounces around my house as an expensive paper weight. I realize that every company turns out the occasional lemon and I would certainly try another rino, but I'm not giving up my 530 anytime soon.

Thank you! Do you notice any quicker acquisition or difference between the two in timber with satellites, tracking, etc? I used a 530 that a buddy had and the push-to-talk button was a real pain; often wouldn’t work at all. Maybe that one was a blem. I sure appreciate your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
They were both similar in acquisition time. I used to guide up in the Canadian Arctic and the further north I traveled the worse the radio functioned. In either BC or Saskatchewan the radio worked great on either, although I did have the US version which has a 5 watt rather than 2 watt transmitter. Let me know if you have any other questions.