Buy old phone specifically for OnX?

freshta

WKR
Has anyone purchased an old phone or use an old phone specifically to load OnX or Gaia onto it? I don't really want my personal cell phone out in the elements too much and was wondering if buying a used one to load maps onto is smart or even feasible?

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I have tested this on an old iPhone 6 that I have and yes, the GPS capabilities still work in the device even though there is no service plan attached to it. I doubled checked tonight just to be sure. Saved a map quick, threw the tracker on, went in airplane mode, and went on a quick walk around the block and it works the same as any other device.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
ya its a great idea. just have to make sure to use wifi to download all the updates and maps you need or want ahead of time

Dinger

WKR
I've used a mapping tools on my Samsung S7 for hunting since I got it, it's been wet more times than I can remember. It has a semi-permanent home in the top elastic sleeve on my AGC harness.

I can't imagine owning a cell phone that's not Ip68 or better.....anything I'm taking into the field needs to be waterproof.

Why carry two bits of kit when one will do?

Axlrod

WKR
I've used a mapping tools on my Samsung S7 for hunting since I got it, it's been wet more times than I can remember. It has a semi-permanent home in the top elastic sleeve on my AGC harness.

I can't imagine owning a cell phone that's not Ip68 or better.....anything I'm taking into the field needs to be waterproof.

Why carry two bits of kit when one will do?
This^
+ if your phone gets ruined then it becomes your old phone

Older phones have weaker batteries....not what I want. I’ve carried my iPhone, versions 4, 5 and 7 for about 7 years without failure...everyday of the year. Stick them in a shirt pocket in a pint ziplock freezer bag if it is going to be wet. They are tough as heck, never broken one. On the other hand I went thru 5 Garmin GPS units that all failed. Give me the phone for toughness, compact versatility every time. Good luck.

dotman

WKR
I also wouldn’t use an older phone, I have been using my main phone for a few years without issue.

Joelweb

FNG
My iphone 6 battery life is getting frustratingly short and I wish I had a faster processor so that the onX layers would populate more rapidly. I would expect them to continue to upgrade the app. The more advanced phones will be able to better handle more advanced features.

garbs

FNG
My iphone 6 battery life is getting frustratingly short and I wish I had a faster processor so that the onX layers would populate more rapidly. I would expect them to continue to upgrade the app. The more advanced phones will be able to better handle more advanced features.
Just in case you haven’t heard, Apple is replacing batteries for $30 until the end of the year. My wife had her iPhone 6’s battery replaced and the phone not only lasts longer on a charge but is also much faster.

A Message to Our Customers - Apple

snakelk

WKR
I use my old Samsung Galaxy S5 for GPS maps and it works great (current phone is an s8). The S5 has a removable battery and is also water resistant. I have two extra batteries that take up very little space and don't weigh as much as a power pack. I like the option of either charging with a power pack, or replacing the battery. All satellite and topo maps are loaded for use without cell service.

NYSKIER

WKR
Great thread a good to know that they work without a plan. I think I will start doing this next year and like snakelk I'm going to get some extra batteries. I personally like a GPS unit but a phone takes up little space and I think is totally worth it as a backup

wapitibob

WKR
Older phones work just fine, nothing but wifi and a gps chip is needed.
I use my daughters old LG G3 for both OnX and GAIA. OnX does not write to an sd card so I rooted the phone to get past that. The screen is as big as a new Iphone 8. Batteries are $30.
I also use both OnX and GAIA on my Iphone 5. Smaller screen and not much memory but the apps work just fine. You can replace a battery in an old Iphone for $30 including the tool kit, off ebay.
My next purchase will be a 7" tablet, a 128 gig sd card, and used only for the gps apps/camera for hunting and scouting.

My personal reluctance to get On X maps on my cell phone is that my hunts always occur in temperatures that are very COLD. My iPhone does not last long at all in these cold temperatures. I am sure I am not alone on this one. What is your work-around for this issue?

Morrid7

FNG
For extreme cold temperatures I keep the phone in a pocket next to my base layer so my body heat keeps warm enough to operate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
S7 edge user here, battery last infinitely longer than my older phones. Will be switching to the S9 soon.

Older phones work just fine, nothing but wifi and a gps chip is needed.
I use my daughters old LG G3 for both OnX and GAIA. OnX does not write to an sd card so I rooted the phone to get past that. The screen is as big as a new Iphone 8. Batteries are $30.
I also use both OnX and GAIA on my Iphone 5. Smaller screen and not much memory but the apps work just fine. You can replace a battery in an old Iphone for $30 including the tool kit, off ebay.
My next purchase will be a 7" tablet, a 128 gig sd card, and used only for the gps apps/camera for hunting and scouting.

I have considered this, do the non-plan tablets have the gps capability or do you need to have a plan based tablet? This would be great for trail cameras.