On X ?

Do I have to buy an elite membership (99$) to get more than one state?
I live in Utah and have the Utah version but it won’t let me use advanced layers in Colorado or buy the Colorado version (30$) I don’t want all 50 states. I’d even get rid of Utah to get Colorado if that’s what I have to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
At this time, the only two options are the single state Premium membership for the $30/year or the all 50 state Elite for $99/year. If you do upgrade to the Elite, it does prorate based on how much time you have left in your membership. Feel free to shoot us a message with your email address if you'd like and we can look up your account and see what we can do for you.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
While Gaia does try and undercut us on price ($39.99/year with no single state option), with all the additional information found in our app and ease of use that we have heard from users. It is well worth it. From our roadless areas, to layers with RMEF and NWTF, even the clarity of those layers it ends up being a value. And we work with partners where you'll likely be able to find a promo code out there.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
While Gaia does try and undercut us on price ($39.99/year with no single state option), with all the additional information found in our app and ease of use that we have heard from users. It is well worth it. From our roadless areas, to layers with RMEF and NWTF, even the clarity of those layers it ends up being a value. And we work with partners where you'll likely be able to find a promo code out there.

Then why don't you work with us? It's obvious we sell your product??

Brianb3

WKR
@OnXhunt Bring back the GOOGLE EARTH land ownership overlays!!!!! Please take my money!!!

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I just emailed them about this same issue as well. I understand marketing a bit and the drive to sell your product, but I do find it a bit disheartening that I can't get the data on the website for all the chips I buy. I don't want an Elite membership @ $15/mo or $99/year for all 50 states. I just want the data for the states I thought I paid for.

wapitibob

WKR
@OnXhunt Bring back the GOOGLE EARTH land ownership overlays!!!!! Please take my money!!!

It's too much of a burdon to have computer illiterate customers needing to update. It'd be the same pain in the butt their chips are.
I have most all of them and they're still my favorite but I'm moving to Toprut's product. Theirs just doesn't have the pvt owners name.

Last edited:

LandYacht

WKR
Another thing to keep in mind with the chip is that the free updates that are listed on the chip packaging are a little misleading. You only qualify for updates the year you buy the chip and then you need to pay for a membership afterwards.

I’m not sure why you’d need to update a new chip that you just bought, so plan on paying the membership fee in addition to the price of the chip.

dotman

WKR

Well after using both your OnX product and Gaia your statement just isn’t true, you offer custom layers like Eastman’s etc that are a waste and not needed. Take away your partnership hot spots and you and Gaia have the same. Plus I don’t think they undercut you since they’ve been out longer and have always had a lower price.

Imo your product isn’t worth $99 a year for maybe a 1% diff over Gaia which I pay $29.99 a year for all states for their premium, maybe they raised their prices since I got it to $39.99 but show me what key features you offer that they don’t?

Brianb3

WKR
Well after using both your OnX product and Gaia your statement just isn’t true, you offer custom layers like Eastman’s etc that are a waste and not needed. Take away your partnership hot spots and you and Gaia have the same. Plus I don’t think they undercut you since they’ve been out longer and have always had a lower price.

Imo your product isn’t worth $99 a year for maybe a 1% diff over Gaia which I pay $29.99 a year for all states for their premium, maybe they raised their prices since I got it to $39.99 but show me what key features you offer that they don’t?

Gaia to me is Ultra reliable. But I have both used the current wildfire maps last year a lot. The historical wildfire stuff is great too. But for boots on the ground topo and crumb trail Gaia is hands down more reliable. I get frustrated with OnX as it tries to be too much and becomes unreliable. I lost and had to resave maps several times last year.

dotman

WKR
Gaia to me is Ultra reliable. But I have both used the current wildfire maps last year a lot. The historical wildfire stuff is great too. But for boots on the ground topo and crumb trail Gaia is hands down more reliable. I get frustrated with OnX as it tries to be too much and becomes unreliable. I lost and had to resave maps several times last year.

Gaia has the wildfire layer as well for 2000 - 2016 or maybe you were saying this, lol.

I agree as well, it has been super reliable for me. Gaia has 254 possible map layers within its premium layers, when you include the non premium layers you have 305 options plus you can upload your own custom layers.

With OnX I didn’t have any issues with it when I used it in CO but it was horrible when I used it in KS. Gaia so far has worked well in both and for what you get for the price it’s hard to consider going back to OnX.

Last edited:

Brianb3

WKR
Gaia has the wildfire layer as well for 2000 - 2016 or maybe you were saying this, lol.

I agree as well, it has been super reliable for me. Gaia has 254 possible map layers within its premium layers, when you include the non premium layers you have 305 options plus you can upload your own custom layers.

With OnX I didn’t have any issues with it when I used it in CO but it was horrible when I used it in KS. Gaia so far has worked well in both and for what you get for the price it’s hard to consider going back to OnX.

I’m still on the old version

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Another thing to keep in mind with the chip is that the free updates that are listed on the chip packaging are a little misleading. You only qualify for updates the year you buy the chip and then you need to pay for a membership afterwards.

I’m not sure why you’d need to update a new chip that you just bought, so plan on paying the membership fee in addition to the price of the chip.

The updates to the chip come as a redemption code now and starts that year membership from the date you register the code and includes as many updates as we release as long as you have an active membership.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider

We gather our data directly from the sources such as each county, BLM, Forest Service etc rather than just hooking it up to a server via 3rd party so our data is more reliable and accurate since we work direct. There are also the custom hunting waypoint symbols to clearly differentiate different animals you see, various sign while out in the field, and we're continually adding more. There are those exclusive layers as well, on top of the other ones, we have our roadless areas, possible access, current wildfires. This obviously comes down to personal preference but we've heard from quite a few users that our interface and functionality is much easier to understand. We are all hunters ourselves as well and care about conservation, access to public lands, and maintaining our hunting traditions. The underlying functionality is the same as there is not much to differentiate any GPS unit for tracking, location, etc. Again, I'm happy to hear any other feedback as we are always improving and adding new features

Last edited:

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider

Sorry to hear it didn't work in Kansas. I'd be curious as to what specifically was not working so I can answer any questions since the only difference would be the information that is available for each state.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I’m still on the old version

If you are still in the old version of the app, I strongly recommend that you update the app as it is running much smoother than it did before.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
It's too much of a burdon to have computer illiterate customers needing to update. It'd be the same pain in the butt their chips are.
I have most all of them and they're still my favorite but I'm moving to Toprut's product. Theirs just doesn't have the pvt owners name.

You can always send your chips into us to get updated as well and we'll get them turned around real quick! Otherwise, we have step by step instructions here Updating your Hunt Chip on Windows/PC – onX

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I just emailed them about this same issue as well. I understand marketing a bit and the drive to sell your product, but I do find it a bit disheartening that I can't get the data on the website for all the chips I buy. I don't want an Elite membership @ $15/mo or $99/year for all 50 states. I just want the data for the states I thought I paid for.

Sorry about any confusion. I am not sure exactly what they responded with in your email but you can view your chips on the computer through Garmin Basecamp as an option. Also I am not sure if you got redemption codes with your chips but that does give you access through our webmap to those states when you redeem those codes. Since the webmap was not available years ago then that would be the reason you would not have access now depending on when you bought your chips since they are separate products