GPS Help

Jake C.

FNG
My dad and I are doing an OTC Montana Rifle hunt next year for the Elk/Deer combo tag. Pretty much have everything nailed out gear wise besides GPS. I'm lost when it comes to using these hand held devices. Looking at the Garmin Montana and Explorer Plus. Are there any other companies that have better products? Any information you guys can give me will help, total rookie in this area. Just wanting something I can mark waypoints with and have a tracking option to see our travel routes and make sure we can make it back to camp easily if we were to get turned around. I've been looking into OnX Maps but were going for 2 weeks and don't want to constantly be using my phone for GPS due to battery life. Thanks guys!

OnX and a portable power bank is what I'd use. I like that setup. That's what I've been using. I've never had it go two weeks but Newberg uses it all the time and he's out all fall. You'd likely need to pull out after a week to recharge the phone and power bank completely. I don't know that your GPS battery will last two straight weeks either though.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jake C.

FNG
I'm sure we will end up doing some sort of regroup after a week. I've got 2 Dark Energy charges as well to help keep things up and running. Ya I've been combing through Newberg's stuff, youtube and forums trying to learn as much as possible on anything DIY/Western hunting. Ive luckily got an uncle out in Polson, MT that's gonna help us as much as possible but he isn't sure if he will be able to actually go with us so just preparing to do everything on our own!