GIS files to GPS

I was given some shape files from GIS to put onto a Garmin 64s. What file format do the files need to be in to load onto the GPS? Would it be an XML(?)? Do I have to be running GIS to change the file format or can I change it through a file manager?

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
Search for DNR Garmin. It should give you a site with a download program. At work we use the Garmin base camp program. Basically you import the shapefiles as tracks, I think they are GPX files. Let me know if you can’t get it and I’ll write it out at work

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I use basecamp and ArcMap with my 60csx. It's not that straightforward but if you keep clicking you can convert the shapefiles to KMLs in Arc which will load into basecamp and then drag/drop onto the garmin. I'm sure there are other ways, perhaps with a file converter. I like GPSBabel for a pure file converter.

wapitibob

WKR
open the shape file in ge pro then save as a kmz then just drop the kmz into the custom map folder on the gps or sd card. Each of the boundary profiles will be a separate track on the gps.

attachment.php

OP
F
Thanks for the info everyone. I will try the things mentioned as I get time at work, things are about to get crazy catching up on spraying plantings and squeezing in control burns. I do not these loaded right away but will later this summer. Thanks again, I will update if I have issues.