Contour elevation lines for google earth and/or maps

buck34

FNG
New to this forum so hope this is right catagory for this post. Is there an app or program that will put accurate contour lines onto Google Earth or Maps?

I use Earth Point same as mcr-85. It's a little wonky though as in some areas the elevations are in meters and in others it's feet.

I'll have to take a look at toprut.

mvmnts

WKR
Yes, you can sign up for caltopo, build out your map with whatever layers you like. Save the map, click on 'download network link', and then open that file it gives you in google earth. It will then show you all your caltopo layers on the left hand panel of google earth. You can turn them on and off. Be patient as it loads them live over the internet. Any changes you make in caltopo, including layers, way points, etc will automatically be available in google earth. I use it all the time.

BradNSW

FNG
I like Idaho hunt planner.
IDFG Hunt Planner Map Center

You can build custom maps of an area (any scale/size/topo or satellite), then you can annotate your anticipated approach route, planned spike camp locations, waypoints, label basins you intent to hunt, etc. I leave a copy with wife and a trusted buddy. If I get cell coverage, I can text updates using the labels to give them a good idea where I'm at.

Worth checking out. All pretty simple and various map datum's give some great ways to compare terrain.

Here us a sample map (not my honey hole and hopefully not yours)!
sample hunt map.jpgsample hunt sat view.jpg

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
Again, toprut.

All toprut overlays reside on your pc so if you use a laptop you can have it in camp and have access to everything but sat imagery without internet.

OP
B

buck34

FNG
Thanks to all that posted to this thread, it was a big help to me and my grandson and very appreciated.