Caught in the act...

RoJo

WKR
41049394994_00f9b75b2f_z.jpg

OP
RoJo

RoJo

WKR
I use trail cameras more for fun that for hunting. But in light of AZ G&F's proposed restrictions on trail cameras, which if enacted will prohibit cameras within 1/4 mile of water catchments (guzzlers, tanks, etc.), I decided to pick up a few new cameras because my old cameras were just to slow to serve well as "trail" cameras. I settled on the SpyPoint Force 10 because it seemed like a good compromise between price and performance. It is way down on the price scale, yet still has good trigger speed (1/3 second) and recovery time. Photo quality isn't stellar, but I don't plan to enter any photo contests.

It has a time-lapse feature which sounded intriguing in theory, but that means the camera would be taking pics all the time and not just when there are animals in front of it. But I discovered that the speed (trigger and recovery) of this camera is good enough that it can actually simulate time-lapse and at the same time only take pics when there is movement. I had one of the cameras out in a random spot in the desert for a couple of weeks, as a test run. Just for fun, I loaded all the photos (hundreds of them!) from the second week of the test into my GoPro software and turned them into a video. Admittedly, this video isn't very exciting, but I did find it amusing that after the first cow dropped a duece all the other cows that came by seemed compelled to sniff it. And the coyote just had to roll in it.

I am looking forward to getting them out on some good game trails in some better habitat. I already have one on a trail in the Catalina Mountains, where I expect to catch bears and Coues deer wandering by.

[video=youtube;27Zd8kJZdzc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Zd8kJZdzc[/video]