SPOT Messenger - SPOT X?

dotman

WKR
I don’t think the satellite network they used is as good as the one inreach uses and no matter the device, it’ll only be as good as the network it operates on.

FYI... inreach doesn’t require a cell phone to text either, it’s just easier to use it that way.

Last edited:

Jacack

WKR
I have a inreach and can't say enough good things about it, I am a full time boat captain and it's so nice to be able to send a text to my wife from 110 miles offshore to check in or to tell her we are staying longer . I have used it all over the world including Argentina, Guatemala and all over the states and never had a issue.

I have the older delorme unit and have thought about the mini but for my use the weight isn't a real issue most of the time.

Vandy321

WKR
Reviving this thread to see if anyone has any updates. REI told me that initially when the Spot X came out, the firmware had issues. They are said to have updated that in their newer production models, but have not made a Gen 2 or anything. I like the idea of the Spot X as you can free text and it's the only version that offers a month to month plan.

In each sounds nice too, but I already carry a GPS, and PLB (yes, I know Spot acts as a PLB as well).

Anybody hear anything new on Spot X and it's real world performance?

Vandy321

WKR
This review is from November 2018.
https://www.outsideonline.com/2359806/review-spot-x-satellite-messenger

I've been watching these closely as well to see if they've gotten better.

I really only need it to send texts to the wife at the end of each day. I already carry a GPS and a Beacon. While I like the idea of the in-reach, I'd like a little bigger GPS screen to run onX hunt maps on.

I didnt see anything bad in the latest review about the firmware, maybe they have addressed it.

Thanks for the link!

Mike 338

WKR
Strange that the SPOT has been out so long and users still don't like it. Good grief, what would you do if you actually "needed" the thing?

I have done a lot of research on the topic and found similar results. Originally I was hoping to purchase a SPOT X due to the drastic price difference, but there is no way it’s worth the risk, especially if your life is counting on the device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea me and my son had the spot messenger for years , sent check in messages , sent custom messages ," brown is down etc" never had to send a sos msg, knock on wood, it never missed a beat. Even sent msgs from the tent. I just upgraded to the spot x activated it downloaded the firmware update and played with it In the house. Havent taken it out in the field. Its pretty slick has a crap load of custom msgs and you can make your own which doesn't count toward your minutes. It holds a lot of your contacts phone numbers and emails. I was able to get a gps signal in the house near a window and send out some text msgs , check in msg and custom. I even got text msgs back. I figured that if it does what the messenger did but with the option of receiving a text if theres a emergency at home or for me to send more info than Im happy. With that my son just got the Mini so this spring or fall when we are hunting together it will interesting to compare the results. No doubt Gamin is a good company.

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
I vote In reach just based off of personal experience and the network after talking with our search and rescue. Spot has let me down with 2 different units and their sat phone is crap

jjolg

FNG
For use in the Alberta rockies i prefer the spot x unit to the inreach i had used. With the inreach in the area people would get duplicate msgs from me, this has never happend with the spot x. Also my spot received msgs more promptly than my inreach regardless of settings, tech support had me try multiple things but never solved it.