Garmin inreach... what am I missing?

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up the inreach explorer plus. I have been using a Garmin 64 st so that's what I'm used to and comparing it to. I understand there are differences but is it just me or do I have to have it using tracking "data" to get it to show my breadcrumb path? I have the lowest plan for the off season just to test it so I don't want it tracking my path but I'd still like to see a breadcrumb trail on the unit while I use it. I was hoping I could leave the 64 st at camp and only take this one.

Second question, since this thing only has an internal battery (which I hate and think is stupid and if there was a better option I wouldn't have bought this thing because of that alone) what solar charger or charging system seems to be the best bet. I've got a 10 day hunt planned so charging is gonna be necessary. I like the idea of solar chargers since they can help you if your trip gets extended unexpectedly or if you need more charge for stuff. I may have to charge a cell phone too if I end up pairing the 2 frequently enough.

Brendan

WKR
You need to enable tracking to see your path through the web app. Unsure if there's a way to save a track like Garmin.

Battery life is pretty damn good - I use a dark energy Poseidon to recharge mine.

As a gps - it isn't great. It's real benefit is satellite communication, weather, tracking, SOS

OP
R

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
So if I enable tracking does that cost me anything when I'm using the lowest plan?

I'll check out that dark energy deal.

Trial153

WKR
So if I enable tracking does that cost me anything when I'm using the lowest plan?

I'll check out that dark energy deal.
You can just use tracking via the unit paired with earth mate. Its separate from any text/ email/ location that is sent to anyone. The later is configured in your message settings.

So in short you can tract your path all you want and its not connectted to the plan in any way.

I can get a soild 5 days without turning my in reach off, if i was careful with it i bet i could double that. I top the charge off with a battery pack o carry, either an anker or a dark engery. I have a goal zero as well however its not efficient for its size weigjt.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
I saw that anker also has some solar panels that are cheaper than goal zero. Do you think a 2 or 3 panel solar and a 20000mah battery would cover all GPS and cell phone needs for 10 days? The cell phone is the kicker cause it's nice to use the screen but it sucks down the battery.

Brendan

WKR
I saw that anker also has some solar panels that are cheaper than goal zero. Do you think a 2 or 3 panel solar and a 20000mah battery would cover all GPS and cell phone needs for 10 days? The cell phone is the kicker cause it's nice to use the screen but it sucks down the battery.

Depends on how you use it. Solar panel setups only really work if you leave them in the sun hooked up to the battery. If you can leave it at camp, charging a battery during the day, and then recharge devices from the battery at night you should be fine. Otherwise, bring two battery packs and meter your battery use.

OP
R

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
So it appears that to have a breadcrumb trail without using data all I have to do is enable a log interval but leave sharing off then start the tracking from the unit itself. It actually appears that my cell phone is not needed for that. This is good news because it makes it very similar to my 64st and if the battery turns out not to be an issue then it may replace it (provided I maintain an account throughout the year).

On the battery issue, I'm still pretty intrigued with these new solar panel setups that foldout. It appears from the comments above that there are some limitations but I like the idea that if something crazy happens (vehicle breakdown, bush pilot pickup delayed, serious injury, etc..) it is a viable option to maintain your connection for help or home.

OP
R

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
There's aerial imagery on the paired phone and the online app. Not sure if there is a way to get it on the device itself.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are you putting your phone in airplane mode when you are out of service? That in and of itself helps with battery life.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
Yea I would be doing that. My bear hunt last year, I didnt because i got signal and it really killed the battery.