Garmin inreach explorer or older deloreme?

If the new explorer plus GPS isn't all that great why does everyone pay about $200 more over the older deloreme what am i missing? I was just about to buy the explorer REI ($379) or do i get the older version at Cabelas For $199 this is going to be used mostly for wife's peace of mind!

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
If the new explorer plus GPS isn't all that great why does everyone pay about $200 more over the older deloreme what am i missing? I was just about to buy the explorer REI ($379) or do i get the older version at Cabelas For $199 this is going to be used mostly for wife's peace of mind!

I could not justify spending $150 more for the garmin in reach or the new mini coming out next month. With the app and just to use for texting and sos I bought the $199 at cabelas last week with some gift cards from that eBay site. I have a stand-alone gps and phone to use with on x maps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickID

FNG
I could not justify spending $150 more for the garmin in reach or the new mini coming out next month. With the app and just to use for texting and sos I bought the $199 at cabelas last week with some gift cards from that eBay site. I have a stand-alone gps and phone to use with on x maps as well.

Just did the same. Bought the Cabela’s deal for the DeLorme and will pair with onX app on my phone.

skierhs

WKR
The big thing is the maps on the gps itself. On the older version the gps only had a grid while the phone held the maps and connected via bluetooth. I am thinking about upgrading from the older inreach to the newer garmin model that has the maps themselves on the screen. I have had some issues with staying connected with the bluetooth connection. Other then that they apear to be essentially the same unit except for the device itself which i like more.

muddydogs

WKR
I was always planning on picking up the new Explorer + to have a backup GPS to my phone but I just couldn't pass up Cabela's price on the older Explorer so I grabbed one. Figure I'll put the safety plan on my old SE to loan out to hunting buddies and have my grandkids carry when there out on the ATV's and set the Explorer up for me. Just can't see spending $450 on the Explorer +. I do keep my last cell phone in the camper or truck with the Earthmate app loaded so if I have a cell phone problem I can remove the SD card from my current phone and put it in the old phone for GPS. Not sure what I'm going to do when it's time to replace my current phone if I can't find a phone that takes SD cards or has a headphone jack for my wind meter.

MTSabo

WKR
I had the Delorme version and then upgraded. Not only does it have topo maps preloaded but the battery is leaps and bounds better then the old model. For me it was a no brainer when I needed a new GPS anyway. With both units in one it saves weight and is cheaper then buying both a GPS and inreach separately.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I had a good garmin gps. I then needed an inreach. I didn't see the benefit of the garmin inreach, over the delorme. I bought the delorme and carry both garmin gps and delorme inreach. Maybe when the gamin allows one upload satellite imagery on their inreach, and sell the unit at a reasonable price, I will think about switching, to just one unit. Maybe this already exists?, but didn't last time i researched it.