Please Welcome onX, and help us review the Hunt App

kjack_74

FNG
Fatcamp, the fire data is located under the national layers part of the app. The polygons aren't 100% for edges of the burn just what the agencies upload as rough data so some on the ground looking will be needed for islands or stringers of unburned cover in the fires interior and some fingers on the edge. Enjoy the app is an awesome e-scouting tool when coupled with some other stuff and a great in the field tool as well.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
I’m using currently and love it.. Last year was a huuuge part in helping me kill a PL bull in Northern NM. Helped in following ways:

- Private Checker Board: Kept me out of trouble. 2 nights I watched herd cross public private. I was able to watch that herd and make a move once I new exactly what they were doing

- Road Systems: BIg help identifying and marking systems that I could potentially use or hike to in a pinch. After killing my bull, took me 3 hours to find him and he only went about 100 yards. I was grinding up and down some steep, thick stuff with a ton of dead fall. By the time I found the bull it was 90 degrees and I was out of water. At that point the real work began... Luckily with the Onx I was able to find an old logging road about a half mile way that I could pack the quarters to and access with an ATV (Super helpful).

Already using in a big way to plan my upcoming hunts. Using locally in CA and will be using for an NV early mule deer archery hunt and NM early archery elk hunt. Ability to save on phone w/o service is awesome... Anyway, though I would share. Great product for me and really helps with planning process as well as in the field.

Best

Pony

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK guys, thanks for the entries/questions/feedback. I put together a list of finalists and PM'd them with a few questions. Please check those.

I'll be locking the thread until I choose our reviewer. PM me if a specific question on this thread while it's locked.

Thanks again, I really like having you guys in on these reviews.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I spent a bunch of time reading through these and sending PMs. Tough choice! But we're going to go with doverpack12.

He's a long-time member, had the app before, expired now, but can give us feedback on any updates, improvements or not, plus he's an onX chip user too, so we can glean some feedback from that side of the technology.

Watch for a feedback thread to go up in the next weeks where you can follow along on his and some of the Rokstaff's experiences with onX. I'll try and remember to link it in this thread for those of you who've subscribed.

doverpack12, fire me an email at [email protected] and I'll get you linked up with onX app renewal and an updated chip if needed.

Thank you everyone for throwing in on this. I'm always impressed by the pool of knowledge and your willingness to share on here.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use the chip. On the fence about the the app.

I've used the chip for years, love it. Switched to the smart phone app and haven't looked back. Still carry handheld as backup, but once you switch to the app you will understand why.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've used the chip for years, love it. Switched to the smart phone app and haven't looked back. Still carry handheld as backup, but once you switch to the app you will understand why.

Looking forward to your review Les.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I too have been using the app since it nearly came out and have been along for many of the growing pains. I have used both the chip and app and since using the app I rarely go back to the chip unless I am in remote areas and want it for security! There are far more uses for the app other than just hunting too. I even used in overseas on my deployment to travel and it worked good! I use it at work to search out property boundaries and landowners as well. Very valuable tool to say the least! It has came a long way and it continues to get better! The way you can now scout for future hunts with this app/chip is amazing! So much right at your fingertips!

RCL

WKR
Just got the app this month and couldn't be more pleased.
I particularly like the landowner info.

11boo

WKR
I really like the chip in my Garmin, but the app works as advertised randomly. About 50% of the time using my IPhone 6 when out of cell coverage. Yes I have all the base maps on my phone, I try it in airplane and regular mode, same results.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the chip in my Garmin, but the app works as advertised randomly. About 50% of the time using my IPhone 6 when out of cell coverage. Yes I have all the base maps on my phone, I try it in airplane and regular mode, same results.

I’ve got the iiPhone 6s and have four maps downloaded and they’ve all work great in airplane mode. I just hit the off grid button and they work for everything thing I’ve needed: tracks, waypoints, speed, distance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I started using this app 4-5 years ago when I exclusively hunted waterfowl. I used it to track down landowners for permission to hunt.

I drew an Idaho Bull Moose tag. Will also have an elk, wolf, and deer tag in my pocket. Going in September for 14 days. I will make a return trip in October if I don't find what I'm looking for the 1st time. Already have the unit/zone downloaded.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
I’ve got the iiPhone 6s and have four maps downloaded and they’ve all work great in airplane mode. I just hit the off grid button and they work for everything thing I’ve needed: tracks, waypoints, speed, distance

Deleted

11boo

WKR
I just started my own thread on my issue. I’ll be off grid soon and try it again. It’s a great map, and even when it’s not showing my position I still use it. Probably operator error:cool:

I would like to download maps on sd card I have in my phone, is this a option? Thanks Roy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RCL

WKR
I have the chip and the app.
Works really well for me and their customer service is excellent plus.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
One other thing I’ve found I really like is now I always have a “gps” on me (my phone) and not have to carry two devices. To be able to drop my pack or boots for a stalk and not have to worry about finding them is a benefit I didn’t realize till I got the app.

I was less than 20 feet from my pack and couldn’t see it. Pulled up the app, and couldn’t believe I was almost standing it

cd9056d95947a4de9c699e94d26f5c95.png

Prior to onX, I only really had a gps on me if I was in a brand new area.