Please Welcome onX, and help us review the Hunt App

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hey Roksliders,
please welcome onX on board. They are sponsoring this Mapping forum. Solid company with good customer service.

A bunch of us staff members will be running onX this year and posting on our experiences. I'll also choose one member to help out to get as many opinions as possible. Watch for feedback from Les Welch, Glendon Mullins, Tony Trietch, Brock Akers and myself

Some of you guys are way ahead of me on this, but I just got my first onX app this spring. Used it on several trips from Boise to Wyoming border and it's been good. Still a learning curve but from what' I've experienced, I can see how soon it'll be pretty hard to hunt any new areas without onX, especially if private is an issue.

I've worked with onX to also equip one Rokslide member with the Elite Version (all 50 states plus applicable layers). I need someone who's got at least several hunts coming up and will be hunting some new country preferably with some boundary issues like private or Forest Service/State/BLM-- just a good test bed to run the product.

This isn't just a giveaway but a chance to help us review the product, so serious entries only please. If you take the product and don't post, you'll become the laughing stock of Rokslide (anyone remember Proslayer? hahahaha, what a phony) and get a bill, plus Aron Snyder runs our collection department, so you'll get to meet him too. Seriously, just post if you are chosen to help.

To enter, just post up in a few words where/when/what you'll be hunting and why you'd be a good pick for the review. Don't write me a book here, just some of your ideas. I'll draw a winner before June 30.

We'll start another thread soon once everyone is ready to post feedback, so watch for that.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Please Welcome onX Maps, and help us review the Hunt App

I have OnX the Ap version for smartphone and basically only use it for BLM mapping. After the first major “upgrade”of the Ap its been very unreliable for navigation for me. Not sure if its something I’m doing or the Ap itself but I’m glad to see them on board and willing to hear suggestions. Welcome to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
I have a combo mule deer and elk hunt in Montana this year along with deer, antelope here in South Dakota. This could really help get more to some new areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Please Welcome onX Maps, and help us review the Hunt App

I have OnX the Ap version for smartphone and basically only use it for BLM mapping. After the first major “upgrade”of the Ap its been very unreliable for navigation for me. Not sure if its something I’m doing or the Ap itself but I’m glad to see them on board and willing to hear suggestions. Welcome to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No problem posting your experience but let’s move this post over to its own thread so I can get you some help from onX without plugging this one up with replies. Start a thread in this mapping forum title “onX upgrade problems” and I’ll follow up there.

I have a 3rd rifle mule deer tag for a unit I haven't hunted before. It is a mix of national forest and private. Also have a late season pronghorn tag for a unit that is mostly private with some STL and BLM.

I have the OnX app Elite membership and just got one more year at the MeatEater podcast.

General deer/elk, deer b tag, bear tag and I pick up a wolf tag for some late season hunting all in Montana. OnX has helped a bunch with both scouting and hunting using the layers it offers. I run the app on my phone as well as the GPS chip year round.

I don't have specific hunts but I hunt all fall 30-40 days September through November and then predator hunt December-February although not as many days. I do have one spot I go where I have to walk 4 miles in and then stay inside a section (shot a cow the last day there last November). I use my GPS with OnX mapping chip for this. I have another area I want to get into this year and actually this summer too as I saw 13 bulls there right when they should have been dropping, problem is its all private below and a weird mix of private to navigate above combined with some good size canyons. I tried the phone app the first few years it was available and it routinely froze and would not function. I would be happy to see if the app works better now and provides the accuracy and reliability I know I can expect from my GPS with the chip. Most of the predator hunting I do is on a large private ranch with bordering ranches I need to stay off of so I have been using my GPS but this could be another good test location.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using OnX chips in my GPS since before they called themselves OnX.......since 2010 I think. I don't use a smart phone so the chips are the only way to go for me and I've really liked them. Colorado is a little spotty on landowner info, but the MT chip had everything.

I have been using onX for 4 years now, and thru my phone, it is the tool I use most often. I have a Garmin hand held GPS and still my phone seems to just be the one I grab most often. It's natural, and having onX on it just works.
My yearly hunts are Az, Utah and Idaho. Elk, Deer. Az tagged out already so setting my sights on Id bull, and Ut Spike and Cow.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Big fan of On-x. I purchased the Elite a few months ago. Like 5 mile, been using it since before it was On-x with a GPS chip. I now use my phone mostly but it has helped me a ton. I used it all last season for upland bird hunting near farms. LOTS of area that a farmer says is "his" when in fact it was perfectly legal for me to hunt my GSP through it. I also used it for a pig hunt in CA this spring, I just downloaded a map of the area we are doing a 25 miles training hike in this weekend, and I have been using it for a few new spots im checking out in Idaho. I really like the desktop version when I am at home, I set Google Earth on one screen and open On-x on the other. On-x helps with roads while GE helps with terrain. Cant say enough good things about them.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Big fan of On-x....I used it all last season for upland bird hunting near farms. LOTS of area that a farmer says is "his" when in fact it was perfectly legal for me to hunt my GSP through it.
That’s worth the price of admission right there. Lyin’ ass farmer anyway.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also forgot to add how awesome the "Share Waypoint" button is. My hunting partner and I constantly are sending waypoints for drainage's and hillsides to look at.

I have been using onX for 4 years now, and thru my phone, it is the tool I use most often. I have a Garmin hand held GPS and still my phone seems to just be the one I grab most often. It's natural, and having onX on it just works.
My yearly hunts are Az, Utah and Idaho. Elk, Deer. Az tagged out already so setting my sights on Id bull, and Ut Spike and Cow.
Needed to edit
I already have the elite version
Maybe I shouldn't have responded

I would still review no problem, but don't need and product, been running it for a while now

When multiple states ate hunted its a must
Land owners are changing quickly
Leased lands are selling, or changing names too

It gets tough keeping up
onX helps With some of that

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I been using the app for 2 years. It's been great and very accurate. I always down load my area before leaving WiFi. Having them pre loaded is critical imo. Only twice have I had to restart my phone to fix a glitch with the app.

My only wish is to be able to down load a unit, not several squares. 3D images would be a really cool addition as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
We're excited to partner with Rokslide and look forward to all your feedback. We have worked hard to get the app to where it is at by adding all the features and information you need and more importantly; ensuring the app will run smooth whether you're deep in the backcountry, marking locations on your property, or just scouting from home. As @robby denning said, please don't hesitate to start a new thread with any questions or send us a direct message; you can also get a hold of our customer support team at 406-540-1600 or email [email protected]. Our typical office hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Mountain time, Monday-Friday.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I'll be using the APP and plan on buying a chip as well for my Eastern Montana Mule Deer trip this fall. So far the most useful thing I have found is being able to "scout" some locations and property boundaries ahead of time (being that I am from the east (Virginia) and can't afford nor have the time to do a scouting trip before hand, all the way to Montana.

I have found it really helpful zooming in to see if a particular section of Public Land Borders roads or not, what I am looking for is some BLM or forest service land that is a couple mile walk from an access point that is otherwise not bordering a road anywhere. Thanks to Onx, I have found a couple spots like that already in the area, I am looking at going.

To me it is pretty user friendly, I have only used Onx once before, I managed to win a free trial version of it a couple years ago. I can't say I used it much when actually hunting at that time, but it was neat to scout out locations and access points I previously didn't know about or that wasn't marked clearly.

So far the app gets a thumbs up for me, I look forward to letting you all know how much it helps and eastern, first time western hunter on my trip this fall!

CatfishKev

Lil-Rokslider
Got onx last year. Been pretty great. Hopefully it will have some more goodies coming out in the new versions like point to waypoints and remove some more layers to see better in wilderness areas.

tam9492

WKR
Love the app. I'll be hunting whitetails on multiple State Gamelands, State Forests, State Parks and other pieces boardered or intermixed with privately owned ground. Will also be picking up some new pieces of small private ground, as well as hunting some new out-of-state public. Really rely on the app to make sure I'm hunting where I'm allowed to.

Fatcamp

WKR
Took the leap and bought the app on Father's Day.

Haven't had time to look over it too thoroughly. Couldn't find fire data for SD. Need to look more.