Ditch the GPS?

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
For those that have ditched their gps and went to a nap Software like ONX how are you liking it? I am considering ditching my Garmin rino and going with onX or similar and maybe a inreach. Now I know inreach uses their own mapping software, for those that have used it does it seem good? Does it have multiple layer options, and does it have sattelite imaging? Does the inreach require a service to send/receive messages? I got the rino for party hunts but I’ve only used it twice for that but in the couple of years I have owned it.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't completely ditch my GPS- it still sits in my backpack as a backup in case something happened to my phone. I didn't take it out once last season though. I much prefer my phone and OnX maps for the satellite imagery and other custom layers that come with it like historical fires, etc.

muddydogs

WKR
I ditched the GPS and use the Earthmate app that comes with the InReach for all my mapping needs. Yes you have to have a subscription to use the inreach message service. The earthmate app that comes with the inreach has most map layers, for another $40 a year you can get land owner names and GMU boundaries. For what I do ONX has nothing over Earthmate except price.

Trial153

WKR
I ditch the GPS a few years back. Havent missed it.
I use gaia on my phone along with OnX, earthmate is my back up. I can use it on my phone or inreach.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
This dinosaur still uses paper maps and has a dedicated eTrex 30 for backup. Not interested in using my cell phone for navigation.

I print out custom maps before I leave home, mark them with magnetic north lines, and study the maps for terrain features. That way I know what to expect before I ever set foot in the desired area.

A long time ago, the lead guy in our SAR unit was a real student of wilderness navigation and would spend untold time studying maps and developing 3D images in his mind. When he went into an area, you would think he'd hiked that area all of his life.

No doubt the same pre-hunt study can be done and then use integrated software in the field that contains public vs private land info, etc. In my case, old habits die hard.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
possibly. I just started using onX this spring and I can see how my GPS might not get taken out of my pack in a season. Still on the fence though on going completely phone....

JohnnyB

WKR
I used both the OnX app and my Garmin 64st last year. Had a few glitches with OnX and my phone. New phone this year , new inReach Mini no glitches so far but it’s early. Hope to be leaving the 64 at home if all goes well the next few weeks. I still carry map and compass and I doubt I’ll change that ever.

xziang

WKR
I still like and use my Garmin GPS. For me I am always curious as to how far I've hiked along with the elevation changes along with my 'tracks' for I find it much easier to use. I also have the InReach device paired with my phone and I will use that occasionally. I'll turn my phone on when I take a break to get a view of the terrain and or how far a meadow I'm targeting is from me.

I am not sure how much and or how big of a territory that I am able to download satellite imagery for with the InReach though. In all seriousness I could get rid of the GPS however I have one of the older ones so battery life is great and find it hard to ditch the security blanket.

11boo

WKR
I would love to be able to trust my OnX app, but it only works about 50% of the time. Pretty cool when it works though.

mproberts

WKR
I just got back from a 7 day hike in NF/NPS land, never had a hint of cell service an the onX app with saved maps worked flawlessly. I was able to download their highest quality imagery for the entire 85+ mile trip, while only taking up like 2gbs of space on my phone. I set my iPhone on airplane mode and used it constantly for mapping, pictures, notes, light, games, etc... and it still took about 4 days before it was low on battery. It's just hard to beat that setup IMO especially when counting weight, I get way more out of having my phone with me than just a GPS.

I just got back from a 7 day hike in NF/NPS land, never had a hint of cell service an the onX app with saved maps worked flawlessly. I was able to download their highest quality imagery for the entire 85+ mile trip, while only taking up like 2gbs of space on my phone.

Are you able to download layers for a trip and remove them when you don't need them for awhile and re-download them later if you're worried about memory on your phone?

Pro953

WKR
Are you able to download layers for a trip and remove them when you don't need them for awhile and re-download them later if you're worried about memory on your phone?

I do that all the time. Not generally for phone space but sometimes I download layers when I am camping or backpacking. Just delete the map. If you want a map in the same area just download again. The tracks and waypoints are separate so you can keep those from the trip even if you need the space from the maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mproberts

WKR

Already answered but absolutely. It took me maybe 5-10 mins to download all those maps for that hike, maybe a min to delete them. I just downloaded like 25gbs of maps for an Alaskan caribou hunt I leave for this week. I was able to capture all of unit 26 in low quality imagery and then probably like a quarter of unit 26B in medium or high quality imagery, which is where we will be mainly hunting. It was still like 2million acres of med/high quality imagery. That includes points of interest, topo and satellite imagery. The medium quality satellite imagery is more than enough to tell where you are, yeah you might not be able to see something the size of a person or animal in the imagery but it's still more than enough. The low quality imagery is more like okay that's a road and then a river and this is a gravel bar on the river, but you can't easily make out individual trees. I could post examples later if it helps, but honestly mapping that much area is definitely not the norm with most hunts.

KHNC

WKR
I use ONx and the Topo Maps app i purchased a few years ago. It is awesome for finding trails and showing location too. the combo is awesome on my phone in AP mode.

For all you guys that use the phone app, do y’all use the desktop version with it or strictly phone app?

Do y’all like the phone app because it’s close to the same as the desktop with all the features of layers and what not?

For those of you who have used the onx chip in your gps, was there any drawbacks or cons that you were disappointed in or wish it would have had?

Shrek

WKR
I keep my gps with onx and my phone with onx. I have found my phone off by miles at times but my Garmin has always been spot on. I have an IPhone 7.

Fatcamp

WKR
If you have the app can you download maps to your GPS from your computer?

My state has an app, but no chip.

Have Wyoming chip in a Garmin 64S, and SD app on my phone. Both work well, but I really wish I could get SD maps from OnX on my GPS.

I have the Backcountry app on my phone, the free version. I have played with it a bit. I still like my Garmin with the Huntview chip. Gives me imagery for the whole state and boundaries, trails, etc.

I ditched my GPS a few years ago and use my phone. I have avenza and a topo app that I use. I’ve been hunting the same area for the past few years and I’m lucky enough to also work in the same area I frequently hunt so I’m fairly acquainted with it. I take a map and compass with me and use them quite a bit.

If I were hunting an unfamiliar area I’d probably take a gps.