What should I look for in a bag?

OHtard

FNG
I have done a ton of searching, and am doubting my google skills at the moment. I am looking for a bag purely for train to hunt, and training for it. I live in Ohio, and don't have any plans on hunting out west, or really needing a bag that I would use for that. I found Train to hunt randomly on youtube, and love 3d archery, trail running, and rucking. It seems like a mix of most of my favorite things. I currently have a GoRuck GR1, that I throw a #30 plate in, not really sure how it would do with a #100 in it. I don't mind having to spend some coin for a great product, but not sure I need a full blown mountain pack.

RyanC

WKR
Look for a pack with a really good frame. The bag itself isn't all that important as a lot of people just run an external frame and strap the sandbag to it for the meatpack event. I would also say that when competing in the challenge course (the run & shoot with exercise stations) it helps to have a pack with a good suspension and waist-belt system. I see people all the time run that event with a small pack and no waist belt get hit in the back of the head while doing burpees or the pack just bouncing against their lower back when running, not comfortable.

The most popular pack company in Train to Hunt is Kifaru. They have made a pack specifically for the TTH Challenge called the Apollo, so you can check that one out. You will spend some coin on a good pack but even if you're not planning on coming out west for a hunt, a well built,comfortable pack will increase your ability to not only compete in these type of events but train for them as well.

A couple other companies I would take a look at are Exo Mountain Gear and Mystery Ranch. Both great companies making solid packs that you will see at TTH Challenge competitions. Good luck on your search and let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Ryan

OP
O

OHtard

FNG
Thank you of the info. I ended up searching through the classifieds, and picked up a Kuiu frame to start with. I figured it will get me going for now. I will check out the apollo bag.
After watching all of the youtube videos on the tth channel I feel like i have a pretty good handle on the physical portion of the event. I am pretty stoked to start incorperateing my shooting into my work outs.

praharin

FNG
Haven't done one yet. Last time I checked some of the stations aren't traditional equipment friendly.

That said, I'd do it with an HPG Ute or Qui-ya pack with one of their compression pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O

OHtard

FNG
thought about taking the trad bow, but my max is 40 with it. I can keep them in most 3d animals at that range, but would need to shoot a lot more than I have time to to get the required range for tth. thinking the compound will be my go to. I like them both equally, so no worries there.

OP
O

OHtard

FNG
I have an eberlestock bag for my long range rifle, that i have used in some matches. it does not have a frame, and can't imagine dropping 100lbs in it. with my rifle, bags, ammo, and rest of my gear it is probably getting close to 60lbs. Thats about enough in that bag for me. Thank you for the suggestion though.