Best place to buy dumbbells?

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a set (10-50) of dumbbells for our garage gym. I have been watching Facebook anD Craigslist for a deal, just haven't found one yet. Anybody know of a reasonable place to pick up a set?

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
Have you checked out Slickdeals? They usually have some pretty good deals on equipment posted.

Bulldawg

WKR
You can get free shipping on amazon for dumbells sometimes and that cuts the price significantly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried a " wanted to buy" listing on the sites mentioned? Maybe will rattle someones cage!

Trr15

WKR
Not sure what price range you're looking at but Powerblocks are worth a look. Big time space savers compared to traditional dumbells and they work really well. I've had the 90# set for over a year and have no complaints.

Whatever your local classifieds are will be best. Right about now for the next month lots of New Years resolutions will be sold for cheap.

BigDog00

WKR
CRAIGSLIST!!!! Its very dependent on your area but you can find great deals on workout equipment. If you can wait another month or two a lot of people will be getting rid of stuff they bought for "new years resolutions". You should be able to barter down to $0.50-0.75 per pound...if not a little better.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
costco in everett wa has some dumbbell sets in stock right now. not sure what weight they go up to though

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
Craigslist is your friend. I have gotten hundreds of pounds of plates, and several Olympic bars for free by watching craigslist. I also found stall mats to cover my garage floor for a very good price. I probably have around 500 into my gym, and it's pretty set up.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

When I was building up a set, I was pricing them at $1 a pound retail. Craigslist was about $0.50 a pound or less. Best deal I found was a lot for a small personal training facility that was shutting down. It was about $4k worth of iron for $1k. It had way too much so the ole lady nixed me.

If it is some light use consider a set of bowflex selectables. I went with a used set of these and a few select solid hexes in key weights. Saved space and money.

SWOHTR

WKR
I'm in the market for some dumbbells too.

Look at craigslist.

Second, you should be able to get a "standard" dumbbell set (1in bar and holes instead of the Olympic 2in) for cheap. You can go from probably 5-50+ lb per handle that way and save space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been looking for a good deal on some hex dumbbells for quite some time. I'm not paying $1/pound for iron, no matter what shape it comes in. In the meantime I use my regular add-on weight dumbbells, but much prefer the hex weights.

OP
W

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I had a set bought ( I thought) on craigslist. 5-50 rubber coated for $300. He sold them before I got to meet up.
The old lady uses our set up too, she wants the set, that way she can do drop sets with out having to change plates.
So far we have stall mats (12x10 area in garage) a Rogue Monster lite wall mount that folds up, a ironmaster superbench (with a couple attachments) and I picked up a 300lb olympic setup at dicks for $189. Fitness gear i believe. Bar looks a little cheap, but I can deal with it until I am man enough to bend it.
I should have jumped on the set I found quicker. There is a guy that has a set for sale right now 5-50 local for $500, but I was hoping to do a little better.

Last edited:

SWOHTR

WKR
I would recommend upgrading the barbell first...numerous reasons, but the biggest reason is safety: the bar can easily fall apart, especially if you start moving it beyond a slow and shallow bench-press plane of movement. I have seen this happen - the sleeves fall off because the retaining pins fall out. Bad news. Look for something with a snap ring to retain the sleeves (Rogue is a great place to start, I have their "Rogue Bar" and it's great).

For your dumbbells, the cheapest and most universal option is standard-plate adjustable dumbbells as found here:
Access Denied

These do not take up a lot of room and buying additional weight is easy.

-Joe