Backpack training - how much weight?

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Any issues with goruck plates wearing out nylon. Back in the day I put two 25# plates in the radio pocket of an Alice pack. They rubbed and burned through the nylon where they contacted the frame.

Nope. And without checking, I'm over 1500 logged miles with that GR1 since mid/late 2014.
I haven't had to send anything back but they'll fix them for free if you ever do.

Edit: For training, the "Rucker" will do everything you need and saves weight and cost. They don't look horrible or tooooo tactical or too mountain man either. Nice to train without having to wear a big ass stone glacier filled with hunting gear around town. :)
My dad wears his walking around Evanston, IL almost every day with 30 lbs. :cool:

Edit 2.0: http://www.goruck.com/rucker-black-w-black-/p/GEAR-000873

I'll have to admit, I'm pretty lucky to live in the same place I hunt so when I go out to scout or shoot or whatever in the woods, I can pack like I'm actually hunting.

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
I'll have to admit, I'm pretty lucky to live in the same place I hunt so when I go out to scout or shoot or whatever in the woods, I can pack like I'm actually hunting.

I'm pretty close to the mountains during the work week when I do most of my training (everyone in Anchorage is), but they're filled with more "REI" types than Rokslide types. Also, after a days work it's often easier to hit some of the trails 100 yards from my place.
Anchorage is a crappy city in most respects, but there are a LOT of trails for biking, skiing, rucking, etc...

Paved bike trails/multi-use trails 120+ miles/195 kms
Plowed winter walkways 130 miles/216 kms
Maintained ski trails 105 miles/175+ kms
Dog mushing trails 36 miles/60 kms
Summer non-paved hiking trails 87 miles/145+ kms
Lighted ski trails 24 miles/40 kms
Ski-joring trails 66 kms
Equestrian trails 10 kms

I carry everything I would normally hunt with except the sleeping bag. Don't want it depreciated for fluffiness.
I like to hear how everything will sound- don't want a loud load.
I'm switching out to my 6l bladder for my next hike- adds another 7 lbs or so.

I am just trying to get my heart rate up and sustained... once June rolls around I will be in the mountain with actual hiking checking cameras, beds and water holes.

Thats my heavy training load in the hills....sometimes I go even lighter.

I used to pack 80# around to train....and I now think its a bad idea. I'm a pretty big guy and have packed many heavy loads over the years...but i've come to realize it has a cumulative effect on your ankles,knees, hips and back.

I feel like I get the same effective training with 40#....and its less wear and tear. Shattered my ankle while training with an 80# pack back about 8 yrs ago...PITA coming off the mtn with my foot just dangling....The next year I pack meat loads just fine with the lighter regimen......I only pack the heavy loads when i need to now.

I'm starting to believe this is wise advice.

OP
Desk Jockey
I'm starting to believe this is wise advice.

I would concur. After a few years of hauling big loads in the army I definitely put some wear and tear on the chassis.

I started training this month with about 60#. I think it is a little heavy for me for now at least. I am thinking about 40-50 pounds as a good training weight. I can play with it.

Another believer in the lighter training. I switched to alternating between light (#35) and heavy (55#) days last year. I felt better/stronger on the mountain than I have in a long time. The only time went "pack-out" heavy was on 3 training hikes, in August, with 85# to make sure I didn't have any issues with my pack or my joints.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mdog

FNG
Another lighter-is-better believer. 40# with a Duplex frame while hiking nearby single track and shooting at King's Mtn archery range. Both as steep as the mountains in Wyo, ID and Montana.....just a LOT more oxygen! Even packing an elk out I'll rarely go over 60-70#. Rather an extra trip rather than an injury as I hunt solo.

Another lighter-is-better believer. 40# with a Duplex frame while hiking nearby single track and shooting at King's Mtn archery range. Both as steep as the mountains in Wyo, ID and Montana.....just a LOT more oxygen! Even packing an elk out I'll rarely go over 60-70#. Rather an extra trip rather than an injury as I hunt solo.

This is my thought process as well.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
I typically find myself only training with packs on hill climbs, so the amount of weight would probably different if I was on flat terrain. I pack 38-45 lbs for a 2000 ft elevation 1.5 miles hike close to the house. I've used weights in the past, but I prefer to use jugs of water so that I can dump out some of the water on top to save wear and tear on my knees.
That's a great idea! Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys use the hunting pack or have a different pack for training? What is a good training pack per say?

What do you use for your backpack cardio / training?
I always carry a few things in my pack, like rain gear, spotter/tripod, snack food, and a few other things, then I'll carry 5 or 6 gallon's of water for wt. The reason for using water instead of something else is I like to do the real training going up the mountain then dump all the water wt. for the hike down. My main concern is protecting my knees and although I'm not really working some muscles for the trek down, I'm also less likely to sustain a knee injury or any issues with my knees for that matter.

Phaseolus

WKR
I use pinto beans for weight, for some reason I have tons of them laying around.

Gorp2007

WKR
I load up my backpack with everything my 3 year-old will want on a hike, plus extra water, snacks, and hot cocoa to keep her excited about the prospect and then head out. About half way through she'll be tired, so I get to add another 36 pounds to my shoulders and walk her out. I don't know if it's effective, but it certainly gets me tired.

BishopB7

FNG
60 lbs kettle bell over shoulder on the stair master on days that I'm in the gym. Depending on fitness level, adjust your time per 100 flights of stairs. A good goal is 100 flights in 20 minutes. Outside, find a nasty hillside or mountainside and throw on your weighted pack and go for it. Practice on not stopping until you hit the top. Ill usually have a 10 lbs weight in one of my hands to simulate carrying my bow. Going up ill get to certain points and practice holding the 10 lbs weight as steady as I can for about a minute simulating a bow shot with heart rate way up. Always train harder than what is expected from your hunt. Remember that the more you hurt the more progress you'll make.

elkguide

WKR
Some great thoughts and I do push myself to stay in shape for those western "hills" BUT I'm from the school of

"No pain = NO PAIN!"

While I push my limits, I know my limits and when I start to hurt I take a breath.
I find that actual hiking is way better than the gym for me. Yes, when the weather is over the top, I will spend an hour or so on my bicycle trainer but if there is any possibility, I'm outside. I load my pack with 5 - 10 pounds more than I plan to carry and carry some weight in my hands to replicate my weapon.

BishopB7

FNG
Always leave room in your pack for a 6er of your favorite frosty beverage when you get to the top!!! Beer is definitely vital to any training regiment!:D