Backpack training - how much weight?

I used 50# worth of water and lead scuba weights before last season in my MR Metcalf. These were mostly mild walks with the wife of 2.5 to 3-miles. It's nice to have a durable pack that you train with and use in the field.
I also carry a 15# dumbbell to simulate carrying a rifle.

Ruskin

WKR
I grabbed the 2.5 gallon jugs of water. Stack'm for scaling weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I go to my neighbor's house and borrow a couple 40 lb bags of wood pellets for a pellet stove. It's a nice bulk to weight ratio, and I don't worry about getting a bit of wood dust in my pack by accident.

Last edited:

LBES

FNG
I typically find myself only training with packs on hill climbs, so the amount of weight would probably different if I was on flat terrain. I pack 38-45 lbs for a 2000 ft elevation 1.5 miles hike close to the house. I've used weights in the past, but I prefer to use jugs of water so that I can dump out some of the water on top to save wear and tear on my knees.

I'll typically carry the same on training or actual hunts using the gear I'm taking for both. This allows me to check how I'm packing and get a feel for the volume that taken up in the bag. I don't carry sand in the back country so I'm not going to train with it.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I go 25 - 80 lbs. When I'm doing really steep hills (800 ft of gain per mile or higher) the max I did last year was 40 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Desk Jockey
I'll typically carry the same on training or actual hunts using the gear I'm taking for both. This allows me to check how I'm packing and get a feel for the volume that taken up in the bag. I don't carry sand in the back country so I'm not going to train with it.

Interesting idea. 1000 years ago when I was in the army I was training for a program that required a minimum ruck weight. Me and my peers in the wannabe program all started with sand bags but eventually branched out to add many more practical items, I loaded with a ton of comfy gear and a bunch of misc tools to make weight. I remember one instance where we needed to open a pad lock to liberate a vehicle and someone said, I guess nobody has a set of bolt cutters. Well as a matter of fact...I did. A few months later someone was looking for a socket set and well...it was a bit like being captain cave man.

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a sucker for goruck plates when training now. I carried sand, water, salt and all sorts of crap around for years.
A goruck GR1 and a 45 pound plate right up against your back makes for damn fine walk. It also doesn't slosh...
(for those not familiar, their bags have a divider inside the main compartment right against the back sized for laptops, ruck plates, or hydration)
When I would do nightly trips up Near Point (on the edge of Anchorage), I'd carry water uphill and dump it out for the trip down.
Not 100% realistic training, but seemed easier on the knees.

OHtard

FNG
I use the GoRuck plates as well. I have a #20, and a #30 between the frame, and my bag. works great, plus I can still put jackets, and water in th pack easy.

I'm a sucker for goruck plates when training now. I carried sand, water, salt and all sorts of crap around for years.
A goruck GR1 and a 45 pound plate right up against your back makes for damn fine walk. It also doesn't slosh...
(for those not familiar, their bags have a divider inside the main compartment right against the back sized for laptops, ruck plates, or hydration)
When I would do nightly trips up Near Point (on the edge of Anchorage), I'd carry water uphill and dump it out for the trip down.

I typically find myself only training with packs on hill climbs, so the amount of weight would probably different if I was on flat terrain. I pack 38-45 lbs for a 2000 ft elevation 1.5 miles hike close to the house. I've used weights in the past, but I prefer to use jugs of water so that I can dump out some of the water on top to save wear and tear on my knees.

Same. Nice to be able to drop the water. Just got to make sure the jugs are 100% full. Very annoying to have sloshing.

I use a couple bags sent to my by David at Native Textiles (ntcolorado.com). They fit perfectly inside my 22 Mag. I have one filled with wood pellets and the other filled with pea gravel. The pea gravel one in my pack including pack weight is 50lb. The wood pellet one pack included is about 35lb.

Tsnider

WKR
i have limited space so my pack never gets emptied. i carry the pack with everything in it. my sawtooth, stove, so on. i will carry more water than i typically would to make up for the weight of food i dont have packed for day trips

OP
Desk Jockey

Any issues with goruck plates wearing out nylon. Back in the day I put two 25# plates in the radio pocket of an Alice pack. They rubbed and burned through the nylon where they contacted the frame.

Beendare

WKR
40# bag of water softener salt $6 at walmart

Thats my heavy training load in the hills....sometimes I go even lighter.

I used to pack 80# around to train....and I now think its a bad idea. I'm a pretty big guy and have packed many heavy loads over the years...but i've come to realize it has a cumulative effect on your ankles,knees, hips and back.

I feel like I get the same effective training with 40#....and its less wear and tear. Shattered my ankle while training with an 80# pack back about 8 yrs ago...PITA coming off the mtn with my foot just dangling....The next year I pack meat loads just fine with the lighter regimen......I only pack the heavy loads when i need to now.