New runner/jogger/walker shoe advice please

92xj

WKR
I need new shoes.
A year ago was 268, this morning I am 197. I'm 5'10" and 33 years old. I decided a few months ago I needed more cardio so I do twice a day exercises. In the morning at 4:15 I get on the treadmill, set it to 12% incline at 3.7 mph and go for 2 miles, then kick it down to 6% for 2 minutes for a cool down. Head to work, come home, do the dad and husband thing, then head out after the baby goes to bed for a 3 mile as fast but consistent as I can. It's 95% pavement and I run/jog for 75% of the 3 miles. I have never done this type of cardio or exercise before so never had a need to buy the correct shoes, only bought off looks. During the last month I bought I pair of generic New Balance shoes. They have lasted about 125 miles or so and are now slick bottom and have no cushion.
So, what are some recommended running on the street and treadmill shoe for a 200 pound guy? I don't have any hot spots or issues with the new balances but also don't feel like they have any cushion and I know I could have better. I am a firm believer in buying good footwear, like boots, but, since I have never been a runner/walker before this is all new to me. For now I have around a $100 budget.
Thanks.

Brendan

WKR
It really depends on your foot type. High arch? Flat Foot? Under or over pronator?

What I did was go to a higher end running store that knows what they're doing, have them look at my feet, look at me run and my gait and recommend a shoe type off of that. Bought my first pair from them, and once I decided it worked, I bought different versions of that shoe online from there forward. Some stores will even do a video gait analysis.

I am a mostly neutral gait with a flat foot, and use a max support / cushioning type shoe. Asics Gel Nimbus, Brooks Glycerin are two. But - these might not work for your foot the same way they do for me...

For a $100 - you'll need to be looking at prior versions of the shoe and getting a deal on closeout, not the current or latest version.

gumbl3

WKR
I did the running store thing. They had put me in a pair of shoes a size too big that blistered the ever living hell out of my heels. Luckily they had a return policy so when I got a different model and they've been pretty good. For me I like the Asics like mentioned above, and almost every pair of Saucony's I've ever put on fits me like a glove. Seems like their new stuff I tried on is cut a little lower on the heel and I didn't like that.

Do the running store thing. Especially considering you are a bigger guy, getting good shoes for your feet is important to prevent issues like plantar fasciitis.

You should be able to find a very good option for $100. Congratulations on the weight loss, that's quite an achievement!

I also dropped pounds and began running . The run store suggested shoes that were way over my budget. I found the same shoe for half the price on amazon and bought them. They were spot on in their suggestion , im now on my second pair and feet feel great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
Everyone is different with their gait, arch, etc. I found I prefer zero drop shoes that encourage me to land each step on my forefoot rather than my heel. Once I transitioned into a forefoot strike I've moved to a minimalist shoe for the asphalt running you mentioned. If done right your feet/ankle/calf absorbs the shock rather than your knees. I personally like the wide toebox of the vivobarefoot shoes. For a zero drop shoe with some cushion I like Altras. Again, it will depend on your gait, foot type, etc. So go get analyzed at a running store and see what works for you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Thanks guys for the advice. I'll head to a running shoe store this weekend and see what they have to say.

Great work!!!! I don't have any great advice. I run a lot and weigh 190. I'm lucky in that I don't get any of the typical runner ailments even running marathon distances and I wear an assortment of Big 5 sale shoes. Just wanted to say great job.

I have been wearing asics for past 10 years. The nimbus are my favorite but they are for more neutral runners (no pronation). A good home town running store is a great place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanC

WKR
Yeah your best bet is to go to a store that specializes in correctly fitting you to your foot type. I currently wear Pearl Izumi for road running and Altra Lone Peaks for trail running.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
Brooks also are good shoes to look at. I lean towards Brooks and New Balance for running shoes. Sierra trading post normally has Brooks shoes at a good price.

bozeman

WKR
First, excellent progress! Keep it up! Zappos has a tremendous selection after you visit a running store. I have been wearing mizunos for about 2 years now. I got up to over 50 miles a week and they have proven themselves time and again. I now use them in crossfit and they once again have proven themselves. Running in a proper fitted shoe is a game changer so best of luck!

Vids

WKR
Good for you man, keep at it! I've been there, done that, and still working on it. Went from 236 down to 185, now sitting at 208 and working again unfortunately! It's a life-long struggle for me.

Definitely go to a running store and have them watch you run on a treadmill. $100 is a solid budget, once I got dialed into the right shoe(s) I could easily find them online for around $80. One trick I figured out is to find out what shoes you need, then research online and see how cheap you can get them. Let the folks at the running store know how cheap the shoes are online. The last time I was at my local running shop to confirm the $130 shoes I wanted would work for me, I told them I found them online for $80 and they said no problem - we'll sell them to you for $80. Depends on the shop you go to, but it's worth a try.