Mountain Bike

Mace man

FNG
I'd go to THE HUB there in Webster Groves. Nice shop not to big very knowledgeable. They will along with any Quality bike shop put you on a trainer and make sure your fitted properly. You'll want a new seat and bike shorts makes it more comfortable.

I think a lot depends on your budget and what you're planning on doing with it. I started out with a used hard tail 29er and it was great on the nice and smooth single track but once things got a little steeper, faster and looser I upgraded to a full suspension bike that climbs well and is fun and play full on the decent.

If you go used, go with a brand that you'd find at an actual bike shop and not the big box store. If possible, have a buddy that knows what to look for give it a once over with you and understand that there's wearable parts might need swapping out.

This seems like common sense but you know how that saying goes, learn to do some trailside repairs before heading out on the trail.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go to the bike shop and rent a few styles of bikes!
I rode a handful of bikes before landing on a full suspension 29er. A lot depends on terrain and skill level so try before you buy! Most places have a deal where it’s pretty cheap to rent I for a day for that purpose.

brownbear

FNG
When I used to work part-time at a bike shop, I learned to lead off with one honest question. What does your budget allow? Once you have this decided, you can then narrow your decision. I've since suggested to friends and family that $1000 will be a decent starting point. Frames are important, especially being setup on the CORRECT SIZE and is most likely the first thing you notice, but all of the pieces hanging off the frame are what make you ride trouble-free and enjoyable to ride. No one likes skipping derailleurs, boat anchor front shocks, and poorly adjusted brakes. The $1000 mark is really where these components get to be really serviceable, and hold their settings. "Licensed Bike Shops (LBS)" are the place to go. Kid mechanics at big box stores may very well know what they're doing, but it seems that most may not. The LBS can properly fit you, let you ride many varieties, and can tune your ride to ensure it's 100 out the door. That said, not all LBS are the same. Visit a few, talk with the owners and staff and go with your gut. Some even sell used bikes (older models) that can be had at a great deal- you could get a $2k bike for $1k... with perfectly functional (and expensive) parts from a few years ago. Be cautious of buying used bikes from Joe Seller. They could be perfectly fine bikes, but once they sell to you, don't really care if they shift, brake, well after the sale.

In short- go to a LBS, scope out the models, figure what you realistically want to spend (don't forget about your helmet and accessories), test ride a few, pick what you like.

Final thought: don't cheap out on a bike. When (if) you're riding 20+mph down a trail with roots, rocks, and ruts, you'll appreciate the stability and safety of a proper machine, rather than a toy, or disposable "bike like" item

boom

WKR
i am not a gear head with bikes.

i have ONE mountain bike. i just ride it. i dont mod it at all. people start talking bike parts and dropping terms like "BOOST"..my eyes glaze over. i dont get it. i couldnt tell you my head tube diameter to save my life.

having said that...i love to ride. i sorta (right or wrong) think i have a finite number of miles on my knees. i could jog, but it would eat into those miles. so i ride. you find a few hills and grind up..it really red-lines the heart. it has helped me hike/hunt in a profound way.

i was riding a 1999 bike and doing lots of miles and dropping lots of weight. my wife bought me a new bike in 2014. i ride it often. only changed tires and maybe a chain. i did move over my favorite bike saddle.cliff 001.jpg

Phaseolus

WKR
You can probably get a much nicer bike if you one that is used. Many hardcore riders upgrade regularly and sell their high quality bikes for a pittance. Santa Cruz I put Santa Cruz first becauser I currently ride a Santa Cruz CC V2 5010, Specialized, Trek, Giant, Pivot, Transition are very good brands.