Mountain Bike

Bird-man

FNG
I am wanting to start training, and wanted to Mountain Bike on single track and open trails. Any recommendations
on a bike? Looking for something decent but not breaking the bank.

I was in your shoes a couple years ago. I went with a company named airborne. They make a pretty good bike for the price. I went with the goblin. It has nice components and the two years I have been riding it it's a good bike. I also graduated up from an old mongoose bike I had. I would buy another.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
I am wanting to start training, and wanted to Mountain Bike on single track and open trails. Any recommendations
on a bike? Looking for something decent but not breaking the bank.

Might be easier to ask what rifle caliber to get! ;)

Tons of choices and even more opinions. Go to a local bike shop and let them know what you are wanting to do with it and your budget. Kind of like buying boots, just because they fit me doesn't mean they'll work for you.

Good luck. BTW I love my Specalized Stumpjumper Carbon Comp but that's just me.

SWOHTR

WKR
I bought a Trek X-caliber 7 in 2013 - it's been a great (entry level) bike. Hardtail 29er with Shimano components (Sram shift patterns are funky).

I will sell you my Trek Stache 7 2013 model. Road it 3 times. It is like new.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

j-bow

Lil-Rokslider
Salsa Timberjack is a great bang for the buck. 27.5" 3" tires

I'm in the same boat right now. I have 3 bike shops here and in my price range they are the specialized pitch sport, trek marlin 6 and scott. Personally i didn't care for the Scott so it's between the trek and specialized. Both have similar components and warranties and both ride very nice. Once i get the funds completely rounded up it'll be a price point buy only because i really can't tell a difference. If you have some shops around i would get try them out. The main things i wanted were hydraulic disc brakes and 29" wheels for ease of rolling over debris. I was set on a 27.5 but all 3 shops recommended 29" where i am not getting into it for serious mountain biking but for getting fit and hunting off of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OHtard

FNG
I spend a lot of time on a mountain bike(6-15 hours a week depending on training plan). I have been racing them for 6 years, and ride 5-8k miles a year. I get asked this question a bunch by friends looking to get into the sport. My normal response is to just pick up a 29er hardtail in your price range. It will serve you well to get started, or will last you plenty of years as a fitness tool. I have spent time on everything from $800 entry level, to $10K full suspension bikes, and can say a entry level bike can go anywhere a high end bike can, it just may not be as much fun. When you spend money on a bike, you pay for light weight, and durability.
If you have questions on specific parts, builds feel free to pm me, I am happy to help.

Lawnboi

WKR
I'd echo a 29er hardtail. A decent hardtail can be had for a fair price. I'd shy away from budget full suspension bikes. I mountain bike regularly, great exercise. Like stated above a 29er hardtail is a bike that will keep you happy for years to come, even if you add others to the stable. Plus bikes are all the fad right now....

You need to consider where you will mostly be riding, and a budget.

And remember most times not only are higher end components lighter and pricier, but most times more durable.

SWOHTR

WKR
The only thing I would change on my entry level x-cal 7 is the fork. It's a spring fork, not gas, and downhills can get dicey if I'm not careful.

SWOHTR

WKR
Maybe. Check the frame (welds) for cracks, that's my advice. Everything else can be easily changed.

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
I'd echo a 29er hardtail. A decent hardtail can be had for a fair price. I'd shy away from budget full suspension bikes. I mountain bike regularly, great exercise. Like stated above a 29er hardtail is a bike that will keep you happy for years to come, even if you add others to the stable. Plus bikes are all the fad right now....

You need to consider where you will mostly be riding, and a budget.

And remember most times not only are higher end components lighter and pricier, but most times more durable.

Any brand/model recommendations?

Hunter6

WKR
I bought a bike this time last year for hunting and exercise. I had no idea what I wanted. I didn't know enough about the different brands to know.
My recommendation is to go to your local bike shop and ride all they recommend in your price range.
Just like buying a bow you can only do so much research before you just have to get them in your hands and see which you like the best.

---

Follow me on Instagram @hunter_hindman

OHtard

FNG
This is great advice. All brands that a bike shop carries will do the job. Just stay away from the big box stores, just like would for buying a bow. Also, please get yourself a helmet. I have broken 3 in the last year. They have save me a good bit of damage.

I bought a bike this time last year for hunting and exercise. I had no idea what I wanted. I didn't know enough about the different brands to know.
My recommendation is to go to your local bike shop and ride all they recommend in your price range.
Just like buying a bow you can only do so much research before you just have to get them in your hands and see which you like the best.

---

Follow me on Instagram @hunter_hindman

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
When I moved to Colorado last year, I decided I HAD to get back into mountain biking. I wound up buying a used 2014 Specialized Crave Expert 29'er that came with a dropper post. This bike was the backup bike for a guy that had a $5k+ full suspension rig. It had barely been ridden and looked like new. I paid about $800 for it which is a lot for a used bike but at my size I knew I couldn't get by with a cheapie. I ride this thing like I stole it and aside from a few flats and a broken chain, it has held up really well. This bike would have cost me roughly $2k new. My advice is to buy something lightly used if possible.

wapitibob

WKR
There's a big difference between a guy riding once in a while and a guy riding a thousand miles. If you're going to ride maybe 20 miles at a time, a few times a week, get a full suspension bike for a cpl grand. You can get 2017 Release 1 for $1800. Full suspension, 2.35 tires and 1x11 gears. I used to have a cheap hardtail then bought the release 1 this year. I wouldn't take another hardtail bike if it was free.