Question for you Train to Hunt Beasts

oxberger

FNG
Did my 1st T2T last week in Wisconsin and I witnessed some superhuman people. Did not know people could exert that type of effort, except pro athletes and Olympians. Can't say enough how impressed I was and motivated.

What are you doing for workouts to improve your cardio, VO2 and legs? Where can I go to find some workouts? Are the ones on the T2T website legit? I am looking for any ideas you may have.

I had the drive to keep going, but I didn't have the lunges and legs to do what my mind was asking (I red lined and then some). Should say I am out of shape and need to drop another 50lbs (already have dropped 30), but even with that, I NEED the cardio to be able to compete.

Something clicked with the suffering and I liked it and want to see how far I can improve for next year. I can honestly say I never worked that hard physically in my life.

Finally, can't say enough how great everyone was at the event and that is another huge reason why I want to continue to do this.

How the hell do you run the mountain course with a 50lb pack after doing the box workout? :D Amazing!

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say request the free workout that is offered on the Train To Hunt website (assuming it is still offered). I would think that to be a good starting place for you having already gotten some experience in those types of workouts by doing the competition. It’s a 4 week workout plan. I started training for the competition about 6-7 weeks beforehand so when I finished the scripted workout i went back and did the most challenging workouts again. Overall I think I was in pretty good shape for the competition. I thought that workout plan was excellent. I don’t have any experience with the other plans but I would think that they will not disappoint!

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm not one of the elite guys by a long shot but here is my .2... Give crossfit a try. My 1st TTH was in 2017. I almost died. I had been working hard at getting back into shape and had dropped a good bit of weight in the process. My focus was cardio. Running, elliptical machine, hiking and some mtn biking. But none of that helped me with those sandbags. I really didn't know if I was going to be able to finish all of the "get-ups" with the sandbags.

I learned I had gotten myself off to a good start, but I needed way more strength training. I started X-fit the next week. Sandbags, box jumps, burpee's, etc. That is all a regular part of a X-fit workout. For me, though I know I could do all that on my own at home, I simply don't. Now I do X-fit 3x a week, and I do cardio 3x per week. I think that gets me pretty balanced. I knew it made a big difference on my elk hunt in 17 over 16 b/c my legs were so much stronger)

When I did TTH again earlier this year I wanted to see how far I'd come as a bit of a litmus test. Unfortunately, due to extremely bad weather that day, the event was "scaled" to speed things along. But, even though it was not an apples2apples comparison, it was no contest how much of a difference adding in the X-fit made. I felt like I was actually competing, not just surviving. All the sandbag work was 1000x easier, and my ability to recover quickly and shoot was vastly improved. Again, I was not a threat to win it, but I was only competing with myself anyway.

I can't recommend it enough. If you are the type that will really push yourself at home, then I'm sure the TTH workouts are great. The Mtn Tough series also looks incredibly good for a DIY program. But, for me personally, while have no trouble pushing myself to run further and further each week, it just doesn't work the same for me with lifting. For some reason I really need the camaraderie of X-Fit to push myself that hard on strength training.

Congrats on your progress and Good luck to you this Fall

I'm not one of the elite guys by a long shot but here is my .2... Give crossfit a try. My 1st TTH was in 2017. I almost died. I had been working hard at getting back into shape and had dropped a good bit of weight in the process. My focus was cardio. Running, elliptical machine, hiking and some mtn biking. But none of that helped me with those sandbags. I really didn't know if I was going to be able to finish all of the "get-ups" with the sandbags.

I learned I had gotten myself off to a good start, but I needed way more strength training. I started X-fit the next week. Sandbags, box jumps, burpee's, etc. That is all a regular part of a X-fit workout. For me, though I know I could do all that on my own at home, I simply don't. Now I do X-fit 3x a week, and I do cardio 3x per week. I think that gets me pretty balanced. I knew it made a big difference on my elk hunt in 17 over 16 b/c my legs were so much stronger)

When I did TTH again earlier this year I wanted to see how far I'd come as a bit of a litmus test. Unfortunately, due to extremely bad weather that day, the event was "scaled" to speed things along. But, even though it was not an apples2apples comparison, it was no contest how much of a difference adding in the X-fit made. I felt like I was actually competing, not just surviving. All the sandbag work was 1000x easier, and my ability to recover quickly and shoot was vastly improved. Again, I was not a threat to win it, but I was only competing with myself anyway.

I can't recommend it enough. If you are the type that will really push yourself at home, then I'm sure the TTH workouts are great. The Mtn Tough series also looks incredibly good for a DIY program. But, for me personally, while have no trouble pushing myself to run further and further each week, it just doesn't work the same for me with lifting. For some reason I really need the camaraderie of X-Fit to push myself that hard on strength training.

Congrats on your progress and Good luck to you this Fall

Well said

Steadman

WKR
I am by no way a beast but have done three T2H comps now and will be competing in Nationals next week. What was said before is very much spot on. Last year was harder for me but this year has been a lot better. I’m almost 44 so the thing I have to work on is consistency. There is no off season now. I do CrossFit style workouts at home, a lot of weighted step ups, and I work construction for a living so I’m very active. The biggest thing that helps me is my nutrition and recovery. These events are such a great motivator for me to push myself throughout the year for sure. Hope this helps some.

OP
O

oxberger

FNG
Thank you for all the information. Keep it coming.

I just turned 45 and I have finally accepted my body / metabolism has changed. I'm not 25 anymore.

What type nutrition regiment are you following? Supplements?

I'm just eating clean, smaller more frequent meals with some protein shakes mixed in and a lot of water. Seems to be working, but if there is something better. Try to keep it simple, I know everyone is different. Just want to hear what has worked for you.

Thanks again for all the help.

Steadman

WKR
That’s what I do to. Eat clean but enjoy life. As far as supplements I take glucosamine and super krill for my joints. I take vitamin D and magnesium. I sip bcaas throughout the day and that seems to help me. You are right everyone is different. I found what works for me and now am tweeking it. But am happy with where I’m at. I stay away from the fad diets and have found something that is very sustainable and practical for the rest of my life. Good luck on your journey. Sounds like you are on the right track.

OFFHNTN

WKR
oxberger - I did the TTH WI as well, and would've been in your class. I don't think the 95 degree heat index did us any favor's that day! Wow it was hot and miserable, combine that with the hills and it was a sweaty day. lol
Sounds like you have the diet going well, do some cardio on your non weight lifting days, and if you have either Les Mills Body Pump or Cross-fit in your area, sign up!