Climbing sticks

LostArra

WKR
Anyone use the Muddy Aerolite sticks? I'm actually trying to decide between taking a climber or hang-on and sticks on my elk hunt. I've got a good spot for a stand for an afternoon sit.

The climber would work but if I get the hang-on set up and leave it through out the time I'm there I could get in the spot and up the tree much easier.

I've used Lone Wolf sticks and my only problem with them is I like the double step of the Muddy when hanging the stand.

Squirrels

WKR
I've had the XOP, Muddy Aerolite, Hawk Heliums, and Lone Wolf. Lone wolf for me, the double step is not a big deal to me. One foot on a peg and the other foot on the top of the stick works for me. I'm not a big guy though, and wear a 9.5 or 10 show so maybe that makes a difference. The other two I mentioned were nice, the Lone Wolf's just offer a weight savings and quality/finish above the others.

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
Anyone use the Muddy Aerolite sticks? I'm actually trying to decide between taking a climber or hang-on and sticks on my elk hunt. I've got a good spot for a stand for an afternoon sit.

The climber would work but if I get the hang-on set up and leave it through out the time I'm there I could get in the spot and up the tree much easier.

I've used Lone Wolf sticks and my only problem with them is I like the double step of the Muddy when hanging the stand.

I use the Hawk helium sticks, got them for that very reason.

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Climbers definitely serve their purpose, but if you're heading out to state to an unfamiliar area, I'd go with the sticks/stand. Hunt the sign, not for a straight tree somewhat close to the sign. That being said, I have 4 LW sticks and a LW Alpha II. Where I hunt out East, hang & hunt every time out is really the only option. Plan on bringing it out to CO this year as well, just in case stand hunting is the answer...

RCL

WKR
I use Muddy and Lone Wolf and like both.
I had a climber years back and it just didn't work for the area I hunt.

SoDaky

WKR
Have used them all.Prefer the Muddy 'Pro' sticks if u can find them.Pretty hard to go wrong with any mentioned though.The Pros are easier to carry and install for me.

Cml5895

FNG
The XOP sticks are hands down the best I have used. The offset from the tree makes it more comfortable when stepping because you're not on your toes. And once the sticks are locked in, they are extremely solid.

Squirrels

WKR
The XOP sticks are hands down the best I have used. The offset from the tree makes it more comfortable when stepping because you're not on your toes. And once the sticks are locked in, they are extremely solid.

I think your boot size matters when it comes to tree offset. I wear 10s and the Lone Wolf offset has never bothered me. Now, if I had bigger feet it might be a difference maker.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
Climbers definitely serve their purpose, but if you're heading out to state to an unfamiliar area, I'd go with the sticks/stand. Hunt the sign, not for a straight tree somewhat close to the sign. That being said, I have 4 LW sticks and a LW Alpha II. Where I hunt out East, hang & hunt every time out is really the only option. Plan on bringing it out to CO this year as well, just in case stand hunting is the answer...

I've hunted this spot for 5 years. A climber will work on the trees available but I think if I decide to leave the stand for a day or two it would be easier, faster and quieter to use the sticks and hang-on. I've decided to take my LW hang on and just go with my LW sticks. I'm swapping the straps out for ropes on the sticks.

Squirrels

WKR
I've hunted this spot for 5 years. A climber will work on the trees available but I think if I decide to leave the stand for a day or two it would be easier, faster and quieter to use the sticks and hang-on. I've decided to take my LW hang on and just go with my LW sticks. I'm swapping the straps out for ropes on the sticks.

Smart move. If you haven't already done so, get some stealth strips for the stand and sticks.

MIedge

FNG
I have a set of the LW sticks and I like them but I am not a huge fan of how they stack together. If you plan on going the LW stick route, I would suggest getting the XOP sticks which are similar but have larger steps and are significantly cheaper.

Another option that I think looks very interesting (I have not tried them but I plan on purchasing them in the future) is the Wild Edge steps. They pack down smaller than any climbing system and are as solid as it gets. With the wild edge system, there really isn't a tree you can't climb.

Squirrels

WKR
I have a set of the LW sticks and I like them but I am not a huge fan of how they stack together. If you plan on going the LW stick route, I would suggest getting the XOP sticks which are similar but have larger steps and are significantly cheaper.

Another option that I think looks very interesting (I have not tried them but I plan on purchasing them in the future) is the Wild Edge steps. They pack down smaller than any climbing system and are as solid as it gets. With the wild edge system, there really isn't a tree you can't climb.

I've has the Wild Edge Steps too, they are solid and take a good bit of use to really master them with any efficiency. In the end the LW sticks are the best option for me when I consider all things. Different strokes for different folks.

Have used them all.Prefer the Muddy 'Pro' sticks if u can find them.Pretty hard to go wrong with any mentioned though.The Pros are easier to carry and install for me.

Muddy Pro sticks for me as well. Im not sure they still make them though. The double step and the rope attachment more then make up for any weight penalty of the shorter stick.

I probably hang and remove my stand 30 times a fall, many times in the dark. Those sticks with a LW Alpha stand has been my go to for around 5 years now.

Good luck on your hunt! I cant bring myself to sit in a stand when im out west.

Trial153

WKR
I have a life time supply of 32" muddys that i modified with ropes..i also have a half a dozen muddy pros...the double sided steps on the muddys are a must for me.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
Muddy Pro sticks for me as well. Im not sure they still make them though. The double step and the rope attachment more then make up for any weight penalty of the shorter stick.

I probably hang and remove my stand 30 times a fall, many times in the dark. Those sticks with a LW Alpha stand has been my go to for around 5 years now.

Good luck on your hunt! I cant bring myself to sit in a stand when im out west.

I agree on using a stand in the west but I've seen elk in this spot on multiple occasions. Always after seeing them bed at a higher elevation and then move down thru this funnel before heading out to a meadow at dark. I'll probably try to sneak in there a few hours before dark IF I see them bedded earlier. It's a 2 hour evening sit at the most, no extended sits just hoping something shows up. I've been there on other occasions and had close encounters but couldn't get a shot.

I agree on using a stand in the west but I've seen elk in this spot on multiple occasions. Always after seeing them bed at a higher elevation and then move down thru this funnel before heading out to a meadow at dark. I'll probably try to sneak in there a few hours before dark IF I see them bedded earlier. It's a 2 hour evening sit at the most, no extended sits just hoping something shows up. I've been there on other occasions and had close encounters but couldn't get a shot.

Oh I wasn’t saying it’s not a good tactic, I just have a hard time doing it myself even though I sit 13-14 hours at a time for whitetail. Sounds like a good spot though. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would use which ever has the least amount of fabric to hold scent. If you use sticks I would probably pull the bottom when you leave and carry them with you. If you use a climber remove the seat. Elk are very sensitive to scent in their area. I have killed elk from treestands and several of my friends use them routinely. I haven't used one for elk in several years. But sometimes you find a situation where they will work. Just keep in mind that elk are sensitive to their surroundings.

elkyinzer

WKR
Hawk Heliums, modified to two 19.5 inch steps and with ropes instead of cambuckles. 9.5 pounds for 4 sticks. They stack better than anything else out there.

Consider a saddle setup too.

This is my setup with 4 sticks and a mini-treestand platform, pretty damn compact.

RR10mdh.jpg

2xzCl1B.jpg

Btaylor

WKR
Hawk Heliums, modified to two 19.5 inch steps and with ropes instead of cambuckles. 9.5 pounds for 4 sticks. They stack better than anything else out there.

Consider a saddle setup too.

This is my setup with 4 sticks and a mini-treestand platform, pretty damn compact.

RR10mdh.jpg

2xzCl1B.jpg

What rope are you using?