Tree Saddle Questions

Anyone using a tree saddle for whitetail hunting? Pros/cons compared to using a climber or hang-ons? Recently discovered this style of hunting and am very interested in getting into it. I hunt a very big piece of public in SC, as well as private in AL. Would love to get lighter and more mobile in the thick stuff. I have been using a old Summit Viper, and last season got the Open Shot top to lighten up.

Any rec’s on saddle brands? Have seen that Tethrd is coming out with a 15 oz model that looks like an awesome set up. Really think I would just need a saddle and some Muddy sticks, potentially using the Open Shot seat as a foot platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wesfromky

WKR
I love the saddle setup vs traditional stands. If you haven't yet, check out saddlehunter forums. I run a platform and a misty mtn titan harness. Last year I left a fixed static line in place and just carried in my platform, or would carry the platform and 3-4 sticks. This year I think I am going to try to run just two sticks with webbing extenders and the platform to be more mobile, along with a couple of fixed rope places. I ordered one of the tethrd platforms to go with one I bought from saddlehunter last year.

The thing with saddle hunting is there are a lot of different ways to do things, so keeping safety in mind, you might need to experiment a bit to find what works for you.

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Tried it for a year. I do a lot of all day sits during the rut so comfort was important... I went with the guidos web. It was undoubtably the most comfortable I have ever been in a tree and you can get into about anything. However, you must practice shooting from it extensively. I apparently didn’t spend enough time, couldn’t get comfortable, and it cost me two mature bucks. I am now back to a lock on.

OP
D
Tried it for a year. I do a lot of all day sits during the rut so comfort was important... I went with the guidos web. It was undoubtably the most comfortable I have ever been in a tree and you can get into about anything. However, you must practice shooting from it extensively. I apparently didn’t spend enough time, couldn’t get comfortable, and it cost me two mature bucks. I am now back to a lock on.

Were you just bowhunting? I feel like it would be fine for gun hunts without too much practice shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've looked at several videos of those things. There's no way I'd ever hunt out of one of those.

Brendan

WKR
Well, I sold my climber and am going to be hunting primarily out of a saddle this year (Still have my Lone Wolf Alpha Hang On and sticks if I need it though). I personally went with an Aerohunter Kite. I will be hunting areas where have no pre-set stands or ropes, maybe some shooting lanes, but everything comes in and out with me every time.

I personally think the biggest issue is just going to be getting used to doing something differently. Same thing as when the first time you used a climber, or hunted from a climber - it was probably a clusterf***. Takes a while to get your system dialed, know what to bring, where to hang it, and how to be the most comfortable.

Been saddle hunting five years, used pretty much every saddle out there. I am one of the lucky few that has been testing the new Tethrd stuff over the last couple months and i'll just say its AWESOME. When I switched to saddle hunting I sold every regular stand I had and have never looked back. There is for sure a learning curve and it takes some practice, but with all the videos out now the learning curve is cut way down and it's easier than ever to get into it. If you're not a member on saddle hunter.com I'd for sure check that out and start reading. TONS of info on there and some great guys as well.

sim22mie

Lil-Rokslider
Will be in a saddle for the first time this fall. It is different, but so much safer imo and obviously way lighter. I can't wait to use 6 wild edge steps, a whoopie sling, my new tethrd predator platform and wear my saddle in. So much different than lugging a light hang on and sticks at 22 lbs. Instead I'll be less than half that.