Anticosti Island

Adkjake

FNG
Just curious if anyone had ever done a hunt on Anticosti? What was your experience like? Is a DIY hunt possible? No plans on going. This is just a hunt that has always intrigued me.

I don’t mean to interrupt your topic I just realized your name..... I’m actually super interested as to how hunting whitetails in the vastness of the ADK is..... assuming the ADK in your name is Adirondacks

OP
A

Adkjake

FNG
Whitetail hunting in the ADK's is about as tough of a deer hunt as I can think of but that's what makes it so rewarding. Tons of vast trailess jungle type woods and limited deer densities. Most guys do large drives. I prefer to go into the large wilderness areas and hunt travel corridors between mountains or lakes. I really believe our deer are very migratory just like mule deer in the west. Snow is your best friend along with a good beech nut crop.
There is absolutely no hunting pressure once you get deep. I can't think of another place outside of the west that you can hike for 20-30 miles and not hit a road.

-Jake

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
This has always intrigued me as well, when I was younger my grandpa used to get field and stream and outdoor life magazines and I remember reading an article on the hunting there, and the bucks looked huge. Fast forward and I have looked around on the internet and now the bucks dont look so huge lol

Lukedog

FNG
I have hunted Anticosti Island for the past 1/2 dozen years. I have taken multiple bucks many times (you're allowed 2 deer) but the past 3 years have been tough hunting. 2015, I was able to take 2 bucks. 2016, I took a non-typical 10 pt on the last couple hours of hunting on the last day. Lat year I was skunked, I could have shot a young spike and had a few encounters with does.
Having sad that as yo can tell the herd has taken a hit. Harsh winters, a large tight herd and not enough browse are all factors in the herds size; MHO. I am going again this year but we moved the hunt week to the end of Nov beginning of Dec, after the rut. We were previously hunting just before the rut and are not able to get on the island for that week due to return customers.
I have always used Safari Anticosti and have had great experiences. You can also use Sepaq, some in our group have used them but prefer S.A.
Canada requires you to have a guide for hunting so no DIY on the island.

Anymore questions feel free to ask or PM.

Luke