Best Whitetail Buck Photo Contest 2016

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

I'm a little late getting this one up, but there's plenty of time to enter.

Although I'm a mule deer hunter, I've learned a ton from studying whitetail hunters. After all, big whitetails use many of the same tactics as big mule deer use to evade hunters- they hide in the thick stuff!

One of the best books on down-to-earth whitetail hunting stories is Ryan Hatfield's "Idaho's Greatest Whitetails". I have a copy for the winner of this contest. Rules are the same as the Mule Deer and Elk Contests....

Myself, Ryan Avery, and Rokslide member ChrisS of Syracuse, NY will be choosing will be judging the harvest photos FROM 2016 based on the following:

1) WOW Factor. Is it a great photo that grabs the viewer? This takes in lighting, color, uniqueness, etc.
2) Composition- by that I mean the way in which the different parts that make up your photo are arranged- is there too much background, not enough animal? or visa versa? Is the buck's nose cut off the frame? Or is it a good balance between the buck, the hunter, the terrain? (the hunter is not required to appear in the photo.)
3) Size of animal. This doesn't mean biggest animal wins, but if #1 and #2 are equal, we'll chose the bigger animal.

I recommend using a photobucket account or the like to post photos as they'll appear full size on the thread. We won't be offering personal consultations on uploading photos, as you can do a search on Rokslide and find out how to upload.

Also, by posting on this thread, you agree to let Rokslide use any of the photos in promotional material without compensation.

Post 'em up boys and girls, any legal whitetail (no high fences please) from any state (Coues can go on here, too) and Mexico

Also, as the title says, 2016 kills only, previous year's won't be considered.

UPDATE: As there seems to be more Whitetail hunts still going on, we'll leave this thread open for entries until Sunday 12/18. Get your entries in by then and we'll consider them. Thanks!

UPDATE 12/26/16 OK Whitetail slayers! We got a better response on this contest than we thought we would, so we upped the ante. Besides the 1st prize- Idaho's Greatest Whitetails- we added 2nd place:
attachment.php

Larry Benoit's remastered classic: How to Bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life

Third place:
attachment.php

any shirt (not including hoodies) in stock (including size) from the Rokslide store: CLOTHING – Rokslide Online Store

Rokslide member and Whitetail hunter ChrisS helped Ryan and I narrow down all the entries to the top three:

1st place:
attachment.php

TBoschma! This dude knows how to take a photo as he also placed 2nd in our Mule Deer contest!

For 2nd place:

griffinit! Another Rokslide killer, he had two bucks in this contest, two bulls in the elk contest AND a giant mule deer in that contest, taking Honorable Mention in both those. No Honorable mention here, though, and takes the Benoit book.

And for 3rd place

Devonian's very unique photo. We usually shy away from the bloody ones, but somehow he made this one work. He takes the Rokslide shirt.

All you guys need to email me at [email protected] with your shipping info (and size for the shirt winner) within 10 days (so January 5th) to claim your prizes or I'll move someone else into your slot. Please post up on the thread, too, we want to hear from you!

Thanks and hoping to make this contest even better next year!

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
bowuntr, good to have you on here and glad you broke the ice.

If I remember right, you won our mule deer contest a few years back- yes?

elkyinzer

WKR
Not a buck...

Buck contest?! Robby you know gender discrimination ain't PC these days, c'mon man!

Kidding, but it's pretty slow around these parts, and outsmarting the big woods mama does is every bit as tough as a mature buck. I felt pretty good about refilling the freezer with this old girl. Hoping I can add a buck to the mix in the next month!

PA mountain doe, public land, 10/14, 5 yard shot.

hobbes

WKR
Not sure if photos of my son's and daughter's bucks qualify. If not, no complaints here. It was getting dark fast, so I was just happy to get a couple shots.

DV7Cye.jpg

Last edited:
c9b31c127ad40fd5c00d04d88d6e9878.jpg

46afbc00b1537cccd47fdb1297b4469c.jpg

2df20f81e882ec8d1c703f3961260ab9.jpg

Last year's buck with my recurve! Not sure if I was aloud to post 3 pictures, if not I'm sorry!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
c9b31c127ad40fd5c00d04d88d6e9878.jpg

46afbc00b1537cccd47fdb1297b4469c.jpg

2df20f81e882ec8d1c703f3961260ab9.jpg

Last year's buck with my recurve! Not sure if I was aloud to post 3 pictures, if not I'm sorry!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Amazing buck logan. Pretty sure it's needs to be a deer from this year to qualify. Can't wait to see what you tag this year

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

elkyinzer

WKR
I was fortunate to tie my PA buck tag onto this decent mountain buck Saturday morning. I knew of a couple of bigger guys out there but with one vacation day remaining this was not the year I was going to start trophy hunting.

PA mountain buck, state forest land, 9 AM on 10/22, 10 yard shot 20 yard recovery. More complete story on my live hunt post.

Last edited:

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
Great bucks (and doe :)) guys! Time to start getting serious for whitetails around here next weekend. Still warm though. Needing a cold front in the worst way.

TBoschma

Lil-Rokslider
My 2016 Montana whitetail I respect the guys that can get it done year after year on big whitetail bucks! These guys are so much fun to hunt and always keep a person guessing I can't wait to see what my wife gets into come November.

ec05a746145a23d5c5666fdad92b7d53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
TBoschma
way to get it done on a big western whitey.

Longbowlogan
sorry that wasn't clear in the post (I just fixed it) but to qualify, the photo has to be from 2016. Although not qualified to win, I'm leaving it as it's a great buck, and with a recurve!